Bowen firming as favourite to replace slater

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogslyfe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What a load!!! Matt Bowen is old as shiiii http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...vourite-to-replace-slater-20120620-20ojd.html

MATT BOWEN is poised to receive a shock recall to the Origin arena for the deciding game at Suncorp Stadium.

Bowen is one of several fullbacks in contention to replace the injured Billy Slater, along with Greg Inglis, Ben Barba and Darius Boyd.

However, Maroons sources have told the Herald Bowen has the inside running, and can cement his place with a solid performance in Saturday night's clash with Canberra at Townsville. Senior Queensland players have been approached for their feedback on who they think should wear the No.1 jersey. Their response has almost unanimously come back as Bowen, a squad favourite who has a proven track record in the Origin cauldron.

Advertisement: Story continues below Johnathan Thurston has been particularly strong in pushing for Bowen. The pair form a lethal combination at club level for North Queensland, and Thurston believes his selection would limit the disruption in the lead-up to the decider. There would also be the added bonus of having fellow Cowboys Brent Tate and Matt Scott in the side.

Much of the focus for the Maroons will revolve around providing legendary prop Petero Civoniceva a fitting farewell. However, it is understood senior players view it as an opportunity to give Bowen, a 10-game veteran for the Maroons, a representative send-off of his own.

''Matt Bowen is in the box seat,'' the source told the Herald. ''The selectors are keen to closely scrutinise the form of all of the candidates over the weekend, but there's a feeling that he is the best option. His club combination with Thurston, in particular, and Tate is important and will mean they hit the ground running in camp.''

Bowen's selection would cap a remarkable return to the top flight. His career was at the crossroads when he underwent his second knee reconstruction three years ago. However, the 30-year-old has bounced back strongly to score nine tries this season.

Barba has been in tremendous form for Canterbury, and his defence has improved markedly under the coaching of Des Hasler. Inglis also has claims, making the No.1 jersey his own at South Sydney. However, the source said the team preferred not strengthening one position by weakening another, and it's likely Inglis will remain in the centres.

Inglis said yesterday he was still holding out hope that Slater would make a miraculous recovery, but that if the Storm star wasn't fit he was happy to let Meninga decide his position. ''The beauty of it is that you can put me there, or you can put Benny Barba or Matty Bowen or Darius Boyd back there,'' Inglis said. ''No matter who is there, they'll do a job for us.''

Inglis said the elbow injury he suffered playing for Souths in their win over Parramatta last weekend wouldn't stop him taking the field against the Broncos in Brisbane tomorrow night. ''My elbow will be fine, fit and ready to go,'' he said. ''There's no issues, just a small tear. Nothing has snapped, it's just a bit of swelling around the capsule, and I've stretched the ligaments.''

Barba said yesterday he would be thrilled if Meninga went for him to replace Slater. ''If I ever get the chance to wear that Maroons jumper, I'll take it head on,'' Barba said. ''It's definitely a dream of mine to do that.''

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...lace-slater-20120620-20ojd.html#ixzz1yNbWnNZi

luke

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
good i'd be happy if we had no soo reps

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
Safety approach by Meninga if true, his inability to actually coach a side is showing. Yes, i'm aware of MB and JT combination at club level if anybody wanted to remind me.

dogslyfe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ben Barba is killing is and Bowen is overrated imo.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because he's mates with Thurston, what a joke, Barba has been more exciting all year but I reckon the blues would try and bash him out of the game.

B

bulldogs_fan_69

Safety approach by Meninga if true, his inability to actually coach a side is showing. Yes, i'm aware of MB and JT combination at club level if anybody wanted to remind me.
This. Matt bowen is a gun but has been no where near as good as Barba

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bowen has been great the last few weeks. He probably deserves it. Having said that, the whole "have a fullback as 19th man and not choose him" is a very NSW-ish choice. We all know where that kind of thinking got us.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Bowen selection would be based on existing connections, reliability, proven record and recent form. I can't fault Meninga if he decides to go down this path.

However, Barba has been in awesome form and would have a strong case for inclusion. As this is game 3, there will be a weight of expectation and pressure for Barba to perform (not only because it's a series decider but also as an adequate replacement for Slater). I would be interested to see what happens to Barba in the event that he is selected, does not perform as expected and QLD lose the series. Alot for a debutant to handle. From a NSW point of view, I hope he is selected and has a shocker, but broadley speaking, would this be a make or break game for him?

Stringer

CAR RAMROD
Reaction score
I see the logic, but we won't win unless inglis goes to FB. If NSW smashed Slater imagine what they will do to Barba or Bowen.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope he doesnt get picked unless it is for the blues

GTJOHN

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moving Inglis to FB and having barba on the bench would make more sense..
In a Must win game, Barba will be targeted and why would you want to destroy the kids confidence under
that pressure..Benny is awesome and would kill it, but needs to be eased into it rather than be faceing
a NSW onslaught early...
Id love to see Benny get his chance, but as long as he is used properlly and not left out there to get smashed and bombed all night

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Inglis has dominated at FB this year, shifting him and bringing in someone like Nielsen is the right move - I hope qld pick Bowen tbh lol

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Moving Inglis to FB and having barba on the bench would make more sense..
In a Must win game, Barba will be targeted and why would you want to destroy the kids confidence under
that pressure..Benny is awesome and would kill it, but needs to be eased into it rather than be faceing
a NSW onslaught early...
Id love to see Benny get his chance, but as long as he is used properlly and not left out there to get smashed and bombed all night
Its too risky to play Barba in a 3rd game decider. If Barba made an error which cost QLD the game and the series, Barba could go back into his shell much like Brett Kimmorley did.

The Dogs dont need this!

But if Barba was picked for the first game next year then Im all for it.

GTJOHN

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its too risky to play Barba in a 3rd game decider. If Barba made an error which cost QLD the game and the series, Barba could go back into his shell much like Brett Kimmorley did.

The Dogs dont need this!

But if Barba was picked for the first game next year then Im all for it.
thats my point, in a decider to risky and wont do the kid any good .
Id love to see him kill it in origin one day, but not thrown in at a decider..
Also im selfish & would rather see Benny play for and stay fit

The.X.Factor

Forum Maniac
Reaction score
lol Queensland logic:
---> Have fullback as 19th man
---> Don't choose him when the starting fullback gets injured.

Not complaining though, would rather not be Barba-less for any games.

pupii

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
lol Queensland logic:
---> Have fullback as 19th man
---> Don't choose him when the starting fullback gets injured.

Not complaining though, would rather not be Barba-less for any games.
You mean like Aaron Woods was 18th man in origin 1 for NSW but they chose Tim Grant for Origin 2?

Dex

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont be surprised if Slater plays...

Status
Not open for further replies.