Civoniceva refutes rumours of Gould rift

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
JUST a day after being allowed a release from the remainder of his contract to join Brisbane, Penrith skipper Petero Civoniceva has taken the extraordinary step of issuing a statement to the club's supporter group to douse claims of a rift with club boss Phil Gould.

With Civoniceva's decision to rejoin the Broncos coming soon after Gould said the Queensland and Australian veteran had a ''job for life'', the front-rower posted a statement on Penrith's official website yesterday to dismiss any suggestion that he had fallen out with Gould - or that he had misled the club's supporters by pledging his future there.

The 35-year-old maintained that family and salary cap pressures, which were conspiring to force a number of other players out of the club, were the major reasons for his early departure.

''The speculation that moving me on would release some money back into the cap concerned me,'' Civoniceva wrote. ''Not in a bad way, but I could definitely see that, by moving on, the club would be better placed to secure existing players and recruitment of new players.

''He [Gould] was adamant that my salary had been accounted for in the cap, and my playing career was secure and that I had a job for life post-footy. I was asked in the weeks after the meeting about my future … I stated that I would remain at the club.

''[But] I was in a dilemma … I knew that to stay would hold the club back a year, from retention and recruiting, and also my thoughts were about my family who were returning back to Queensland. After discussing the situation with my wife, I asked Phil for a meeting. I had decided that the best thing for my family and the club was to ask for a release.''

Suggestions that Civoniceva was unhappy with the club under Gould's leadership began to emerge after caretaker coach Steve Georgallis was overlooked for the head coaching position next year, in favour of the Warriors' Ivan Cleary, after just one game in charge of the team.

''There is no 'rift' between Phil Gould and I,'' Civoniceva wrote. ''Yes, we did have a discussion - no, they were not heated. It was just me, as the captain, conveying the thoughts of the players and the senior playing group - which is what I have always done.

''Phil has always listened to me. He made a decision and we have moved on - simple as that.''

The prop said his decision was ''purely based around my family and what is best for the football club … I apologise to those fans who have felt lied to or cheated,'' he said. ''That was never my intention.''

The Panthers offset some of the damage that could be done through the departure of Civoniceva by announcing that two forwards, Nathan Smith and Nigel Plum, had re-signed with the club for a further two years.

NSW and Australian back-rower Luke Lewis had already committed to the club for the next three seasons.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-gould-rift-20110727-1i0e9.html#ixzz1TLX41hGk

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why would there be a rift... who came to that conclusion??? Its obvious he just wants to move on because of personal reasons and that's it.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You can't match Jews Limited money....

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You can't match Jews Limited money....
You sure can't but again the Broncos has Cap space to burn considering the team. I don't even know if they are playing the full 4.2 Million for their players a season but it sure seems like they have the capacity to sign on more as their players continue to develop quickly.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Civoniceva was p!ssed off about the way Elliott & Georgallis were treated.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Every player in the top squad at the Broncos this season bar Lockyer is signed for next year as well. So Petero just took Locky's spot in the top 25.

It's a real possibility that our top 17 won't change at all for the next 2-3 years with the salary cap rising.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Civoniceva was p!ssed off about the way Elliott & Georgallis were treated.
I think Elliot was given way too much stick when it was clear his squad were fat, unmotivated and slow.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why would there be a rift... who came to that conclusion???
one name

phil rothfield

if phil isn't dribbling something about his beloved sharks, he's ripping into gus about anything he can, no matter how baseless it might be

when gus finally pulled the pin on coaching origin, his god almighty spray he gave the media was squarely at that gibberer, because phil-me-crevice has had it in for phil since adam was a boy

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
one name

phil rothfield

if phil isn't dribbling something about his beloved sharks, he's ripping into gus about anything he can, no matter how baseless it might be

when gus finally pulled the pin on coaching origin, his god almighty spray he gave the media was squarely at that gibberer, because phil-me-crevice has had it in for phil since adam was a boy
Sounds like another News Ltd Nut case on the loose. I don't hate all journalists but BASED on the ones who get the top jobs in the papers, I can honestly say there are very few whose work I would read.

Is there a reason why he hates Gould... Is it because he dyed his hair all these years or because he sucks at commentating or what it is the deal between Rothfield and Gus???

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i think it was the double chin

Status
Not open for further replies.