Nine and Fox Sports to retain NRL rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...cast-rights-deal/story-fn2mcuj6-1226455414430

Just to comment on this. In the comments everyone is saying that its all about the money for the NRL and they are not looking towards the future. imo the game isnt in a strong enough position yet. This is the first time since SL that the game hasnt been undersold. Where as the AFL have been a financially good state for a while.

I reckon come the deal expansion will be a more realistic option.
The gAyFL wanted the 2 expanded teams as part of their TV Deals and are looking ahead in what they want to do in the next 5-10 years.

The ARLC did not look beyond the end of this new TV deal... what growth of the game were they expecting from this new TV deal?

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
No expansion, another 5 years of 9:30 friday games and delayed sunday games. Typical NRL bullsh!t. I wish NRL was run like the NFL, then it would be the greatest sport on earth

Stinky Wizzleteats

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
read in the telegraph - no new team till 2017
You read/pay for the Telegraph? ;)

Nine had the say with regards to expansion, and didn't want any new teams. Cited the example of GWS and Gold Coast Suns as not a big money spinner for TV networks.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
what growth of the game were they expecting from this new TV deal?
Ensure the stability of existing teams. And finally strengthen our grass roots for footy. i dunno....

I think this deal is more about the players and the game finally getting what they wait so long to get.

I think the next deal is where we will start seeing changes.

The best thing about this deal is we will no longer see our superstars switch codes or go to England. It will be the opposite now.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ensure the stability of existing teams. And finally strengthen our grass roots for footy. i dunno....

I think this deal is more about the players and the game finally getting what they wait so long to get.

I think the next deal is where we will start seeing changes.

The best thing about this deal is we will no longer see our superstars switch codes or go to England. It will be the opposite now.
I agree with this. This new deal, for all of its faults, will strengthen the financial viability of the clubs and the competition in general. 2017 will then be a good time to bring in 2 new sides.

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how much of next years cap we have used in all of our re-signings this year. Maybe now the cap might be a bit larger than first anticipated and will allow us to make one more signing (or retain one more player).... not that we really need anyone else just saying we might still have room under the cap.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I understand that Channel 9 need to profit from ads, but 1 live game out of 3 is absolutely LAUGHABLE. I never ever watch delayed games, and I never will. If I cannot go and watch it at a pub (can't get foxtel) I will continue to watch them live how I do now (which does not benefit channel 9 at all).

Why oh why must we always be behind the AFL? God I hate Channel 9.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I wonder how much of next years cap we have used in all of our re-signings this year. Maybe now the cap might be a bit larger than first anticipated and will allow us to make one more signing (or retain one more player).... not that we really need anyone else just saying we might still have room under the cap.
The cap for next year is 5 mil, if that helps you work out figures. I expect it will rise significantly every year for a few years to come.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
I agree with this. This new deal, for all of its faults, will strengthen the financial viability of the clubs and the competition in general. 2017 will then be a good time to bring in 2 new sides.
Despite AFL clubs having the largest membership base and the largest sponsorship deals, 6 gAyFL clubs were struggling financially before the expansion were announced, and still struggling after the new TV Deal.

the gAyFL were threatning the Kangaroos to either re-locate to GC or get kicked out of the comp and be playing in the VFL much how the Bears are right now in RL.

When the gAyFL were negotiating their new TV deal, they were thinking forward to the future, making their game grow. Thats why they introduced the Gay Western Sydney Giants and GC to the comp spashing $200m each on them.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only way that there will ever be 3 live games is if there are more stopages during the actual game.

i.e. everytime there is a scrum or restart there is a set 45sec period set aside for ads. and you cant play on for 45secs. Something like that im pretty sure there was a thread on this earlier in the year

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
The only way that there will ever be 3 live games is if there are more stopages during the actual game.

i.e. everytime there is a scrum or restart there is a set 45sec period set aside for ads. and you cant play on for 45secs. Something like that im pretty sure there was a thread on this earlier in the year
In a perfect world, you'd think the sponsoring of replays, half time, team line up announcements, plus advertising betting and tv shows during the actual commentary would be enough advertising revenue without having to stick an ad-break in more often.

Makes me wonder what the balance is between showing a game live, getting a larger audience and therefore larger revenue from less amounts of ads and showing a game on delay, getting a smaller audience and getting a larger revnue from more ads.

MrDogzOfWar

Dogz At War!
Reaction score
What can we do.. We all don't want this but when money comes in people's faces they love life...

mareeta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What can we do.. We all don't want this but when money comes in people's faces they love life...
While the ratings are at it's highest they won't change anything, the only way things will change is to switch off. If you have foxtel watch the replay.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
You read/pay for the Telegraph? ;)

Nine had the say with regards to expansion, and didn't want any new teams. Cited the example of GWS and Gold Coast Suns as not a big money spinner for TV networks.
read yes - its at the cafe where i buy my coffee
pay no

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
lets do the maths on what each could be getting from this TV deal each year...

$1.025b over 5 years

$205m per year

If 16 clubs get $10m a year from the NRL which should easily cover the Salary cap = $160m per year, it leaves the NRL with $45m left over in the bank and this isnt including sponsorships, online content and NZ Sky sports

Even if the NRL expanded from to 18 teams, they'll still have money left in the bank, so again it is a massive win for the ARLC

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
No expansion, another 5 years of 9:30 friday games and delayed sunday games. Typical NRL bullsh!t. I wish NRL was run like the NFL, then it would be the greatest sport on earth
yeah right the nfl is pimping not like the nrl and they dont have to compete with a gay sport like afl

you think? sbw prime example - say he was on 1 mil after this tv deal - he could just say to french rugby well im on this now how about you give me 1.5 mil

I understand that Channel 9 need to profit from ads, but 1 live game out of 3 is absolutely LAUGHABLE. I never ever watch delayed games, and I never will. If I cannot go and watch it at a pub (can't get foxtel) I will continue to watch them live how I do now (which does not benefit channel 9 at all).

Why oh why must we always be behind the AFL? God I hate Channel 9.
i never watch a replay game ever - i have to know the live score, i kow heaps of people like me and why the fuuck would i want to watcha replay full of adds

id be happy with less subs and more stopages - the people that run the game wont change

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
lets do the maths on what each could be getting from this TV deal each year...

$1.025b over 5 years

$205m per year

If 16 clubs get $10m a year from the NRL which should easily cover the Salary cap = $160m per year, it leaves the NRL with $45m left over in the bank and this isnt including sponsorships, online content and NZ Sky sports

Even if the NRL expanded from to 18 teams, they'll still have money left in the bank, so again it is a massive win for the ARLC
the afl costs 6 mil to run with all admin

the nrl before the new comission cost 20 mil << someone is pissing money down the drain at the nrl

nrl is run by clowns

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
While the ratings are at it's highest they won't change anything, the only way things will change is to switch off. If you have foxtel watch the replay.
Switching off doesn't even do anything because of how ratings are tallied. The countries ratings are determined by a few thousand people country wide who had special boxes attached to their televisions. It is then averaged out. It is an absolute farce.

Status
Not open for further replies.