Possibly the worst refereeing display ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browny

Waterboy
Reaction score
Not only did I find myself stuck in the position of barracking for the Roosters (for the only reason of our place on the ladder)
but to then witness one of, if not the worst, displays of refereeing in a long long time.
The decision to let either Beale or Maranta can't remember who to keep running was just ludicrous.
There was a few questions that were raised from this performance such as the effectiveness of 2 refs with each making a different call, and the chance for the video ref to reverse a given try before the kick is taken if it was obviously not (Arona drop ball)?? or was it just a one off shocker by the men in pink.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm getting real sick of this "make a mistake, get a slap on the hand and demoted for a week" system though.

Just like any real world job. Make a major blunder = official warning. Make 2 more and your contract is terminated.

It's about time refs had some responsibility for their mistakes. Imagine how some of these betting companies must feel with such dodgy calls going on.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
They ****ed up so much in that game

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
seems pretty standard these days for refs to make major **** ups

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't expect too much from a bunch of mentally challenged blind imbeciles. Miracle they've made it this far into the season without being shot outside the stadium by fed up fans.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm getting real sick of this "make a mistake, get a slap on the hand and demoted for a week" system though.

Just like any real world job. Make a major blunder = official warning. Make 2 more and your contract is terminated.

It's about time refs had some responsibility for their mistakes. Imagine how some of these betting companies must feel with such dodgy calls going on.
Unlike most real proper jobs, ie Accountants, Lawyers and etc there isn't a big supply of Refs running around.

Think realistically, the harsher penalties you give the less likely there will be any future refs around in the game at all. Noone likes any ref in any game, and i doubt their salary is much either, we're just going to have to put up with it because there isn't any other alternative.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Here's the only logical solution I can find ...

Instead of allowing the video ref to look back at just the 'last play', VR should be able to go back through the entire set-of-6. If a try is scored, ref blows whistle, signals the square and says "It's tackle 5 ... go back to tackle 2 and confirm if a knock on occurred, then check the grounding !"

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon they should face some sort of Referee's judicary or something, and Bill Harrigan should not be allowed to be present, as he'd definetly influence the decision.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Instead of allowing the video ref to look back at just the 'last play', VR should be able to go back through the entire set-of-6. If a try is scored, ref blows whistle, signals the square and says "It's tackle 5 ... go back to tackle 2 and confirm if a knock on occurred, then check the grounding !"
I remember in 2004, the Panthers played the Roosters early in the season and the video referee disallowed a try for a knock on at the play-the-ball on the previous play, so something like that has happened before, even though they aren't supposed to rule on it (I think).

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Unlike most real proper jobs, ie Accountants, Lawyers and etc there isn't a big supply of Refs running around.

Think realistically, the harsher penalties you give the less likely there will be any future refs around in the game at all. Noone likes any ref in any game, and i doubt their salary is much either, we're just going to have to put up with it because there isn't any other alternative.
Harrigan is on $250k a year apparently. Based on that you'd assume the higher end refs are maybe on $125k a season, and other refs probably $80k or something.

One thing I've always wondered. The TV telecast sees the majority of infringements and penalties awarded. Is there anything telecast that onfield refs would see better than a man in the box?

What I'm getting to, why not have 2 video refs (one who watches each side), and one ref on field who simply relays calls from the video ref on to the field.

That would mean the only experience that refs would need is to sit in the box. Linesmen still have a purpose onfield, and the onfield ref wouldn't require any real qualifications.

Might be a dumb idea, but it might just work too!

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dumb decisions aren't restricted to the clowns on the field ....
Was an absolute howler against Manu tonight...even
Brandy looking through Penriff goggles thought it was a try =(

P

Paint.

Dumb decisions aren't restricted to the clowns on the field ....
Was an absolute howler against Manu tonight...even
Brandy looking through Penriff goggles thought it was a try =(
Shouldn't be a try, but under the rules... there is contact with the ball so it is a try.
Stupid refs.

Browny

Waterboy
Reaction score
I remember one of the commentators (Vossy I think) saying the video ref doesn't even have a high definition screen for the replays, so there's a start.

I think a referral system like the cricket and NFL have is a must. 2 referrals per team per half, if you are correct you keep it, if its rejected you lose it.

And when the technology is there why not use it, Hot-spot for high kicks to see if they got a finger to it, hawk-eye to show the line of the ball for forward passes/knock ons, a birds eye shot with a line to show on-side.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score

lets be honest the video refs are duds as well

the whole thing needs an overhaul - im not sure if you watch nba or nfl but they hardly get it wrong and the players arent allowed to back chat the refs either

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
I remember one of the commentators (Vossy I think) saying the video ref doesn't even have a high definition screen for the replays, so there's a start.

I think a referral system like the cricket and NFL have is a must. 2 referrals per team per half, if you are correct you keep it, if its rejected you lose it.

And when the technology is there why not use it, Hot-spot for high kicks to see if they got a finger to it, hawk-eye to show the line of the ball for forward passes/knock ons, a birds eye shot with a line to show on-side.
how will they get hawk eye in at **** grounds like leichhardt

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Distinctly recall that being Daley and Alexander ... was a Jonathan Wright try, but cant recall against who.

Couple of butthurt morons talking out their wallets they are.

Browny

Waterboy
Reaction score
how will they get hawk eye in at **** grounds like leichhardt
Yeah probably be tough although it is just a connection of 6 cameras that track the ball and produce a 3d image, im sure they can sort it out, maybe a gps tracking device within the ball, but then that raises its own issues, my point was more that other sports have been able to use technology to their advantage, its about time we developed our own.

Yeah that sounds right now ya say it CK, is there a bigger knob then Daley? maybe Jack Reed lol

Almobro

Gunner
Reaction score
Lmfao.

Roosters prop Frank-Paul Nuuausala could find himself in hot water for an angry tweet about the officials after the game.

Nuuausala said on Twitter: "What with the ref ? Should go upper cut yourself

#idiot I'm a sore loser big time Sowi about the loss thanks for coming out."

Status
Not open for further replies.