What's worse in 2012: Refereeing or Channel 9 Commentary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stark Industry

Waterboy
Reaction score
Channel 9 commentators are among the harshest critics of NRL referees this year. They spend a lot of time moaning about bad calls during their live coverage. Added to that Ray Warren is on TRIPLE M radio station and regularly offloads his gripes regarding refs on the listeners instead of spending some air time talking about the amazing standard of skill and athleticism that is also a part of the current matches.

Fair enough, some may say, as there have been many a howler from refs this year. However, refs who have made errors can be removed from handling big games or publicly scolded. What about then, the standard of commentary we are fed from the Channel 9 team? How well does it hold up to scrutiny? Warren, Peter Sterling, and Gus Gould are professionals paid to deliver an intelligent, insightful, and entertaining call to accompany the slick work done by camera crew and production people. Is that what they are in fact doing? I put it to you that what they are in fact giving us viewers is a steady stream of verbal bile that is akin to the criminal correcting torture as seen on "A Clockwork Orange". Some painful examples:

- Gould saying , "you can't do that" when Inu caught a ball one handed in the Manly match at Brookvale over and over and over again
- Warren talking about something irrelevant when Greg Eastwood made a break which lead to a try during the Souths semi final. He caught on just as Eastwood was virtually going over. Eastwood started his run from about the *halfway mark.
- Same game. Gould ranting about Greg Inglis' chase of Eastwood- a chase which failed to stop Eastwood from scoring a try- which included inappropriate allusions to the Queensland spirit and greatness of Inglis at a time when the Dogs had just put an exclamation mark on their victory over Souths. No mention of Eastwood's skills in catching the ball point point blank and then outrunning an Australian fullback to score.
- Warren and Gould arguing. Like all the time.
- Gould saying, "No. No. No. No. No" repeatedly. ( I for one can never get enough of it)
- Sterling trying to sound objective over Jamie Lyons, whom he clearly dislikes.*
- Gould eating chips in commentary box and Warren bringing the matter up
- Sterling doing promos for other network nine shows during call but clearly lacking the required conviction to sell the programs
- The ill conceived idea that Ray Hadlee can call a game of footy on TV. Please.
- Gould extolling the virtues of tuning in at 7am to watch high school football on channel 9 this Sunday. Meantime there's a bloody tense semi final between Dogs and Souths on, Gus, and us viewers would rather focus on it?
- Anything Brad Fittler says. Anything.

I could go on (and clearly have) but I wager there are plenty of other examples of dribble from them you could cite here.

It appears that the only commentator worth his salt is a flipping Queenslander. One Wally Lewis. Who makes sensible and intelligent observations consistently - except he yells like a Fatty Vautin when QLD score during Origin.

So if this sloppy commentary team any better at their jobs than the current crop of referees? Or should they be sacked and replaced with someone who is hungrier and funnier in the role?*

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So very true. The same can be said with print journalists. There doesn't seem to be any one who can keep them in check.

iDoggy

Waterboy
Reaction score
I agree. The thing which gets me is how they pretend they don't see things which happen in the game... they try to take the focus of a decision by talking about something completely different. Sterlo is my worst, then Gould who is so bias he doesn't care if it's obvious. Yes, Lewis is one of the best to be honest, sad but true. That is why I love watching the games live but I do watch the replay at home again and then you have to put up with the monkeys in the commentry box!

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hate Channel 9 commentators when the team they want to win isn't, they start talking about their golf games or some random subject it really annoys the cr@p out of me.

TJW

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
#1 problem - "The ill conceived idea that Ray Hadlee can call a game of footy on TV. Please." hadlee has to go!

i dont care about the rest as long as he stops yelling at me every friday night, hedoesn'ttakeabreathefor80minutes

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What used to get up my nerve was when Ray Warren would point out the missing players
on the opposition side when we beat them.... was hardly a comment when half our team
were on the sidelines in the dark days of 05 and 08....

The old bastard is struggling to call the right players names , he has always been overated....

Nein can also fark off with constantly promoting their up and coming shows during the play....

