Tamou encourages Kiwi's to play SOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't believe this bloke, if he is calling himself a Kiwi he should be dumped.

NSW front-rower James Tamou has fuelled the debate about Kiwis playing Origin by boldly telling other young New Zealand players: "If I can play Origin, you can too."
In a move that is certain to infuriate those who firmly believe Origin is under threat from Kiwi influence, the 23-year-old giant says he hopes he has paved the way for other young players from his homeland to follow him.

It comes as the ARL Commission searches for a solution to the growing issue about New Zealand-born players earning selection for NSW or Queensland, with the possibility of banning those who have played for the Junior Kiwis from pulling on an Origin jumper.

"I've opened something up," Tamou told The Daily Telegraph. "The New Zealand boys who might have been here since they were young might have been too scared, or too concerned about the media and hype about it, to play for NSW or Queensland. So I hope some boys might be looking at me and say, 'Well, if he did it, that's what I want to do'. I hope I might've started something there."

Having considered Auckland-born Bulldogs prop Sam Kasiano for the decider, the Maroons raised further eyebrows on this side of the Tweed when they named New Zealand-born Ben T'eo in their 20-man squad for Wednesday night's blockbuster at Suncorp Stadium.

The ARLC has intensified its search for new eligibility rules for international football in a bid to head off confusion over who can play in the domestic game's showpiece event.

It is understood ARLC director of integration and development Andrew Hill late last year attempted to convince the Rugby League International Federation into adopting international junior matches (under-20s) as a defining criteria.

In other words, those players who represented the Junior Kiwis would be banned from playing Origin and would have to play for New Zealand. Under that proposal, Tamou, Kasiano and T'eo would not be allowed to play.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I've opened something up," Tamou told The Daily Telegraph. "The New Zealand boys who might have been here since they were young might have been too scared, or too concerned about the media and hype about it, to play for NSW or Queensland. So I hope some boys might be looking at me and say, 'Well, if he did it, that's what I want to do'. I hope I might've started something there."
You're no pioneer - lucky to play SOO. Don't destroy the concept.

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a douche, As I've said before, If someone who is of New Zealand heritage whatever, if they were born and have lived in Australia their entire life, I have no problem with them being selected to play for Australia and or NSW/QLD if and only if they were born and bred in that respective state. However a New Zealander who once their 19-20 moves to Australia for FG NRL, they should have no relevance or bearing on SOO selection. We all know QLD find the loopholes, but they shouldn't be allowed to play. Screw trying to expand SOO.

P

Paint.

stfu tamou, just hit the ball up and let everyone else do the talking.

BAD INFLUENCE

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's fcking lucky to be wearing the sky blue let alone talking sh¡t!!!

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cant wait for this descendant of dole bludgers to play for Aus vs NZ.

He will be belted so hard, once he wakes up from his coma he will thing he is back in his Marai.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If they don't do something about this soon, NZ won't have any players to choose from, it'll be the Warriors vs the Kiwis playing for Aus.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
this whole origin selection process is fast becoming a joke

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Origin will never be what it was

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This could be the beginning of the end of SOO as we know it. The rules of origin should be where you were born NOT where you first played the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.