Dogs dump Knights to earn week off

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dogs dump Knights to earn week off

The Bulldogs did justice to their brilliant regular season performance with a grinding 26-12 victory over Newcastle at Sydney's Olympic stadium on Saturday night.

Without the guiding hand of half-back Brett Kimmorley, the Dogs managed to see off a gallant surge by the Knights as the outsiders came within six points with just under half an hour to play.

Newcastle centre Junior Sau picked up the opening points of the match against the run of play but his barging effort was soon cancelled out by a try to Bulldogs centre Josh Morris and a first-half double by full-back Luke Patten.

Behind 18-6 at half-time, a Scott Dureau try gave Newcastle a fighting chance only for a four-pointer from Dally M Prop of the Year Ben Hannant to seal the victory on 73 minutes and eliminate the Knights from the finals.

The win propels the Bulldogs into the third week of the finals and a game away from the grand final whilst also keeping Manly's finals hopes alive.

But the Sea Eagles, who lost 40-12 to Melbourne on Friday night, can still make an early exit from the finals if Parramatta upsets the Dragons on Sunday after Brisbane toppled the Titans.

Semi-final style football

Hannant said his side had control of the match before Sau's try and needed to respond accordingly.

"We had the roll on and [had] just one little lapse and they scored that try," he told ABC Grandstand.

"We knew the momentum was in our favour and we could grind the game out and come out on top.

"It was all about semi-final style football. Grinding it out, completing your sets and hard aggressive running and I think our boys really showed that tonight."

Hannant was also full of praise for former Broncos team-mate Michael Ennis, who stood up and directed the Dogs around the park after last week's heavy defeat to the Tigers without Kimmorley.

"Ennis is fantastic, he has been great all year and deserved all the accolades he gets," Hannant said of the Dally M Hooker of the Year.

"Big Jamal Idris was fantastic too with a lot of courage. If we want to go far in these finals we need young guys like him stepping up."

The Knights were hampered early with hooker Isaac De Gois leaving the field in the early stages after re-injuring a troublesome knee injury that had him doubtful for the match.

Veteran backrower Steve Simpson injured his wrist minutes later and played only a limited role in the defeat.

Bulldogs: 26 (L Patten 2, J Morris, B Hannant tries; H El Masri 4/4 conversions; 1/2 penalties)

Knights: 12 (J Sau, S Dureau tries; K Gidley 1/1, Dureau 1/1 conversions)

Audio: Interview: Michael Ennis (Grandstand) Listen Here

Audio: Interview: Ben Hannant (Grandstand) Listen Here

Audio: Interview: Kevin Moore (Grandstand) Listen Here

Source

Last edited by a moderator:

chadiwrx

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
^^ I have plenty that I'll up tomorrow. I got my Bro in-law to come with his camera.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
we went to the leagues club, came back home like 20 mins ago. The players were all there pretty much, they pretty much sat with us in the sports bar and mingled with fans!

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
how awesome was hazem's break :love: talk bout turning back the clock!

doctr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great game, improvements needed obviously but I enjoyed it. good work team, awesome

craig

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like how you have those links to the interviews good stuff thanks

so pumped for semi. two weeks of having a smile on the face and no farkwit giving schit to me cos winners are grinners

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
What an awsome match, that was just about the best defence I ever saw, very tough display from the Dogs.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Was a great semi final type win. Exactly what we needed to do.
If we had BK, we would have won 30+

Status
Not open for further replies.