Girl, 12, praised for rescuing drowning toddler

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoGs_R_dA_BeSt™

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 12-YEAR-OLD girl has been praised for saving her toddler brother from drowning in a pool in Sydney's west.

The girl pulled her four-year-old sibling to safety at about 8pm (AEDT) on Sunday after noticing him floating face down in the water, NRMA CareFlight said.

The girl applied first aid, which she had only learned last week at school, turning her brother on his side into the recovery position.

He coughed and immediately started to breathe.

Paramedics and the NRMA CareFlight trauma team arrived at the Province Street home in Abbotsbury soon after.

The boy was treated at the scene and taken by ambulance to Westmead Children's Hospital where he remains in a stable condition.

The NRMA CareFlight doctor said the girl's swift action had prevented a possible tragedy while the family, from nearby Bonnyrigg, had been cooling off at a friend's home.

"She showed the life-saving value of learning first aid, and did really well," the CareFlight doctor said.

this happened next door to my aunties house

d_eye

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where the HELL were the parents?????>:(

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Guys, it's very easy for a kid to drown sometimes. The blame shouldn't always be on the parents, although I do agree instances such as this should make parents more aware of their children's safety, especially when that young.

I almost drowned when I was 7yrs old on the GC. I was also a very good swimmer. I used to be right out the back of the crowd at the beach when I was about 9. My father was sunbaking by the pool, 5 metres away from me, when my leg cramped and I started to go under, REAL quickly. If I didn't spurt "Daddy" out as my mouth was going under, I would have drowned. And my dad was always a very loving father. Should he be crucified? No.

It only takes taking your eyes off your kid for 20 seconds. We're only human.

Maybe the parents were inside getting drinks or something, and the 12 yr old was responsible for the kid's safety for a minute or so? We'll never know, so we shouldn't really have a go at who's responsible.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys, it's very easy for a kid to drown sometimes. The blame shouldn't always be on the parents, although I do agree instances such as this should make parents more aware of their children's safety, especially when that young.

I almost drowned when I was 7yrs old on the GC. I was also a very good swimmer. I used to be right out the back of the crowd at the beach when I was about 9. My father was sunbaking by the pool, 5 metres away from me, when my leg cramped and I started to go under, REAL quickly. If I didn't spurt "Daddy" out as my mouth was going under, I would have drowned. And my dad was always a very loving father. Should he be crucified? No.

Maybe the parents were inside getting drinks or something, and the 12 yr old was responsible for the kid's safety for a minute or so? We'll never know, so we shouldn't really have a go at who's responsible.

You do know common sense and rational thinking is an infractable offence, do you not?

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

The parents were out at another pool party. By the sounds of the article, it sounds as if the kids were left alone at home. If that's the case then the parents should be condemned for what they did.

As for the bold part - damn! :p

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
fair point slip but knowing that there is a young child in the house...one would assume there would be care taken...but then again as you said we wont know the whole story

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
The parents were out at another pool party. By the sounds of the article, it sounds as if the kids were left alone at home. If that's the case then the parents should be condemned for what they did.

As for the bold part - damn! :p
The NRMA CareFlight doctor said the girl's swift action had prevented a possible tragedy while the family, from nearby Bonnyrigg, had been cooling off at a friend's home.

That could also mean they were all at the same house where the kid almost drowned. ;)

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Btw Rami, I still remember seeing my dad from under water dive in front of me like it was yesterday.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

That could also mean they were all at the same house where the kid almost drowned. ;)
Yes, yes.

If they were all in the same place that's understandable.

Now come past my place tonight so I can finish the job :evil:

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Btw Rami, I still remember seeing my dad from under water dive in front of me like it was yesterday.
I just saw this... *hugs*

TBH, I almost drowned in my neighbours pool when I was a kid...

I went with my cousins who lived next door to them, and I was pressured to swim to the deep end on a floating board with my cousin.

I ended up panicking and let go of the board and sank into the water..

All I remember seeing was water, and then a hand cupped my mouth and rescued me.. it was the owner of the house :o

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
I just saw this... *hugs*

TBH, I almost drowned in my neighbours pool when I was a kid...

I went with my cousins who lived next door to them, and I was pressured to swim to the deep end on a floating board with my cousin.

I ended up panicking and let go of the board and sank into the water..

All I remember seeing was water, and then a hand cupped my mouth and rescued me.. it was the owner of the house :o
It's scary when you think about it man. A few seconds more and you or I may not have been here today.

It's okay my pretty, it's okay. *rubs back of neck*

Best thing anyone can do is learn from that for when you have your own kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.