The great Gosford No-Show of 2011 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I live on the coast and so far as I know there is no co-ordinated effort to boycott. All I have seen so far has been an article in the telecrap by Nick Walshaw encouraging coasties to boycott it and let the NRL know we won't support games on the coasat anmy more till we get a team. The artyicle may have got a few people talking, but I doubt the article will have too much effect tbh. I don't think staying away would do a coast bid any good.....maybe if instead of not turning up at the game people picketed outsidfe the stadium instead of paying to go in and watch it might have some impact, but seriouysly, what is the fooking point? I personaly would like to see a coast team...but it5's not like i give that much of a sh*t....I personally think a coast team would be good for the game and well supported....but I rarely go to a game that doesn't involve the dogs...and that won't change if the coast gets its team......a lot of coast people are too attached to their clubs to support a central coast team in any more than a secondary way, so it surely won't keep fans of the two teams involved away...maybe a few more casual fabns...time will tell

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
ahhh I forgot to paragraph break again. Apologies. I write in a rush and get lazy

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
"Apparently" (*does the quote marks with fingers*) ... supporters of the Central Coast bid plan to "NOT GO" to the Manly VS Wests Tigers clash on Friday, as a protest to the NRL that their voices be heard and Bears get in once expansion gets the nod.

- Anyone heard the same / similar ?
- Will it work ?
- Pros / Cons ?
As someone who has lived on the Central Coast I am familiar with their mentality. The Northern Eagles played a few games out of Gosford and despite that, they wanted to only support THEIR team.

It's that mentality that has always made me resistant to support the Bears push.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If a person really supports a team over a long period of time they build a connection with that team or club that they will not sever just because another club starts or is re-established closer to their front door. For this reason, I have doubts a club on the coast would have enduring success.

People would get really excitred about all the extra footy for a while and then I could easily see crowds and interest dropping off.

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
some of you guys are unreal.
one idiot journo, walshaw from the tele, writes of a boycott
and you guys believe it. x-factor in particular needs to grow up.

as somebody who lives on the central coast i can assure you that
the game will be very well supported and i would be shocked if at least 15000 arent in attendance.

the central coast is rugby league heartland and a permanent team here would thrive.
membership would go through the roof and the team would play to a full house each home game
which is exactly what some of the established clubs are afraid of.

P

Paint.

tbh I think everyone is over reacting about the Bombers bid. No way in hell are they certainties. They're just the latest hot thing - they revealed their logo, their name, obviously they'll be getting a lot of media coverage - that does NOT mean they'll be admitted. It means absolutely nothing at all. In fact, CC are more likely than BB in terms of the bid. They have a name, stadium, members, jersey, logo, etc... it's just that everything was formed a while ago, so it's not hot on the press.

mark2000oz

Waterboy
Reaction score
They get a few games there a year compared to regional areas and they're still not greatful!

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
some of you guys are unreal.
one idiot journo, walshaw from the tele, writes of a boycott
and you guys believe it. x-factor in particular needs to grow up.
You saw the bit where I said "apparently" at the start right ???

You saw the bit where I asked "has anyone heard similar ?" right ???

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
They should be in ahead of the stupid Bombers after a Perth team is in place. Good on them if they do this but that would only anger the NRL more or Gallop would see it as them "not supporting Rugby League".
And for once he would be right....

i will never support the theory of holding things to ransom to try and get your way, thats not the way to attract people to your cause.

People like that deserve to goto the back of the line.

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Manly can F off and find another home ground bad enough they told the bears they dont want a joint venture anymore. now they want to play home games at blue tongue

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And for once he would be right....

i will never support the theory of holding things to ransom to try and get your way, thats not the way to attract people to your cause.

People like that deserve to goto the back of the line.
There not holding the NRL to ransom they are prostesting they dont want such a sh!t club playing a home game at the ground they want the bears playing there instead.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There not holding the NRl to ransom they are prostesting the dont want such a sh!t club playing a home game at the ground they want the bears there.
lol.. call it what you like mate, I say potato, you say potarto

they are trying to prove their point by affecting ticket sales, gate numbers etc.

