Bulldogs in the Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/bulldogs-in-the-wars/story-e6frexnr-1225861000541

RESPECTED physio Tony Ayoub said the horror injury toll at the Bulldogs was the worst he has come across in his 22 years in rugby league.

The club's woes continued on Friday night with big bopper Jarrad Hickey dislocating his wrist, which will keep him out of action for more than a month.

The Dogs have more than 570 games worth of NRL experience sitting in the casualty ward.

"I keep saying to the fellas that it can't get any worse, then another player will get injured on the weekend," Ayoub said. "This is easily the worst period in terms of injuries I have ever experienced in rugby league.

"I can't recall it being busier."

In the latest developments with the Canterbury injury crisis:

* Blake Green was yesterday still feeling the effects of severe concussion and a neck injury after a high shot from Eels enforcer Fuifui Moimoi;

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

* Luke Patten will not train all week because of a shoulder cork, which forced him to play with a "dead arm" for most of the match;

* Josh Morris will again meet with a surgeon this week and is experiencing blurred vision after he fractured his eye socket against the Wests Tigers;

* Ben Roberts has had pins inserted into his ankle and will not return until deep into the season;

* Dene Halatau (knee) has just started running, while Ben Hannant (knee) remains on crutches.

In brighter news for the Dogs, Brett Kimmorley and manager George Mimis are expected to meet with officials at the end of this week to decide if the experienced half will push ahead for another season.

Eels half Kris Keating had been linked to Canterbury, but it is understood the Dogs only held talks with the youngster and didn't table an offer.

Meanwhile, Feleti Mateo told The Sunday Telegraph he is prepared to settle for less money to remain at Parramatta and hopes to have his future sorted in the next fortnight.

The Warriors have thrown big money at the exciting backrower, believed to be around $400,000 a season, but Mateo would love to stick with the Eels.

"I'm willing to sacrifice some dollars to stay here," Mateo said.

"I love the club and people and think we're going down the right path. I took less money the last time I signed a contract and I'm happy to do it again. Others clubs were tossing more money at me, but I stayed here."

If this is true and Roberts isn't back until deep into the season say goodbye to top 8 with the way BK is playing...

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are lucky we a have a bit of depth, its not over until its over and I hope they adopt a Bulldogs never quit mentality.
Our Rookies are showing maturity beyond their age and are doing a pretty good job, we came close to beating Parra and with some fine tuning will be winners.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Despite the injuries, we are still fielding a very strong team week in week out. Injuries, alone are not losing us games. I'ts the style of footy we play.

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
im pretty sure 08 was much worse.
Agreed completely, even 05!

Plus i dont see Jarrad Hickey being injured as such a big deal..

Their was also speculation Morris, Hannant and Halatau would be back for the Dragons game.

Green and Patten hve an extra week to recover with the bye

Also how is it bright news for Kimmorley to meet with the club? He is playing very flat boring football which is costing us so many scoring opportunities. his mediocrity should not be rewarded. Unless he starts to show some of the form he had at the start of last year then he should forget about it!

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Not having Roberts back till deep in the season is a killer blow.
We are in a bad position. 16 games to go and we will need to win 10 of them. On current form and with the injuries, its looking pretty tough.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't hold out much hope of us finishing in the top eight. We should improve toward the end of the season, though, and become a real problem to of some of the highly rated sides as we see our full strength team return.

zeedog

Bulldog Fanatic
Reaction score
08 ad 05 the worst for injuries...not this year to be honest

@nchorman

Channel 4 News!
Reaction score
Not having Roberts back till deep in the season is a killer blow.
We are in a bad position. 16 games to go and we will need to win 10 of them. On current form and with the injuries, its looking pretty tough.
finally someone who actually wants benny roberts playing, im sick and tired of hearing people bagging the bloke out, hes a good ball runner and a solid defender. Barba has the spark which will grow in over time, roberts right now is what the doggies need.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
finally someone who actually wants benny roberts playing, im sick and tired of hearing people bagging the bloke out, hes a good ball runner and a solid defender. Barba has the spark which will grow in over time, roberts right now is what the doggies need.
x2
Going to be very hard to make the 8 this season worst start from the doggies in recent years that I can remember

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
"I keep saying to the fellas that it can't get any worse, then another player will get injured on the weekend," Ayoub said

Well, stop telling them it can't any worse and we won't have to deal with new injuries. :D

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i'm guessing tony ayoub wasn't at the club in 05 or 08, because he's not saying it's the worst he's seen at the club, he's saying it's the worst he's been involved with at any club he's been at

i can't remember when he was with us last, before he moved elswhere and then returned to us from the roosters for the beginning of last season

it's not rocket science that the clubs at the top are having fewer injuries to their playing roster compared to some towards the bottom half, not including the completely crap ones outside of the 8. it's a significant factor, no matter how you slice it.

you can only get some consistency in your game if you can keep running the same team out each week (or with very minimal changes over a long period of time) compared to swapping players in and out every single week, it's very hard to get cohesion happening in attack or defence and players consistently coming back from injury also need time to get some match fitness back as they are a bit undone with so much time out.

while we do have issues with the gameplan, whether that's coaching or the makeshift squad each week isn't implementing it, we're still at the mercy of our injury toll. hopefully we can get some luck and have our players back on the field and off the sideline so we can really start competing and give this season a real shake

well done

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
think all this talk of how bad it is this season is just a smoke screen for how crap we are playing, check out the raiders, broncos etc.
They have even more injuries, Raiders missing 10 first graders this week and could still win in NZ

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
think all this talk of how bad it is this season is just a smoke screen for how crap we are playing, check out the raiders, broncos etc.
They have even more injuries, Raiders missing 10 first graders this week and could still win in NZ
Lol that is true, the media need something to excuse our poor form on, especially when you have the second highest increase in membership and fans are wondering what the **** has happened to us.

In reality though, things will get a lot worse before they get better. We have the dragons, panthers(origin players out), storm which will all be very difficult to win.
Though after that it is fairly up hill against the tigers (which should see pretty much our whole squad in action) which will be very winnable; followed by a bye and then the titans (which with a game and 2 weeks of training under our belt thanks to the bye and with a full squad, should see us get on top on them and make our first real impression as contenders for the season).

After that it's raiders, sharks, storm, roosters, eels, rabbits, knights, raiders, cowboys. And i can see us easily winning 7 or 8 out of 9 of those games.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
im pretty sure 08 was much worse.
Well ye sure, but the calibur of players that year...It was just embarrassing...

Apart from SBW, Tonga and Patten being injured the rest of the squad that year was embarrassing

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
meh 05 and 08 were much worse

Status
Not open for further replies.