Who Will Be The NRL's First Million Dollar Player?

Who Will Be The NRL's First Million Dollar Player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
A salary cap of $5 million has already been agreed for next year but that is expected to rise to $6 million under a new collective bargaining agreement with the RLPA.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz24CbGFaL5
Taking the above into consideration, it is very likely that the elite players in our game will be commanding $1m-a-year very soon.

So the question is: Who will be the NRL's first million dollar player?

Throw up some names and ill add a poll.

Obviously the names that come to mind are:

Thurston
Hayne
Cam Smith
Bunji

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it will be JT.. when he comes off contract he will be demanding that much...

Having said that however, I fear that the Roosters will bent over to SBW and make him the $1M man. From what I have heard they offered him in the vicinity of $900K plus, and when I asked him he just smiled and didn't say anything...

Personally, I'd rather spend the money on a quality Half like JT.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think all of those 3 will be too old by the time we get a cap which realistically lets clubs offer 1m/year contracts to players.

With 1m being 20% of the cap, it seems tough to build a successful and balanced team around a player getting 1m. Roosters would probably do it though.

TrickmA

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sonny Bill, JT, Cam Smith in that order.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think all of those 3 will be too old by the time we get a cap which realistically lets clubs offer 1m/year contracts to players.

With 1m being 20% of the cap, it seems tough to build a successful and balanced team around a player getting 1m. Roosters would probably do it though.
It could be $800k-$900k from cap, then rest from third-party.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It could be $800k-$900k from cap, then rest from third-party.
Good point, I didn't consider non-sponsor third party deals. Could well happen then.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure thurston still has 3-4 years left on his current contract, but i reckon he will do anything to re-negotiate the terms. Thats if he already doesnt have a clause in there.

My vote goes to JT.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
When is Billy Slater's contract up?

Hayne's is up next year... but if you believe rumours his attitude is quite destructive so not would a club want to pay that much?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Most of the players mentioned above will be in their 30s by the time the full $6M cap kicks in and/or when they come off their current contracts. I'd say the first $1M player is someone who may not have even cracked first grade yet...

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be Barba. He is still very young and will require a big contract upgrade now that he is one of the best players in the NRL. $1m, maybe not but his next contract sure will be worth a lot.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
JT most def.

Scum Bag Williams wont be on $1m at the Roosters, him and Khoder will be demanding $2m Noyce and Politis will concur to lick his nuts and bend over backwards to have him

SoulCrusher

Banned
Reaction score
$BW. He might even get it after next year, it'll take atleast $1mil to get him to suit up for the chooks after the horror year they're bound to have in 2013.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
have added Billy Slater.

Didnt add Ben Barba cause everyone here will vote for him regardless lol

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Glen Lazarus was the first RL player to earn $1m a year

MrDogzOfWar

Dogz At War!
Reaction score
If a player does get paid 1 million a year he will get about $800 to $900 thousand a year in Nrl and others with Sponsers..

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glen Lazarus was the first RL player to earn $1m a year
I intentially put "NRL" in the title cause i know there was big money thrown around in the 90's. Apparantly mundine was on like $600k back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.