Winger heads to the mines, leaving Hasler in a hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paint.

Mock the Dogs and Lett all you want, but it's clear what the problem is...

The reserve grade is a joke. Michael Lett is probably the most talented player in NSW Cup, yet if you ask around most other clubs supporters, no one's ever heard his name. No one's seen him play, no one knows his try scoring record.
We need to scrap the NSW Cup and QLD Cup and start a new, 16-team, nation wide reserve grade, where each team has their feeder club playing right before their FG game.

There are guys like James Gavet, Tim Brown, Dale Finucane, Jsoh Jackson, Martin Taupau, Michael Lett, Tim Lafai, Joel Romelo, etc, rotting away in our reserve grade team and they'll never get a shot elsewhere because no one watches reserve grade footy.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Hmmm , would have liked to know what he was on , I think he wouldnt be on under 100k , and if you cant support a family earning 100k its time to cut up the wifes credit cards . But the dogs must have agreed to cut his contract

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score

The reserve grade is a joke. Michael Lett is probably the most talented player in NSW Cup, yet if you ask around most other clubs supporters, no one's ever heard his name. No one's seen him play, no one knows his try scoring record.
We need to scrap the NSW Cup and QLD Cup and start a new, 16-team, nation wide reserve grade, where each team has their feeder club playing right before their FG game.

There are guys like James Gavet, Tim Brown, Dale Finucane, Jsoh Jackson, Martin Taupau, Michael Lett, Tim Lafai, Joel Romelo, etc, rotting away in our reserve grade team and they'll never get a shot elsewhere because no one watches reserve grade footy.
Fine post. Supporters have been literally ****ing begging for A true reserve grade to be back.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Exactly right well said champ too much talent is lost due to this look at Andrew Everingham 25 Michael Gordon 22 (Debut) not all players blossom at 18 it's a shame hate to see a player like Lett have to go great player who just had a knack for scoring tries

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He will score 100 tries in the local comp haha
That's what I was thinking. What price must he be to top the scoring charts for whichever Illawarra district club he ends up at?

Dog Daze

Waterboy
Reaction score
Qld cup is going great guns and is much closer to NRL standard to the NSW Cup.

That situation has only reversed in the past 3 years or so. Forget about the under 20's for a minute, the big difference is Qld Cup teams not being allowed to be alinged as feeder clubs for non-Queensland based NRL clubs eg. Souths Logan for Canberra Raiders.

Just goes to show that NSW teams can't do any good unless they are propped up by Queensland.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cop you later lett !! He would've been on at least 100k the minimum for a NRL contracted player, I believe. He likely won't get more in the mines. If he wants to go he obviously has no passion. Andrew everingham has been playing grade for 7 years and only this year has cracked the NRL. That's how you chase something you're passionate about. It sounds to me like he's trying to hurt hasler and the club by hanging around till he's needed then quitting. As I said, cop you later !!

captain dropbut

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
if he was on second tier wage he wouldnt get much at all, at least compared to other players

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not to mention not every single player is a superstar, but every football player does have a time limit on his career.

By 25, most players have at best 5-7 years left in them, and for most, their wage doesn't exactly exceed the normal average wage of a miner by a huge amount. Stability and financial security is obviously going to be more important especially for someone with a family. All the best to Lett, it must've been a pain to be behind a spastic in Goodwin and a very average footballer in Wright.

Ironhide07

In The Dog House
Reaction score
lol Lett. You tool. You finally get a shot at FG, and you quit. Whether or not he could support his family from NRL $$ depended on his own form when given the chance. He obviously has no faith in his own ability. we dont need players like that. If you think you cant win, you will lose.
100%

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Fair call by Lett and I wish him all the best.

Goes to show that not all players are on big money to support a family, and other job options are better at providing them income.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sad part is... I was watching some NSW cup the other day,
Wenty v Ryde/Balmain... Benny Roberts, Shack, Lesalo and
a few other guys that have played in first grade were playing,
the standard was poor, but these guys looked right at home =(

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
It is the real life Kenny Powers..... he gets his shot then quits. Maybe not to the extent of walking off the mound and faking his death like Kenny did. I heard it was Singelton Rugby he was headed for. Much the same anyway.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's his life and his family. All the best to him.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You cannot blame him for thinking about his family.

He's been getting the odd start here and there but unable to cement a permanent spot. Even if he played on Monday, he would play a game here and there then back to reserve grade - hardly sustainable.

Mining jobs are around 150K + depending on the roles, so the intention to build a long term career is very reasonable.

Goodluck to him and IMO should have got starts ahead of the dud Goodwin, Wright and MacDougall.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
lol Lett. You tool. You finally get a shot at FG, and you quit. Whether or not he could support his family from NRL $$ depended on his own form when given the chance. He obviously has no faith in his own ability. we dont need players like that. If you think you cant win, you will lose.
Bit harsh, there's more to life then footy.

And as he stated in the article he had been playing reserve grade his whole career, he's realised that he will not cement a first grade spot. Hardly a quitting attitude, he is just being real.

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bit of education for some of you.

Lett was on a 2nd tier contract. 1st tier minimum wage is 55k. 2nd tier may not even have a minimum. Could be totally game based incentives or something. As a bloke with 4 kids and a misso to take care of there comes a time to bite the bullet. Those that mention Everingham should think a bit more. Everingham could very well live witg his olds or something.. Every situation is different.

So once again. All the best Michael. You achieved more than any of us on the field so kudos.

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Josh Massoud
The Sunday Telegraph
May 27, 2012 12:00AM

CANTERBURY'S backline crisis has deepened after tryscoring ace Michael Lett suddenly quit the club with an NRL start in his keeping.

In a move that stunned teammates, Lett turned down first-grade selection for last Monday night's clash with Cronulla to pursue a new career in the coal mines.

His sudden departure left the Bulldogs short out wide after the loss of wingers Steve Turner (knee), Bryson Goodwin (spleen), Mitch Brown (knee) and Luke McDougall (elbow).

Coach Des Hasler had no option but to escalate his bid for Warriors three-quarter Krisnan Inu, who arrived at Belmore on Wednesday and will slot straight into the backline for tomorrow night's game against the Roosters.

Lett was Hasler's first choice to fill the breach. But when informed of his promotion from NSW Cup last week, the 25-year-old told Hasler he wanted to retire.

Given Lett had posted 65 tries in his past 49 lower-grade outings, including 14 this season, the decision came as a bombshell.

When contacted this week, the former Dragons and Roosters flyer denied he exchanged words with Hasler.

"I've got a family of four to feed and I needed to find a definite career path to support them," Lett said.

"There's a lot of stories going around, but I told Des the truth. It was a decision based on my family."

Having made just 14 NRL appearances since his debut for the Roosters in 2005, Lett said he could not survive on second-tier money any longer.

He's now started work in a coal mine near Wollongong and intends to play in the local Illawarra league.

"I've played reserve grade most of my life, so this year was not much different," he said. "I can't play reserve grade for the rest of my life. I had to sort something out."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...hasler-in-a-hole/story-e6frexnr-1226367805296
This article states Lett would have been given the first shot for the vacant wing space ahead of McDougall, but turned it down. Hasler's first choice, many people on here baggged Lett and praised Hasler for the choice of McDougall. Comments like Hasler can't cop Lett, he's a fullback not a winger, Des has no faith in Lett, all BS.

Good Luck to him, i hope he strikes gold in the mines haha

Status
Not open for further replies.