Define "80min effort" ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Lots of discussion on here in a seperate thread regarding what constitutes an 80min effort.

Some think it's the flawless execution of a performance across 80mins, while others think it's a matter of navigating the to-and-fro of a football match without clocking off in effort at any stage.

It begs the question : Can you have bad periods of football during a match, and still call it an 80min effort ?

Over to you ... What is an "80min effort" to you ???

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The latter of your options. Doesn't necessarily mean they excel, but just that they put in a solid performance for the full 80 minutes.

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kick off, tackle, play the ball, run, there's 40 mins, and vice versa 80 minute effort lol.. Nuh seriously IMO an 80 minute effort would be simular to our performance against the Eels, for majority of the game we put in a huge full game effort, cept for the 15 mins from the 20th min. Well that's what I define an 80min effort, dominating the entire game. Or back a few years ago when Bronco's smashed the Knights 74-4, that's an 80min effort.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I think 80 minute effort means playing consistently over the course of a game....a game where a team plays great for 70 mins then lets in three soft tries is not an 80 minute effort.

It is impossible to do everything perfectly for a full game but I think if a team's performance features a period of...let's say 10 minutes of soft defence, poor discipline, poor handling etc it can't be considered an 80 minute effort. If a team clocks off and concedes quick points after putting on a score and sealing the win it isn't an 80 minute effort.

I guess at the end of the day a team needs a consistant quality to their play over the course of an entire game to be considered to have put in an 80 minute effort....doesn't mean they have to be perfect or there won't be a period where things go against them a little...

Mostly 80 minute effort is just a dumn cliche we all use without fully understanding its meaning :P

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Disclaimer : The following is not an intended Rodzilla impersonation ...

Situation A = We could win 19-18 and not take the lead until the 79th min ... how do you call that an 80min effort when we clearly lapsed at stages to allow the opposition the lead ???

Situation B = Or we could lead 30-0, and finish up 36-6 ... if not for one lapse, is that still an 80min effort ?

I think lots of folks confuse the term "80min effort" with "80min struggle" ...
Can someone wake up btrainben ???

Berries

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Most 80 minute efforts are helped by how bad some opposition are aka our 60 points over Rooters few years back.

G

Gladiator.

You don't have to be in the lead or hammering a team as long as the team is putting their best effort for the WHOLE game. There will always be a team better than us/ will beat us. Solid effort does not equal winning.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
putting in effort for 80 mins

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
80 mins effort = winning attitude and positive play over the 80 mins of the game. This does not necessarily mean that the execution is perfect and it does not mean you would necessarily come away with the victory.

There is nothing worse than seeing your team give up, or lapse in concentration. I accept that teams get beaten, but what is most important is also how they get beaten.

Status
Not open for further replies.