Bulldog halfback Brett Kimmorley backs himself to play on for three more years

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Kimmorley was offered one year at a time deals I am pretty sure he would tell the club to f*ck off and head to the UK.

He is not getting any younger and has a family to feed, I think he would be interested in securing a longer term contract for the future (2 years min).

I think this may be the last year we have him TBH.

CB35

Waterboy
Reaction score
I doubt Mortimer will come to the Dogs - his old man already said he wants him to stay at Parra.

Let's also wait to see how Mortimer goes this year - we've seen how players go in their second year at Parra in the past - remember Tim Smith.

Kimmorley is the best option one year at a time.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 2011 if the dogs were paying Noddy say $150k to coach. Then after a 8 or 9 rounds we are looking for some experience & we sign him to a match payments deal only to play.

Does this get around the salary cap?

If so that would be our best option. Keep him without an impact on the cap!

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmm, don't know about an extra 3 years. He has great form, but he hasn't had a major injury to his hammy/knees/ankles. They will take longer to heal. Plus the the forwards were doing their job last year and making it easier for the halves to create opportunities.

He is the form half back and we don't have anyone banging down the door to grab his position, yet.

Let's see what this year brings.

MAD DOG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know the dogs are 100% keen on signing Daniel Mortimer for 2011 and beyond as a long term prospect for the club... but are the dogs still keen on chasing Thurston??? or signing both of them????

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
i know the dogs are 100% keen on signing Daniel Mortimer for 2011 and beyond as a long term prospect for the club... but are the dogs still keen on chasing Thurston??? or signing both of them????
no way are they able to buy both.

not enough money under the cap for that.

Shanghai Dog

Campsie/Yangtze
Reaction score
This is tricky. Some guys have gone too early - Price for example. He had years left in him. I also think we should have kept Sherwin in 2008. His kicking game and general organisational skills in attack and defence would have kept us off the bottom of the ladder for sure IMO. But we let him go to the UK.

Some guys like Darren Smith and Jason Smith have got the genes and "smarts" to play into their mid-30s. I would put Kimmorley in the same category. I don't have any doubt that he could play 2 years at least. He is also tough. Try to remember back to how great he was playing in 2010 before the eye socket got broken. He is the incumbent NSW half back and engineered our first win against QLD in a while.

So I would rather keep him for 2011 and get a high impact back row forward with our spare cash. That would actually prolong Kimmorley's career as well TBH.

Also, I think we will have more chance of winning the premiership in 2011 if we add this type of forward than shaft Kimmorley.

This all assumes he has another good year in 2010 and looks ok at finals time. It also assumes he accepts year-by-year contracts. You would be foolish to give any player a year contract in their mid-30s.

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
id resign him for 2011 with an extension for 2012 in clubs favour, but for him to say he wont play for another club after only one year at the dogs shows how much of an impression the club has made on him

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it would be a huge mistake for the dogs to resign Kimmorley. We need to look to the future and I think Ben Barba is our future halfback. If we resign Kimmorley its bye bye Barba. I really think this kid will be something special. I hope Moore gives him a real go this year but whilst Kimmorley is there not sure he will get much of a chance. Forget Thurston. He will erode our salary cap.

S

Shermy

Barba is no halfback - there has been a heap of kids over the years who dominated in Flegg and have never made there mark in First Grade and he will probably be one of them.

Whilst he improved considerably in 2009 - Roberts still is an enigma.
You need to find a Kimmorley clone and that is going to be hard to come by.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Barba is no halfback - there has been a heap of kids over the years who dominated in Flegg and have never made there mark in First Grade and he will probably be one of them.

Whilst he improved considerably in 2009 - Roberts still is an enigma.
You need to find a Kimmorley clone and that is going to be hard to come by.
Your post points square at Jonathan Thurston tbh

S

Shermy

I mentioned in another thread - Prince and Thurston are probably the only two.
Thurston is asking for WAYY too much.

well done

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
management seemed surprised when asked about him playing on, he should have spoken to them before the media IMO

But I'm sure thats how all the problems started at Cronulla, he talks to the media to get his way

Status
Not open for further replies.