Status
Not open for further replies.

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
Western Sydney Bid Unveiled

Aidan Ormond
May 31 2009 23:57

THE REBADGED Greater Western Sydney A-League bid meets FFA today with a plan to make their franchise one for the people of Sydney and with a base at ANZ Stadium.

The Greater Western Sydney catchment area is an evolution of the Premier State concept launched some months ago, say bid representatives.

The bid claims$3 million guaranteed income in season one and a market place in excess of two million people in their targeted demographic.

The bid plans to play home A-League games at ANZ Stadium and GW Sydney will be ready to join the A-League from the 2010/11 season, say backers.

"The bid is driven by the football community," says bid representative Chris Tanner. "It's a club for the people, players, schools, clubs, state league clubs, the whole product is designed to service the needs of the football community," he told au.fourfourtwo.com.

It's understood a meeting at ANZ Stadium last Friday thrashed out the bid's major points.

Tanner also rejected the notion that ANZ Stadium would be too big a venue for the franchise, saying plans are already in place to ramp up the stadium's game-day experience for the A-League.

It's understood a lucrative hire agreement with the stadium is set to be signed should the bid succeed. They propose however to also play other games across Sydney similar to Sydney FC's pre-season community "tour".

Joining Tanner on the bid are two former footballers. Richie Williams and Peter Begley. Williams is a former Marconi player from the 1980s and the pair have since moved into the business-building line of work.

"The opportunity to build a football business model like this is something Chris and I had discussed many years ago when we were building a semi-professional competition in western NSW" said Williams.

"In fact, the concept is not dissimilar to what we did before. It's around a game that inspires and brings life to people, and is developed around community involvement.

"We would like to bring a business model that integrates the community, schools, associations and clubs."

Other specifics of the bid are being kept in-house but some ground-breaking announcements are expected later in the week.

Other points to the bid include:

* a model where marketing revenue involves partner beneficiaries such as district associations, state league clubs and schools
* a women's football academy running side-by-side with a men's academy in each participating district association
* management and education of coaches and elite players in co-operation with state league club partners.

http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/104480,western-sydney-bid-unveiled.aspx

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The A League is no better than the NSL was and is dying more and more by the day because all of the bandwagoners aren't so bamboozled by the hype anymore.

PeaKer

Origin Rep
Reaction score
The A League is no better than the NSL was and is dying more and more by the day because all of the bandwagoners aren't so bamboozled by the hype anymore.
Game, set & match!

However the soccer during the NSL days was a hell lot better & exciting than what is currently on show in the A League.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
the a league is slow, crap and boring.

they have now added two teams which will now spead the **** talent already playing and add ****ter talent to the sport.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
exactly, why the hell are they adding more teams? :whacky:

You want less so there's more talent at a club, and also more money to go around

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
To make the comp stronger. Its like why are they thinking of adding more teams to the NRL when teams are dying. Unlike the NRL the A - League is gaining interest with the public and billionares are investing in it

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
To make the comp stronger. Its like why are they thinking of adding more teams to the NRL when teams are dying. Unlike the NRL the A - League is gaining interest with the public and billionares are investing in it
gaining interest, sydney fc crowds have dropped every year since it started

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
gaining interest, sydney fc crowds have dropped every year since it started
Thats because Sydney FC havent been winning and thats what Sydney siders want and thats a winning Sydney team. If they start winning this season and play well watch the crowds increase

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Give melbourne another team. sydney doesnt deserve one. People here dont get behind their local sporting teams. Too may yuppies

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is having the home ground at ANZ stadium a good idea, the average home attendance will probably only be 10,000.

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Is having the home ground at ANZ stadium a good idea, the average home attendance will probably only be 10,000.
I don't get it.. I think they will only be there short term until their new home at Riverstone (which I drive past regularly and is STILL a paddock) is completed.

As for another team, I'd agree it's stupid for Sydneysiders, but if they played this team out of Parramatta Stadium for the meantime and actually made it a Western Sydney team which then supported the West, it would have more fans than Sydney FC.... hate to say it, but Western Sydney is more parochial.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
As for another team, I'd agree it's stupid for Sydneysiders, but if they played this team out of Parramatta Stadium for the meantime and actually made it a Western Sydney team which then supported the West, it would have more fans than Sydney FC.... hate to say it, but Western Sydney is more parochial.
Nostradamus

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Have been watching the Women's A league competition this year and find that some of the games are no where near as good as previous years.Equalization of talent has taken place big time. Considering the profile of the competition, nowhere near that of the boys, crowds have been magical, I think 14000 odd to one game. Sydney FC and WSW played last weekend and the game ended disappointingly 2-1 to WSW (on a penalty and an own goal).The game was played at Edensor Park on a crappy artificial surface which probably accounted for some of the poor football, it just seemed so slow.
Imagine my surprise when the commentators spoke of the WSW coach, one Normie Boardman. Norm was my coach when I played ladies soccer for Easts in the Bankstown competition many moons ago. Local Greenacre boy made good. I know that the girls competition does not have as many teams as the A league but surely they could play the ladies games as a curtain raiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.