Bulldogs want Des to stay for a Decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
DES Hasler may only be in the infancy of his four-year deal with Canterbury but as far as chief executive Todd Greenberg is concerned, he sees the Bulldogs coach remaining for a decade.

The Bulldogs boss told The Australian about the difference Hasler has made at the club since he prised him away from premier Manly in a stunning raid at the end of last season.

Hasler can achieve his own slice of immortality when the Bulldogs face Melbourne in the grand final on Sunday night. A win will see Hasler become the first coach in history to win premierships with different clubs in successive seasons.

"One thing I've learned through this process is you don't allow your very best people to come off contract," Greenberg said. "Des has been wonderful. He's one year into a four-year program for us and we're looking for some sustainable success.

"We both spoke about four years being a minimum term because we think that's important. It takes time to get your structures right and your processes and all that sort of stuff.

"Des has only just turned 50 so he's got a lot of time to coach yet. He's got another good decade of coaching in him if he wants to.

"I think his modern-day record speaks for itself and what he's done this year with the Bulldogs has been a phenomenal achievement.

"He's brought players who other people didn't want and he's made them solid first-graders who are performing consistently. That's the sign of a good coach."

The celebrations had barely started for the Sea Eagles last season when Hasler and the Bulldogs dropped the bombshell that he was heading to Belmore.

Hasler had become increasingly frustrated at dealing with certain officials at Manly and Greenberg was well aware that the two-time premiership-winning coach was looking for a change when he first made contact.

Greenberg refused to gloat about the appointment now the Bulldogs have made it to Sunday night's decider with Hasler at the helm, while the Sea Eagles under Geoff Toovey fell one game short after being bundled out by the Storm last Friday night. "When I met him for the first time we spoke for hours about our respective philosophies about football and what it is to build a club," Greenberg said.

"We were very clear on each other's philosophies and that's why I think it's worked. It was clear to me that he was in a club that was a little bit dysfunctional.

"It was fantastic and it was a great opportunity for us. I don't look at it like that (having the last laugh).

"I just know that this time last year we were searching for a coach and searching for someone to put some process and structure around our footy program, and I couldn't have thought of a better person than Des Hasler and that's why I worked so hard to get him.

"I'm obviously very pleased with where we're at and the work he's done."

Bulldogs winger Jonathan Wright conceded Hasler could be an unusual character but maintained he was a fantastic coach.

"He's highly respected amongst the players and he's always thinking two steps ahead," Wright said.

"He speaks a bit of Swahili sometimes but . . . everything he says has a point. Not just in footy but in life in general."

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One thing I've learned through this process is you don't allow your very best people to come off contract," Greenberg said. "Des has been wonderful. He's one year into a four-year program for us and we're looking for some sustainable success.

Note to the Manly Board :laugh: :spit::madgrin:

jammac

New Pup
Reaction score
Long live Dessie's Dog's. Here's to an 80's style domination.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
decade isn't long enough

our main priority of signings has to be reynolds now

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Best CEO in the game
Best coach in the game
Best player in the game (Barba)
Best players in the game in other positions (Dally Ms)
Best facilities for player recovery and development in the game
Best ground in the game (despite it not being the most atmospheric. Im talking facilities, capacity, parking, public transport)

Best fans in the game (most passionate)

Soon to be the best team in the game.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Best CEO in the game
Best coach in the game
Best ground in the game (despite it not being the most atmospheric. Im talking facilities, capacity, parking, public transport)

Simply THE BEST http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTgWxveYFBU

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
What's the source of this article btw?

LOL @ "It was clear to me that he was in a club that was a little bit dysfunctional".

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
We should extend his contract ..whatever happens on Sunday ., we should be very proud of what des and the team have achieved

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Best CEO in the game
Best coach in the game

here here! :grinning:

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol watch everyone call for his head when we lose a few in a row at some stage in the future even if its because half our team is injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.