Stark Industry

Waterboy
Reaction score
That is why I love watching the games live but I do watch the replay at home again and then you have to put up with the monkeys in the commentry box!
Exactly. It's amazing how you read a game so differently to the commentators when you are at the ground watching it without their interpretation. For example, I was at the match on Saturday . Yesterday I watched the replay and Gould made the statement, "the Dogs are really rattled" in the first half. Well that's simply untrue. The Dogs defense line was structured (other than Kasiano's mistake in rushing out in Isaac try) and functioning as at other times this year. Watching it from a high vantage point helps one see things like that. I never felt they were panicked or rushing things and their mistake levels were kept to a minimum. In short, the Dogs weren't rattled! And Souths weren't "on top" except when they got 3 penalties in a row to help them to 8-4. Gould is past it and irritating. Maybe he should focus full time on the Panthers job.

Stark Industry

Waterboy
Reaction score
I hate Channel 9 commentators when the team they want to win isn't, they start talking about their golf games or some random subject it really annoys the cr@p out of me.
Or the races. Mustn't forget the races.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Channel 9 commentary hands down. Half the problems start with d!ckheads like Gould giving their opinion which is wrong and then b!tching about how sh!t the refereeing is.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The 9 team are worse, at least the video ref thinks before he makes a stupid call

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like the Channel 9 team. They're better than anything else we have in rugby league. And I like that they can be a bit off the cuff, it makes it a bit more relatable. You can tell all of them love the game of rugby league, just as we do. I'm glad they're not monotonous drones like the Fox team.

The Gould comment about Inu catching the ball has nothing wrong with it. He's simply admiring the level of skill it took to make such a play, especially considering the level of calmness Inu had when doing it.

Stark Industry

Waterboy
Reaction score
And he does that by saying, "You can't do that" over and over ad nauseum. Well of course. Understandable. If you are a simpleton.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theres two solutions here 1) Hit the mute button 2) Go to the game

The Nine team generally provide great commentary and provide insightful opinions and perspectives. However, like with any opinions, they are open to criticism.

If you replace them with others, I guarantee there will be a section of the audience who will still not be satisfied. Sure, let's get rid of Vossy because he's annoying and let's bring in Hadley. Great in theory but clearly a case of be careful what you wish for.

Then again, maybe we are expecting commentators to not have personalities.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
#1 problem - "The ill conceived idea that Ray Hadlee can call a game of footy on TV. Please." hadlee has to go!

i dont care about the rest as long as he stops yelling at me every friday night, hedoesn'ttakeabreathefor80minutes
Absolutely. I don't know how anyone can think that Andrew Voss is a worse alternative to Ray Hadley. Hadley manages the cardinal sin of commentators of managing to make exciting games seem duller than they are.

Big_Dawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laurie daley has to be the worst commentator it is painful listening to him call dogs games

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Vossy has been quite good this year to be honest. I think this commentary thing is not an issue at all.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theres two solutions here 1) Hit the mute button 2) Go to the game

The Nine team generally provide great commentary and provide insightful opinions and perspectives. However, like with any opinions, they are open to criticism.

If you replace them with others, I guarantee there will be a section of the audience who will still not be satisfied. Sure, let's get rid of Vossy because he's annoying and let's bring in Hadley. Great in theory but clearly a case of be careful what you wish for.

Then again, maybe we are expecting commentators to not have personalities.
Option 3 - If its a Sat/Sun/Mon, live pause the game so radio commentary catches up

Stark Industry

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think Vossy has been quite good this year to be honest. I think this commentary thing is not an issue at all.
I agree about Voss. He's the best in my book: witty, quick and puts Gould in his place when he needs to. As for commentary not being an issue, I'm afraid with the Nine Network winning the rights to televise NRL for years to come you're kidding yourself if u actually believe that. This aging, biased and unprofessional team will be commentating for the foreseeable future and theres no likely hood of improvement. Fox, by the way, is no better and they seem to only have two cameras. Channel Nine footage and sound is great but the boys in the box need a kick up the backside. They're too complacent and getting sloppier each year.

The point of the thread is since the Channel 9 commentary team is so critical of refereeing, how does it's own performance rate when put under similar scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.