Lay By

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Kurry-

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Soliola, after years of reading your posts, I can safely make the judgment you are the dullest and most uninteresting person, ever.

purpleskittles

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'd rather layby then have a CC...

I layby @ christmas purely to use the shops as a storage facility and that way my siblings don't know what I got em for chrissy cause they always raid my room!

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
okay.

ps. :roflol: Consumer = Market = The people that purchase. Duh. :p

M

MikeyP..

i dont think you can put discounted/onsale items on lay-by, can you?

btw yeah, just get a credit card.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Credit cards are ****ed....

Debit cards ftw

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Advising people to just go out and get a credit card - when they can't afford one - is just irresponsible. :(

To be able to lay-by goods is a very practical and logical choice, and can be very helpful, especially with essential household items. :grinning:

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
Advising people to just go out and get a credit card - when they can't afford one - is just irresponsible.
I'd say making purchases, regardless how you do it, when you can't afford it is irresponsible.

I see value in the layby system but as a business owner it's a horrible idea

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
go to your local kmart, target or bigw and take a brochure from eb games or Jb-hifi and they usually match it or do a better deal!!!

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say making purchases, regardless how you do it, when you can't afford it is irresponsible.

I see value in the layby system but as a business owner it's a horrible idea
If you can afford to pay it off over a few months, then I think it is fine. Especially if it is a necessity eg you know something like your fridge is going to die in the near future due to extreme old age.

If I was a business owner, I would think it would be a pain, but if they are otherwise going to lose the sale, then surely it is of benefit?

MrCharisma

Legendary
Reaction score
If I was a business owner, I would think it would be a pain, but if they are otherwise going to lose the sale, then surely it is of benefit?
If you think of stock control, imagine an area which is designated for laybys... you're a small retailer. That space isn't making you cash.

There is a greater risk of allowing layby and having someone not pay off past the initial deposit, then to keep it on the shelf and chance it being purchased at full price.

If a layby doesn't follow through, it'd been 8-12 weeks off the shelf and often not 'new' anymore, so it has to be discounted. So they are losing max profit AND need to reduce the item to get it off the shelf.

For things like furniture, I suggest a GE Money card. 1-3k borrowing for 12 months interest free.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think of stock control, imagine an area which is designated for laybys... you're a small retailer. That space isn't making you cash.

There is a greater risk of allowing layby and having someone not pay off past the initial deposit, then to keep it on the shelf and chance it being purchased at full price.

If a layby doesn't follow through, it'd been 8-12 weeks off the shelf and often not 'new' anymore, so it has to be discounted. So they are losing max profit AND need to reduce the item to get it off the shelf.

For things like furniture, I suggest a GE Money card. 1-3k borrowing for 12 months interest free.
Yeah, I was afraid you were going to come back to me with a logical post... :whacky:

Having said that, if places do still offer it, it is a worthwhile option. :grinning:

Leesee

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this thread is hysterical.

soliola, please don't post again until the easter show, or if you lose your rego papers, or if you hit a bmw. i really cannot take you seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.