Knights Chasing SBW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Interesting. Sonny Bill Williams being chased by Newcastle. Bulldogs asking for big money for a release of some kind. (Source: News on Sunrise 05/03/10).
One question I have: Will the NRL register any contract between a Club and Sonny Bill Williams?? (Considering his last dealings with the NRL).
Another silly Question: What would be the Dollar Figure to compensate the Mighty Bulldogs considering that they have already received $75,000 of Choco's dollars as a form of compensation. I would say that that figure would only scratch the surface of revenue the Bulldogs would have made in promoting a team with $SBW in it. In my opinion, the Bulldogs deserve more, much more than $75,000 if he wants to return to the NRL.
The Warriors were also reported as having interest in $BW. Your thoughts Boys and Girls.
we got $750k from mundane to release Scum Bag from the club... we should have got more from them

Im not sure if any club are willing to pay compensation fee to us for Scum Bag

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Make 2 conditions:
1. Knights get Mateo to sign with us.
2. He changes his name to Sonny Pill Williams to better fit in at the Knights.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Make the **** sit out the time tbh

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Give us Gidley and you can have $BW. ;)
I'd rather have Holdsworth back than that overated f*ck at Belmore.

Maybe not, but you get the drift how much I can't stand him lol

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
part of me wants to see it happens just because the hype of his first game against us would be twice that of the mason saga

but then i think, **** that, he'll probably carve us up, stay in yawnion ya ****, lol

infamous-l

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
they can chase him all they want,he'll be hard to catch at first but after a while,he'll do his hammy,or his ankle,or something will f@#k out on him and theyll catch him for sure!!!!!

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Knights unlikely to snare star recruit

By David Beniuk AAP Fri, 05 Mar 2010 17:37:30

NRL crisis club Newcastle will need to content themselves with an "above average tradesman" to replace departed Chris Houston and Danny Wicks, with the salary cap preventing them from chasing the game's superstars.

The Knights have been linked to big names Sonny Bill Williams and club legend Danny Buderus after losing forwards Houston and Wicks, who both terminated their contracts after being charged with alleged drug offences.

The chances of landing Williams were always at long odds with the former Bulldog earning big money in French rugby union and the subject of an offer from New Zealand rugby heading into the 2011 World Cup.

Knights strategic development manager Keith Onslow said the only link to Williams was an enquiry into his status 12 months ago.

"It hasn't even been discussed," he told AAP on Friday.

Williams is also ineligible to play for any club in the NRL but Canterbury until 2013 and CEO Todd Greenberg said that would only be relaxed if the Bulldogs received a hefty compensation payout.

"If he is entertaining an idea of playing for a club or a club is entertaining the idea of contracting him, then I'm happy to have a discussion with that particular club but it will be a discussion on commercial terms," Greenberg told AAP.

Greenberg said he had no specific figure in mind.

"I have absolutely no figure and part of me says it's a moot discussion because I think he'll end up playing rugby in New Zealand and, if he does, good luck to him," he said.

Onslow said Buderus was keen to see out his contract with English Super League club Leeds.

"It would enormous if he were able to take up some sort of administrative position but my understanding from him is he's quite keen to keep playing," he said.

"Whilst he can keep playing and he's got a contract in England then good luck to him."

Reports have suggested Newcastle have between $200,000-$400,000 under the salary cap, another factor making the recruitment of an elite player unlikely.

"Not what you would call a marquee player, no," Onslow said in relation to the Knights' cap pressure.

"There's probably an opportunity for certainly an above average tradesman.

"We've made all the phone calls. We've spoken to CEOs, NRL coaches, recruitment managers, obviously all the player managers, everyone knows our situation.

"There isn't too much more we can do at this stage, we've thrown out all the baits."

Meanwhile, the Knights' round one opponents Canterbury expect the beleaguered club to come out fighting at ANZ Stadium on March 13.

Asked if adversity galvanised a team, Bulldogs halfback Brett Kimmorley said: "I think it does in every footy club.

"I think when there's adversity at your club the best thing for that is going out and playing good football and once the football starts there's things to report on so it's generally the less focus is on off-field issues.

"We're more worried about ourselves, that's what we take into most games, it doesn't who we play or what environment is created."
http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...s-unlikely-to-snare-star-recruit/default.aspx

They won't be able to pay the dogs out and they won't be able to afford whatever SBW would ask for.

Knights are struggling with their finances and their sponsors will be wary of developments coming up.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I have a feeling they will come out guns blazing in Roud 1.. Just a feeling..

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
No Gidley.
No Houston.
Rookie coach.
Green halfback.
Injury-recovery hooker.

Bulldogs by at least 20.
they were low on there stars when we played them last year and they won.

Also moore was a rookie coach and he killed it last year.

Knights will be a close game

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Gidley.
No Houston.
Rookie coach.
Green halfback.
Injury-recovery hooker.

Bulldogs by at least 20.
like coastak10 said, they were missing some big names when they beat us mid season last year

i'd never take a team with its back against the wall easy, bulldogs fans should know this as we ourselves have done it a fair few times when times have been tough

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
like coastak10 said, they were missing some big names when they beat us mid season last year

i'd never take a team with its back against the wall easy, bulldogs fans should know this as we ourselves have done it a fair few times when times have been tough
This is very true. However, they are not playing at home this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.