Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maxbodyboarder

Turner leaves a winner
05/10/2009 8:54 PM
Luke Buttigieg

Steve Turner shed tears after the Storm win
Departing winger Steve Turner 'couldn't have scripted it better' after ending his six-year stint with Melbourne with an emotional second premiership victory on Sunday night.

The 24-year-old is headed to the Bulldogs after earlier this year becoming the latest Storm star to be squeezed out by the salary cap and he admits that he shed some tears with captain Cam Smith after the 23-16 win over the Eels.

"It did (get emotional)," Turner said.

"(There were) tears of joy and tears of sadness because this club's been wonderful to me and they've been a very close part of my life this Melbourne Storm club."

"To leave on the highest possible note is great and something I'm going to cherish for a while because these are mates for life."

"We've had some wonderful memories and I'm sure we're going to cherish this one for a long time."

"It's disappointing and sad to leave this club but it's a new life and a new career for me at the Dogs and a new journey and a new chapter in my rugby league career."

"My journey here at the Storm has been wonderful, it's been a wonderful six years … but just to be a part of a successful period has been great and an honour to play a part in."

Smith was delighted that his 2009 room-mate, who he said again joked about now retiring after grabbing two premiership rings from four successive grand finals, can now join the blue and whites knowing he gave his all for the Melbourne cause.

"He's a very important part of our club and our team and he's a great bloke, everyone loves him being a part of what we've done," Smith said.

"He's going to a great club the Bulldogs (but) he's going to be missed immensely at our club."

"Everyone really loves his company so it's great to send him off this way, there was no other way to send him off."

"It's a fitting end for his time at the Storm, he's put so much into our club, he's only a small fella, he's had some horrific injuries, but every time he pulls that purple jumper on he just throws himself into the opposition and everyone loves him and we wish him all the best."

Turner, who came close to missing out on the 2007 and '09 titles after agreeing to join the Titans at the end of 2006 before changing his mind and fortunately being permitted to stay with the club, also expects Craig Bellamy to guide the Storm to further success in years to come.

"It's obviously only myself and Will Chambers out of the starting 17 today who are leaving (while) Anthony Quinn comes back and Sika Manu comes back (from injury)," he added.

"The club's in wonderful hands, the (under) 20s were a great squad this year and they got the premiership as well so who knows how much success they're going to have."

"I'm glad to say I played a small part in what's been a successful time for being at the club."

"He's a wonderful coach (Bellamy) … and he's going to have some success here in years to come because he's got a wonderful group of players and it's just been a privilege to play underneath him and play alongside some players who are going to go down as greats of the game."

Targeted by Parramatta's kicking game, particularly in the first half, Turner 'combated it well' after setting himself the goal on the eve of the finals to 'really give my all for this club because we really deserved to get what we won tonight'

by Parramatta's kicking game, particularly in the first half, Turner 'combated it well' after setting himself the goal on the eve of the finals to 'really give my all for this club because we really deserved to get what we won tonight'.

http://sportal.com.au/League-news-display/turner-leaves-a-winner-79077/page/2

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Steve Turner really loves using the word "wonderful" lol

Kind of like the way Nikau loved using the word "fantastic" lol

I hope he bleeds the same, if not more, passion for the Bulldogs as he did for Melbourne. He's already accomplished a lot, and would hate to see him drop his enthusiasm.

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol you have tothink that if Melbourne wanted him THAT badly then they could have found room for him.

craig

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hope he doesnt pull another swifty like wen he signed with titans and then wanted to stays at storm and take it to court. hope his head is in the right place

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Think of it this way.....

We are dogs fans, now rewind to after the GF win of 2004, the club doesnt want you as a fan anymore tho due to quotos and what not and you sign up to the eels forums, have to hang out with the guys there as that is your new home.

How do you feel ?

Yeah, pretty sh*tty feeling isn't it ?

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I did bag him when we first signed him but thats because I used to get into fights at school.

I still say wait and see what happens because Tia Kalifi got some first grade at the Panthers and I am sure he isn't gonna drop back to reserve grade

TJ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It is a good omen. He is a player who follows success. Storm had their four year spell now it is the bulldogs turn.

habibz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I did bag him when we first signed him but thats because I used to get into fights at school.

I still say wait and see what happens because Tia Kalifi got some first grade at the Panthers and I am sure he isn't gonna drop back to reserve grade

Tia Killifi is signed purely as back and nothing else. Turner is here on just a bit less than El Masri and is only here to play firsts. Moore loves him and tried to sign him for the season just passed. Irrelavant he is a top player and should do really well

infamous-l

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
hope he goes well,should be a good replacement for hazem.good grand final experiance anyway!!

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
he should go alright for us...wish him all the best :grinning:

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Think of it this way.....

We are dogs fans, now rewind to after the GF win of 2004, the club doesnt want you as a fan anymore tho due to quotos and what not and you sign up to the eels forums, have to hang out with the guys there as that is your new home.

How do you feel ?

Yeah, pretty sh*tty feeling isn't it ?
LOL how is that an accurate comparison to Turners situation?

Achilles

Back to Belmore
Reaction score
His only 24 and already has 2 Premiership rings. Now he has a chance to get some more at the Dogs. Not bad. Some blokes play there whole career and never win one.

Status
Not open for further replies.