Status
Not open for further replies.

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
Ex-Shark linked to Roosters

* By Josh Massoud
* September 12, 2009 12:01AM

FALLEN ex-Sharks CEO Tony Zappia has been thrown a lifeline by the Roosters, whose new coach Brian Smith wants the controversial administrator on board as football manager.

Zappia said Smith had asked if he was interested in resurrecting his career at Bondi in 2010. The development came as Roosters' recruitment boss Peter O'Sullivan confirmed the club was willing to chase another surprise recruit - former Dragons' prop Jason Ryles.

Smith's immediate move to pursue Zappia comes as a shock, given it has been less than three months since the administrator stood down from the helm at Cronulla amid controversy. His demise began after accidentally punching former community relations officer Jenny Hall during a shadow-boxing bout last August.

The incident led to Hall quitting in December, but the real drama began when she released secretly recorded conversations in which Zappia offered to let her spank him.

Zappia has kept a low profile since falling on his sword in June, spending a month in Europe sounding out job opportunities with UK Super League clubs. It's understood he attracted interest from Celtic Crusaders, but would prefer not to move his family from Sydney's southwest.

Smith, who sensationally left Newcastle last month after secretly signing a four-year deal to coach the Roosters, sent Zappia a text message last month about the Tricolours football manager position. Smith has been in Mexico visiting his son, but arrived home last week and began working at the Roosters on Tuesday. He did not return calls and text messages last night.

"Brian made an inquiry, but it hasn't gone any further than that,'' Zappia told The Daily Telegraph. "I'm interested in any opportunities in rugby league, but there's been no further indication as to whether there's a position available.''

The pair worked together at Parramatta for almost a decade, filling the identical positions of coach and football manager, and they remain close friends.

"I haven't heard from Brian since he went overseas,'' Zappia said. "From what I understand the Roosters are restructuring their football department but I don't know any more than that.''

Despite Smith's approach, Roosters CEO Steve Noyce last night said there were no plans to include a football manager in the restructure. "At this stage we are looking at putting more resources into high performance,'' Noyce said.

Noyce said he had been in touch with Zappia, but not to discuss a job at the Roosters. "Zap is a good mate of mine - we went to school together,'' he said.

Smith has already signalled his intention to make wholesale changes, dispensing with long-serving trainer Ronnie Palmer. Zappia's hire would cause controversy but a Sharks' inquiry cleared him of wrongdoing.

NRL boss David Gallop has also given Zappia his blessing to return, after initially suggestion he would "find it very difficult'' to work in rugby league again. At a meeting last month, Gallop offered Zappia a position in PNG.

"That's something I'm thinking about as well, but I still don't have all the details,'' Zappia said. "As I mentioned, I'm open to any opportunities in rugby league.''

The Roosters yesterday signed Raiders' speedster Phil Graham for two seasons, and O'Sullivan confirmed Ryles, currently playing with French Super League outfit Les Catalans, was a possibility.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ex-shark-linked-to-roosters/story-e6frexni-1225772042288

Darbas

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont they have enough problems atm?

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Willie Mason, Nate Myles, Freddy Fitler, Anthony Cherrington, Jake Friend, Setiamata Sa, Todd Carney, Tony Zappia - The foundations of failure for years to come !

Seriously Roosters : Are you even trying anymore ?

I got an idea : Why not go the full-Nine ?

* Get Reni Maitua can be your dietician.
* Get David Boon as team-manager : A more than worthy candidate who knows how to sink 'em.
* If Brendan Fevola finishes his career nice-and-early, I'd suggest picking him up too - He 'loves' gtting on the sauce and waving around inflatable adult novelties in public.
* If Nick wants to splash out a little, Brett Stewart would make a good defensive consultant when his knee gives out. HE can teach 'em how to switch off, and tackle anything that moves.

FMD - Just take the cash and run to central Qld you embarassments.

craig

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
chooks have signed jason ryles and phil graham from raiders for next year too

R

rocky IV

hahahahah mad idea

now they will *** up so bad they have to fold

Jester

Phill
Reaction score
Good luck with Zappia, he'll be punching Mitchell Pearch all day long.
Mitchell isn't a girl.

Honestly, who shadow boxes and hits some passerby hard enough to give them a black eye?

Other than Greg Inglis?

100% Warriors

THANKS HAZ!
Reaction score
Roosters need to be kicked out of the comp hth, their giving the NRL a bad name

Status
Not open for further replies.