Michael Sullivan signs with Orange CYMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
http://www.centralwesterndaily.com....cyms-sign-nrl-player/1620894.aspx?storypage=0

CYMS sign NRL player
BY DANIEL BRIGGS

ORANGE CYMS yesterday signalled their intentions to rebound from a horror 2009 Group 10 season by unveiling one of the highest-profile signings in the club’s history.

Michael Sullivan, who boasts 74 games of NRL experience, will become the highest-profile player in Group 10 from next season after the 29-year-old signed a two-year deal to captain-coach the green and golds.

CYMS have had plenty of captain-coaches with first grade playing experience in Sydney in recent times - including Luke Goodwin, Mick Mullice, Ray Spurr and most recently Pat Gibson in 2008 - but rarely do players under 30 with recent NRL experience venture back out to the bush.

“It’s just beautiful,” CYMS president Ray Agland said.

“We’ve been negotiating with Michael for a few months now and he will not only be a huge asset to the club, but also to the Orange community.”

Sullivan, who played NRL as recently as July in the Bulldogs’ 18-14 win over the Warriors, will take over the role from his older brother Scott and is excited about the challenge of developing CYMS’ young talent next season.

“My last couple of years at the Bulldogs have been plagued by injury but this is the sort of challenge I’ve been looking to take up for a while now,” said Sullivan, who made his NRL debut for the Northern Eagles in 2000 before rising to prominence as Cronulla’s hooker from 2002-2005.

“I know the club’s got some good juniors in the 18s and that they lost their fullback Basso (Tim Bassmann) before the start of the season, he is an exciting young player.

“I’d like to think I can help bring some of those players through.

“If they’re good enough, hopefully even help them play in Sydney through my contacts there.

“Peter Mulholland, who is the Bulldogs’ recruitment manager, has asked me to stay in touch with him for that.”

Agland says Sullivan’s main focus will be on bringing the club’s young talent through, although the green and golds are unlikely to be putting away their cheque book just yet.

“We do have a couple of voids we need to fill. We want to be very competitive next year. Everyone’s in it to win it,” he said.

CYMS are likely to keep nearly all of their 2009 squad, although Gibson will move on and is close to signing a captain-coach deal with a Group 6 club.

Sullivan will move to Orange full-time in February and in the meantime will undergo rehabilitation with Bulldogs physiothe****** Tony Ayoub after having plates inserted in his foot three weeks ago following an injury playing for the Bulldogs’ reserve grade side, Bankstown City.

Before then Sullivan will be a guest speaker at CYMS’ presentation night at the Ophir Tavern on Friday, September 25.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
wtfff surely he could have gotten a gig at an NRL team :(

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
whats with our Reserve Grade squad not moving to a different NRL Club?

1st Crisp, moving to Young. Now Sulli ?

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
What a shame - he may have been useful now - ennis could have played 7 with sulli at 9....

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Wish him well - shame he couldn't get a gig elsewhere in the NRL

morgandogs

ARMIT LOVE
Reaction score
good lck to him mayb he is jst over the nrl hopeflly he can find some talent for us

metpej

Waterboy
Reaction score
“If they’re good enough, hopefully even help them play in Sydney through my contacts there.

“Peter Mulholland, who is the Bulldogs’ recruitment manager, has asked me to stay in touch with him for that.”
Could be good news for the Dogs

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
This is why the league needs to split into 2 competition draws of near equal skill, or expand.

Sully is way too good a player to be wasted playing country football!

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
He obviously wants to go there. I don't think we need to feel sorry for him.

S

Snake Jailbird

Onya Sullo.

Gotta love the talk **** bulldogs connections

craig

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he knows he was never going to get a run on the team with the nsw, dally m and soon to be a kangaroo hooker ennis in front of him. good luck to him. never reached his full potential at the dogs cos of injurys but great player likewise. dogs freeing up the salary cap a bit now

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He obviously wants to go there. I don't think we need to feel sorry for him.
exactly. sounds like he doesnt want to live in sydney (who would???)... and wants to go there for a change of atmosphere and something more low key

good for him.

Berries

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Deadset thats ****ed, Sullivan on the bench would have 50000000000000 times the decision to ever play that hack known as Barba.

He would have been the strike weapon.

-alex-

fiesty midget
Reaction score
bye bye Sulli you will be missed =(

I wish he was in the squad tonight tbh Sullivan > Holdsworth imo

Status
Not open for further replies.