Barba eyes new role with Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow what a great article, full of brand new information...

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
i thought he wanted to play prop :confused:

@nchorman

Channel 4 News!
Reaction score
BEN Barba sees the vacant position left by Luke Patten as just the opportunity he needs to cement a regular first grade spot in the Canterbury side.

Ben Barba says he hopes he can fill the vacant position left by Luke Patten at the Bulldogs

Getty Images
PrevNext“Trying to get the number one jersey is my goal,” Barba told sportsnewsfirst.com.au.

“I played a fair bit (of fullback) when I was younger and really enjoyed it.”

However for Barba to secure the fullback role, he will have to fight off a man with over 100 games experience - winger Steve Turner.

The 29-year-old joined the Bulldogs last year after a successful stint with Melbourne and will battle it out for the custodian role.

“If (Turner) gets the first shot it doesn’t matter,” said Barba.

“He’s a good player, he’s played for NSW, I want to learn as much off him as possible.”

His side has been back in pre-season training for over a month now, during which time Barba has been getting himself acquainted with the new role.

Training for fullback has been tough but with the ability to pick and choose when to chime in, it has its advantages.

“I get to back up all over the field without ever being out of position,” he said.

“(It's) always going to be tough changing roles.

“I’m continually working on my game.

“There’s definitely more running involved... The training staff has been focusing a lot more on my long distance fitness."

The soon to be father of two sees himself as a long term option in the number one and says the prospect of running off the clubs new signings is very appealing.

“It’s exciting with Frank Pritchard and Greg Eastwood in the side breaking the line and being able to run off those guys,” he said.

“Not having to ball play gives me a chance to back up our play makers.

“I’m looking forward to playing with Ben Roberts and Kris Keating, they are young like myself and can see us getting a good combination over the next few years.

After a disappointing season placing 13th with the retirement of Brett Kimmorley and loss of Ben Hannant, Blake Green, Yilleen Gordon and Jarrad Hickey, the Darwin born utility believes youth will turn the clubs fortunes around.

“We’ve had some older blokes leave and younger blokes come in, it’s exciting,” he said.

“Next year is going to be a good year.”

Timmah.

CANTERBURY!!!!!
Reaction score
Sports News First? LOL

This news is older than Ben Barba himself lololol

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Turner went to fullback, who would wear the number 2?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would prefer Barba at fullback as it would keep him more involved in attack, he,s going to be our Preston Campbell.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Barba will be top try scorer for 2011

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Turner does get the fullback position, which i highly doubt.. i think he is better on wing but if he does get it where would you put barba? we would already have a utility (keating/roberts) on the bench??

Status
Not open for further replies.