This reminds of of little kids throwing themselves on the ground when they dont get their own way, same mentality.

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol.. call it what you like mate, I say potato, you say potarto

they are trying to prove their point by affecting ticket sales, gate numbers etc.

This reminds of of little kids throwing themselves on the ground when they dont get their own way, same mentality.
there is NOBODY up here talking such nonsense nexus only the tele which most of the clowns on here claim not to read, yet is where this thread has its origins or "sauce" as some like to call it.

i am involved with one of the junior clubs up here in a coaching capacity and we usually train on a friday night.
incidentally we have had to cancel training this friday night due to so many families attending the match at bluetongue.
junior players are also unable to use their free admission passes due to the demand for seats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are too many. Teams should have an even bigger carrot dangled in front of them to make them relocate. Cronulla specifically. Do yourselves and everyone else a favour and relocate to Perth while playing 3 games a year at Cronulla.
Exactly. The comp needs a balance between aggressive expansion into new states and more stable expansion of its current territories. To me, this means something like Perth (far wiser than, say, Adelaide as a first move) and also the Central Coast, plus somewhere like Ipswich. However, 3 new teams isn't going to wash. I'd love to see some of the new TV money used to lure a poorer Sydney team (read Cronulla) to Perth.

Not going to happen, mind.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Exactly right. Like I said, the NRL have been c**k teasing them for a decade. Actually, more. Norths were promised when the NRL was culling teams in the late 90's that they're propsed move to Gosford would help them meet the dreaded "criteria". Then they were forced to merge with despised rivals Manly. We know how that worked out. In the 10 years since Gallop and the NRL have said if you show support and give us a business plan we'll give you a team when we're up for expansion.

Well, they've done all of that. They have a tonne of members and a great business model and the NRL are going to f**k them off for a hastily put together Brisbane franchise. They have every right to feel this aggrieved.
Too right!!! I honestly have don't see how splitting Brisbane up again into 2 factions is really going to benefit the League as a whole. I've heard it will apparently boost TV deals by the NRL now effectively allowing Brisbane Broncos to be shown more often on Fox Sports as the other Brisbane team, whatever they are called in the end, will be shown on Free-To-Air. However, why would one simply jump a band-wagon still somewhat in its infancy when their a perfect candidate backed strongly and supported vigorously sitting in Central Coast???

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly right. Like I said, the NRL have been c**k teasing them for a decade. Actually, more. Norths were promised when the NRL was culling teams in the late 90's that they're propsed move to Gosford would help them meet the dreaded "criteria". Then they were forced to merge with despised rivals Manly. We know how that worked out. In the 10 years since Gallop and the NRL have said if you show support and give us a business plan we'll give you a team when we're up for expansion.

Well, they've done all of that. They have a tonne of members and a great business model and the NRL are going to f**k them off for a hastily put together Brisbane franchise. They have every right to feel this aggrieved.

Yes get up them Ben. The commission Is ready so will see what happens In the months to come

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the CC should have their own team. They have a great stadium, huge growing population, love their footy and have the backing of John Singleton. It's not just about right now either, it's about the future as the CC grows. The NRL needs to look ahead and make sure they stay as League fans.

As for Brisbane getting a second team I think that will fail again. The Broncos have Brisbane covered. I know there are people that hate the Broncos but most of them have another team they follow. If there were two Brisbane teams brought in back in 1988 it would be different, but I think it's too late to bring in another Brisbane team. I think the Sunshine coast would be a better option than a second Brisbane team, same reasons as the CC.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Rabbits set the precedent and the Bears should of rode the the same wave, the NRL did not have the right to exclude them and now it looks too late, I don't want more teams anyway, it will make the comp too big and messy, how cluttered is the table now?

Status
Not open for further replies.