Do you want a new Australian Flag?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre V

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Should it be changed?

It seemed to be a massive debate a couple of years ago in the media for a little period with some strong opinions...

Now this morning I read that Ray Martin is bringing up the topic again, wanting it changed to ditch the union jack etc...

What is your opinion? Should we keep it how it is or change it? Should it incorporate some recognition of aboriginal culture etc?

Personally I love our flag how it is and wouldn't want it changed at all, I love it how it is, so for me its a case of "f*** off Ray".

Thoughts?

Article:

Ray Martin's bid to change Aussie flag

AUSTRALIA should get a new flag that ditches the Union Jack, according to TV presenter Ray Martin.

Martin said yesterday he would lead a campaign to replace the existing "colonial" flag.

"I object to having the British flag in the corner of our flag," he said.

"We have well and truly reached the point where we should have our own flag. I think we have to grow up and move on to the next stage,"

Martin's bold campaign comes as Labour Party sources confirmed the Rudd Government, if re-elected later this year, will hold a referendum on a republic.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Not as long as we're a republic. If we become a republic, change it; Remove the union jack, change the back colour to green and the southern cross stars should be gold - that's it, our national flag, our national colours.

Sabre V

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ive never understood how our national colours are green & gold lol.

Sabre V

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The landscape mate - the sand and the bush :grinning:
True, but we seem to have like a billion colours, our olympic colours are deep blue, our cricketers were always canary yellow and now are dark green lol, ffs we need to make up our mind.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
no offence but a green and gold flag would look pretty horrible

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
*coat

BTW, If we become a republic, then change it. Otherwise, who really gives a ****? Does not affect my life.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't want it to change. I grew up loving the one we have.
If we do become a republic, id be devestated if the changed it, its our history and that can't be altered or removed.

I also dont like how green and yellow are our "national colours"

The landscape mate - the sand and the bush :grinning:
I was under the impression our green and gold identity originated from the colour of the native wattle bush..

Reaction score
lol kurry reg was prob just pulling that answer out of his arse.

and i agree with everyone, there really is no need to change it atm. If we ever become a republic, then i probably would agree to changing it :grinning:

Sabre V

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't want it to change. I grew up loving the one we have.
If we do become a republic, id be devestated if the changed it, its our history and that can't be altered or removed.

I also dont like how green and yellow are our "national colours"

I was under the impression our green and gold identity originated from the colour of the native wattle bush..
I agree, the problem is though if we become a republic we would basically be forced to change it, it would be a bit ridiculous to have the union jack on our flag if we weren't a member of the commonwealth...

Great Britain would probably force us to remove it (somehow?) even if we didn't choose to.

This debate is so closely tied in with a republic v commonwealth debate because if somebody wants us to become a republic then they are also wanting the flag to change.

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, change the flag. and i don't think we should have to become a republic to do it... look at canada. they have probably one of the best flags in the world.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Might look something like southern cross with coat or arms in place of the union jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.