Aussie players fear they won't be paid by English Super League club Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
AUSSIE footballers caught up in the demise of the Crusaders English Super League club fear they won't be paid money owed to them following the club's shock decision to withdraw from the competition.

And former NRL veteran Adam Peek last night issued a general warning to any Australian player considering a switch to the Super League.

Peek said he feared losing money that had been put away as part of a player pension plan from 2009 and 2010 - and he said he wasn't the only Australian in danger.

The 34-year-old father-of-three admitted he had broke down in tears "several times" because of financial stress.

He claims he'd put away more than $50,000 into a player superannuation fund that he described as a forced-savings plan that was supposed to be paid back to him in monthly instalments through until 2014.

But his fear now is that the decision not to be paid up front could backfire.

"At the moment we are not quite sure (what is happening)," he said.

Crusaders are due to play this weekend but Peek said he had been told his services were no longer required.

"Over the last couple of years I'd had a few personality clashes with the coach," he explained. "Basically they said I was relieved of my duties."

He said other high-profile casualties caught up in the drama at the Crusaders include Jarrod Sammut, Ryan O'Hara, Clinton Schifcofske, Lincoln Withers and Mark Bryant. Peek's message to Australians considering a switch overseas was be careful.

"You've just got to do your homework - I would only go to the top four or five teams," he said. "The best thing about playing over here is being close to Europe but off-field it has been very stressful. It has been a massive battle for the players involved to get paid the money we are owed.

"I kept saying to them what happens if the club pulls out and they said the owners have told us they are committed. They have put the ground as equity.

"Mate, I have been involved in rugby league long enough to realise we are being f ... ed over."

Crusaders had been expected to be awarded one of the 13 remaining licences to compete in Super League from 2012-14 but instead it was revealed the club had pulled out with owners reportedly fearing the sustainability of the club in the north of Wales.

Former Great Britain centre Keith Senior tweeted: "Crusaders have just f ... ed me over what a bastard joke, excuse my language I'm absolutely furious."

Former Penrith player Sammut added: "The owners didn't even have the backbone to come and speak to the players about why they withdrew their application."

The Daily Telegraph was last night unable to contact any officials from the club but reports coming out of Wales claimed owner Geoff Moss admitted withdrawing the Crusaders from the Super League because of financial woes.

Rugby Football League media officer John Ledger admitted Peek wasn't the only player fearing he would lose out but said that the RFL were working with Crusaders and Players' Union to ensure all payments are met before the end of the year.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...e-club-crusaders/story-e6frexnr-1226103008834

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Former Great Britain centre Keith Senior tweeted: "Crusaders have just f ... ed me over what a bastard joke, excuse my language I'm absolutely furious."
Anyone who f**ks Keith Senior over is not such a bad bloke in my book.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't Keith Senior 92 years old?

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nope but getting there...:p

Former Penrith player Sammut added: "The owners didn't even have the backbone to come and speak to the players about why they withdrew their application."
That's ****ed... to not be fully informed about the internal strife in the club and to be kept in the dark while the guys at the top continue to loose money it just ****...

Last edited by a moderator:

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasn't he also been automatic pick for every international since 1990s despite never looking even remotely good enough? The man has some hallowed status in the game in England - unable to be sanctioned whatever atrocities he commits on the field, unable to be dropped despite being slow and crap. The man is an unpleasant a**e and it's no coincidence that the national side has not come close to being competitve for over a decade since mediocre talents like Senior were deemed good enough.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hasn't he also been automatic pick for every international since 1990s despite never looking even remotely good enough? The man has some hallowed status in the game in England - unable to be sanctioned whatever atrocities he commits on the field, unable to be dropped despite being slow and crap. The man is an unpleasant a**e and it's no coincidence that the national side has not come close to being competitve for over a decade since mediocre talents like Senior were deemed good enough.
Lack of depth among the ranks I suppose but its not like the English aren't trying. They now have a professional league of which only 3 teams have a realistic chance of winning and are moving in the right direction by placing more restrictions on squad's composition by enforcing more home-grown talent be present in the squad and less international players being brought in.

Status
Not open for further replies.