anyone been to phuket

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
just booked my airfares to phuket for my honeymoon. has anyone been there. got any tips on places to go and see attractions apart from the transexuals

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
elephant riding ftw! boat cruise to one of the waterfalls for an epic swim!

Make sure yor bargain the **** out of everything. There is a tourist price, and a local price and they are a big difference so bargain it by at least 100-150% cuz they at least double the price in everything lol.

Oh yeah and neek :p

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
just booked my airfares to phuket for my honeymoon. has anyone been there. got any tips on places to go and see attractions apart from the transexuals
I went to Thailand in 2008 and spent 90% of my time in Phuket.

My reccomendations are;

* FantaSea
* Muay Thai fights (4 nights a week)
* Full Moon party
* Temples
* Markets
* Elephant ride
* Monkey/Snake shows
* Firing range

Patong beach is a hot spot though DON'T go on the jet skis are they are prone to be scams.

Most luggage boys at the hotel will offer to drive you around and take you places for about 700 baht ($30-35) and I DEFINITELY recommend it.

I'm going back over in April for Songkran and spending most of my time in Ko Samui

craig

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool. yeah im staying at the mecure at patong. keen as to ride a elephant and see some fights. ill be sure to take some of your tips with me cheers. definitely on that luggage boy deal. is that price just for the day or the whole stay im going for 7 nights

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
definitely on that luggage boy deal. is that price just for the day or the whole stay im going for 7 nights
It's an unofficial thing so it's negotiable... though it's a per day thing.

Don't forget to tip.

Remind you are in a foreign country who aren't well off. My favourite eating place in Patong is the 'Butterfly Cafe'. Unreal food and it's very cheap. We left them a 200 baht tip ($15 approx) and they went nuts. A 20kg bag of rice is around 200 baht so you are assisting their families quiet heavily.

This cafe was right near my hotel and I went there very often and the service you get, especially after being so generous will last you forever. It's still probably my favourite thing.

When are you heading over?

Your Mum

Jorgie
Reaction score
what anthony said. Awesome advice! Make sure you get a massage there too!!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
What a cool name for a place, I shall go there one day, just gotta watch the drug planters setting up Aussies.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
FantaSea was sorta cool to - and phuket zoo is awesome. you can get a photo taken with a tiger - and the tiger handler only has one arm.... comforting.

craig

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
im getting married up whitsundays on the beach feb 20 then heading over phuket march 1st till 8th. cant wait going to be awesome havent been overseas for 7 yrs

HickeyTickey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Go on a day cruise to phi phi island, that was awesome, then on the way back they take you for a snorkel tip the tour guide and he will take you snorkelling with the local reef sharks.

Eat at the dodgier looking places, the food is sooooo much better and less westernised.

I always started the barter at a third of the price.

Get the girls to write your name with their texta pen, a moment that will be treasured forever... Straight to the pool room.

And the tallies of Singha are awesome at about $2 australian

T

Toro

I went to Thailand in 2008 and spent 90% of my time in Phuket.

My reccomendations are;

* FantaSea
* Muay Thai fights (4 nights a week)
* Full Moon party
* Temples
* Markets
* Elephant ride
* Monkey/Snake shows
* Firing range

Patong beach is a hot spot though DON'T go on the jet skis are they are prone to be scams.

Most luggage boys at the hotel will offer to drive you around and take you places for about 700 baht ($30-35) and I DEFINITELY recommend it.

I'm going back over in April for Songkran and spending most of my time in Ko Samui
The above advice is pretty much spot-on.

I just got back from Thailand a few days ago. Spent pretty much all of it in Phuket...

I'll add some more recommendations:

• Hire a motorbike/scooter - just about EVERYONE gets around on those. They're cheap, easy to ride and parking is never an issue. Tuk-Tuks and taxis aren't always the best option.
  • Always try and haggle with the Thai locals... especially when it comes to buying stuff from shops and getting cab rides... You'd be amazed at how easy it is to bargain with them!
  • DONT pack much clothing! Seriously, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone in jeans, shoes, long-sleeved tops etc... Just pack some singlets, t-shirts, shorts and thongs... I learnt this the hard way! LOL
  • Thai locals appreciate it more if you speak to them in *very basic* english. Dont go using fancy words with them.
  • Learn to say thank you in Thai. "Kap kum Kap" (to a male), "Kap kum Kah" (to a female)... they appreciate it and it might even benefit you somehow .. i'd get discounts in some places for saying thank you in Thai.
  • Even though Patong is the most "happening" of places in Phuket, in terms of crowds and having fun - don't forget to check out Karon and Kata... they are nice! their beaches are even nicer! I had no idea the beaches in Phuket were covered in deck-chairs and umbrellas... and that you had to pay for them! LOL .. but they're cheap as chips and nice to relax on.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
I'm about to book my return to Thailand in March and April and we'll be going to Bangkok (duh), Chiang Mai, Patong, Koh Samui and Koh Phangan.

Full moon party, Songkran... can't wait!

I'm going to take your advise Toro with the Thai thank you

DOGGY INSIDER

New Pup
Reaction score
what is the currency rate at the momment and is it better to exchange overthere or here in sydney???

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
what is the currency rate at the momment and is it better to exchange overthere or here in sydney???
It's better to exchange there (I recommend exchanging $100 for 'just in case').

I think the current exchange rate is 27-28 baht for $1. In Thailand you'll get about 30-32 baht for every $1

Hodgo007

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want some serious advice PM me. I work in the Travel Industry !

Status
Not open for further replies.