The government should pay people to give blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogslyfe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I reckon the blood levels at 'critical' and stuff is a bit misleading I mean who has ever heard of anyone not getting treatmenet cos there is no blood?? It would be money well spent to get levels above 'safe' (whatever the criteria for 'safe' is!!)

If it was that bad the Gov would pay people 25 bucks a pop for a quart of blood but they dont but its probably too good of an idea and the Labor party stooges don't like it because it doesnt involve rorts for union mates.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
lol it would be all homeless people

which is fine, their blood is as good as any one else (unless they are on drugs but this is tested)

then they can afford the occasional splurge on food and shelter

yep I like this idea

if I needed blood and it was homeless blood or die I would happily take the homeless blood

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
I got a tim tam years ago ...

dogslyfe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The only reason I can think of is that blood is not in short supply as the red cross and other agencies make out, and that the image of it always being 'short' coaxes people to give hence the Gov not actively paying people for it.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have no idea.

The ethical idea is for VOLUNTEERS to give blood. Humanity. Plus the cost would be astronomical, it already costs a fortune to run the organization.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They won't take mine here, even if I wanted to give it.

Apparently, I'm riddled with Mad Cow Disease based on nationality alone.

dogslyfe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You have no idea.

The ethical idea is for VOLUNTEERS to give blood. Humanity. Plus the cost would be astronomical, it already costs a fortune to run the organization.
Why don't doctor's work for free then. You have no idea. Humanity. Plus the cost would be astronomical, it already costs a fortune to run the organization.

What is a few hundred million in a federal system where the ALP/Greens routinely squander billions? I guess blood that is paid for is not as good for transfusions than blood donated. Humanity.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don't doctor's work for free then. You have no idea. Humanity. Plus the cost would be astronomical, it already costs a fortune to run the organization.

What is a few hundred million in a federal system where the ALP/Greens routinely squander billions? I guess blood that is paid for is not as good for transfusions than blood donated. Humanity.
Because Doctors need to earn an income like the rest of us.....?

Why pay for something that has run by volunteers for many decades? Why should we waste millions to bribe people to donate, when we should just encourage others to do it for the good of the community?
Plus, if you add money into the equation, people would have a larger incentive to lie on their questionnaire. A dero junkie could lie about injecting himself daily, and could have contracted a disease recently. That's why there are deferrals for a few months after certain behaviors, due to a "window period" where we can't detect disease with tests.

Australia has the safest blood supply in the world. I think we are doing fine the way we are. We just need more people to join the cause.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol it would be all homeless people

which is fine, their blood is as good as any one else (unless they are on drugs but this is tested)

then they can afford the occasional splurge on food and shelter

yep I like this idea

if I needed blood and it was homeless blood or die I would happily take the homeless blood
Homeless people can not donate. They need a fixed address. All about traceability if anything was to happen. I.e - A recipient contracted something from the donation, and it had to be investigated. If a legal suit was to ensue, how could they determine if the donor told the truth?

dogslyfe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The states seems to get by OK with this system. And dont give me crap about 'oh americans have no community spirit!!1!!!!' nonsense. I wonder how low supplies would get before the gov would do something. Im surprised they dont want to tax donors.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a valid suggestion, in fact many have asked the same thing. Pros and cons to every arguement.

And I actually wasn't going to say anything about Americas community spirit. But America actually charges heavily for all healthcare departments.
Should we just go the full hog, and abolish Medicare , an make out whole system depend on money? Cause a socioeconomic rift as large as there's?
If you get paid to receive blood, trust me, they will charge you even more for receiving it.

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the end of the day, People shouldn't be paid to donate blood. That's why its donating it, your being a nice decent person, donating blood to help others. Becuase yeah no doubt, if ppl were paid, you'd have a massive influx of people donating their blood. I would donate my blood, but medically im not allowed to. but those who can, should. Oneday you may need blood.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
F*&k that. Governments should just go around at night stealing blood from the unsuspecting as they sleep.

G

Gladiator.

Can't give blood, I have had tattoo's and piercings in the last 12 months, and lets not forget my weekend benders. I can't do them in a sober state of mind FFS.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't give blood, I have had tattoo's and piercings in the last 12 months, and lets not forget my weekend benders. I can't do them in a sober state of mind FFS.
It's 6 months for tattoos bebe. And a range of 6 months or less for piercings.

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What annoys me the most, is whether it's yourself, your wife, husband, children, grandchildren, or family members, may at some point need blood, for whatever reason, or to save their life. And when there is a shortage of blood, people go off ranting saying we're selfish and un-Australian to not give blood. It's like, well whats your excuse? why dont you give blood, if you have no medical reason or other reason as to why, why not go do it yourself. It really annoys me people expect others to do it, but aren't prepared to give blood themselfs. when oneday you may need blood to save your life. Same can be said about organ donours when you die. Though i'd sound a hypocrite as personally i'm against it.

BootS

Danned
Reaction score
If you got paid to do it, it would not be called "giving" blood.

HTH

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"" no way "" bad idea.. You dont give money for blood !!! All the junkies will then be giving there polluted blood, thats why they dont pay!!

Chances of contracting hiv and aids will be extremely high...

Blood only lasts for 2weeks.. Hiv is only detected after 3 months of contamination .. Its called a window period...

There is still risks of catching aids during a blood transfusion..

Do your research...

Thats why the government doesnt pay for blood.. Do your research.

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If people are healthy to do so, then it would be great to do so, at least once or twice a year.. if not more.. people only realise the importance, when somehow it affects them by having a friend or family member in need of blood..

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the US they pay you for your blood donation, but If you ever need it later on down the track the charge you like a bull

Status
Not open for further replies.