Doubts About Bobcat Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
I had my doubts about his future for most of the season and then he had some decent form for a while. Well today he was horrendous. One of, if not our worst. I know he works hard but he also makes a lot of errors. That pass he tried throwing deep in his own half was so dumb. Corey Hughes was in his pocket and he just threw it into him. His attempt on Hodges on the tryline was very soft too.

The boys have shown, even in some of the worst performances that they can attack quite well at times, but it's dumb plays and stupid errors like that that have cost them all year. Today they were in that match all the way but blew it with the crap Bobcat and the halves threw up.

I've liked and respected Bobcat as a player since he became a Bulldog but I just don't think he's good enough anymore sadly.

Malla

Reaction score
The Bulldogs arent good enough anymore.

cmrn

can i buy a vowel please?
Reaction score
i'd still give him a shot behind a decent forward pack.

yeah that's right, an acutal decent forward pack no the 2 bit **** we have now.

judge him on next year my friend.

rand0m3r

Since 1994
Reaction score
this was probably his first bad game all season. he's not the same player he once was, but still gets through a mountain of work. we haven't had someone like that since grimaldi.

ChrisInflames

Analgoliath
Reaction score
Pointless.. bob cat was still one of our best players on the field.. wow he had one bad game.. lets get rid of him imo.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think alot of us share the same concerns Tempo, but I think when rejuvenated after this off season, with a fresh new approach with many new key faces and a new coaching staff, a new season and a fair few players back from injury, and with the team alot more successful, Bobcat will improve a great deal on form, as will almost every player.

I think only then can Bobcat be judged fully and if the same problems are evident then, no excuses can be made. But time will tell.

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
I've thought that the team as a whole isn't good enough too but the reality is, certain players have been decent or better all year and Bobcat has had his worse season ever and that includes his Parra days.

The Bulldogs are going through a quick rebuild with new board, new CEO, new coach and training staff and new players. They might as well go the whole hog and get rid of the deadwood. When you're captain is one of the worst each week, it doesn't help the team perform. I've said that General or someone else should take the captaincy before and that would be better than dropping him. See if Bobcat can find his form of old without the added concern of captaincy.

Edit: What are you talking about aussiecam? He's one of the forward pack and supposed to be the leader!

LOL@it being his first bad game all season. It would be easier to count his good games than his bad, they've been so few tbh.

I think he's very tired. that's how he looks anyway. Maybe the workrate is the problem. Again I say, free him up from the captaincy and see if he improves. Meanwhile, Daniel Harrison can be groomed to replace him.

cmrn

Reaction score
LOL

bobcat is our defensive liability that has leaked 1420812 points. PRAISE JEEBUS WE FOUND OUR PROBLEM!!!

correct me if im wrong, but hasn't he lead our most tackles all season?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've thought that the team as a whole isn't good enough too but the reality is, certain players have been decent or better all year and Bobcat has had his worse season ever and that includes his Parra days.

The Bulldogs are going through a quick rebuild with new board, new CEO, new coach and training staff and new players. They might as well go the whole hog and get rid of the deadwood. When you're captain is one of the worst each week, it doesn't help the team perform. I've said that General or someone else should take the captaincy before and that would be better than dropping him. See if Bobcat can find his form of old without the added concern of captaincy.
I agree with that and think Bobcat would be further unburdened and refreshed even more by relinquishing his duties as captain and passing them onto a born leader in the General who would relish the challenge.

I think that would have a positive effect on Bobcat's form.

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
I think alot of us share the same concerns Tempo, but I think when rejuvenated after this off season, with a fresh new approach with many new key faces and a new coaching staff, a new season and a fair few players back from injury, and with the team alot more successful, Bobcat will improve a great deal on form, as will almost every player.

I think only then can Bobcat be judged fully and if the same problems are evident then, no excuses can be made. But time will tell.
I agree it's difficult to be harsh on players going by this season but I reiterate the point that some players have still been good, even though it's the most tragic season i've seen in my 15 years or so following the club. Players like Hickey, Te Maari, Hughes and at the back end of the season Utai and Koups have all performed well. Even Idris and Kite have been better than Ryan. We all know he does heaps of work but that's besides the point. It's the dumb plays and errors which have been the issue.

We have to be realistic and put together a young(ish) team that can compete with the best. People didn't like that Noad let O'Meley go but I was one that believed his best was behind him and that's been proven this year. I think the same goes for Bobcat tbh. I really can't see him making much impact in the future. He's getting on and has busted his butt for so many years. He must be very weary.

It's a new era at the Bulldogs and I want to see the entertainers of old. With the young forwards and the backs we'll have next year and Noddy and Ennis stearing them around, we can do big things, but taking the soft options will just hinder us.

The fact is, The Bulldogs have always stuck loyal with certain players in return for their good service. On one hand I like that loyalty, but on the other I think, it's 2008 and we need to give the spot to the best player to compete at the level required to be successful.

cmrn

Reaction score
he is a 2nd rower at best, and he does lead. check his stats all season. most 2nd rowers only shine behind a good front row, we have had the worst front row in our history.

you talk about tiredness.. it comes from him, being one of the only people to give his all all year. it's really as simple as that, and i'm shocked people are questioning his form.

so, perhaps you should hold off til next year, when he has an acutal front row to run alongside and reserve your judgement til then.

PS If we went of this years form, we'd have about 30 players out of contract. agree no?

MANNIX

Black Dog
Reaction score
Patten or Kimmorley for captain.

Let Ryan play the game he knows best.

He should be thinking about moving up to the front row soon anyway.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
he is a 2nd rower at best, and he does lead. check his stats all season. most 2nd rowers only shine behind a good front row, we have had the worst front row in our history.

you talk about tiredness.. it comes from him, being one of the only people to give his all all year. it's really as simple as that, and i'm shocked people are questioning his form.

so, perhaps you should hold off til next year, when he has an acutal front row to run alongside and reserve your judgement til then.

PS If we went of this years form, we'd have about 30 players out of contract. agree no?
If we went by this forum, this would be the team

1 - Patten (oh wait he's injured)
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -
11 - SBW (oh wait he left)
12 -
13 -
------------
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -

Yeah, lol, there would be no players left besides patten who is in jured so basically no one.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
It has been a very long season for him as captain and he would be emotionally and physically drained. He is a workhorse that needs a good charf bag and a shady tree. We need him for next year because he will be the glue.

luke

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we went by this forum, this would be the team

1 - Patten (oh wait he's injured)
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 -
8 -
9 -
10 -
11 - SBW (oh wait he left)
12 -
13 -
------------
14 -
15 -
16 -
17 -

Yeah, lol, there would be no players left besides patten who is in jured so basically no one.
you say some stupid stuff alot of the time kimlo but this post is spot on.

jasonwhite

Waterboy
Reaction score
Maybe he is getting tired from carrying the whole pack on his shoulders!! Give the Cat a break.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
Bobcat deserves to be captain. And a lot of people forget, its not just how good you are on the field, it's how good you are off it too. He is a great example of a team leader.
I laugh at these threads, there was someone saying that SBW should be captain earlier in the year

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've said it before, but I think Bobcat tries to play a different type of game when we dont have other players doing their bit, and he does make mistakes when not playing his natural game. He is trying to do too much. When at his best he makes a million tackles per game and hangs outwide creating things for our backs, but now we dont have anyone else doing the creative stuff, he tries to offload up the middle and makes mistakes on top of his usual 40 tackles per game. I think he is just worn out mentally and physically, but will be back better than ever next year playing the way he does best.

C

chipandchase

I agree with that and think Bobcat would be further unburdened and refreshed even more by relinquishing his duties as captain and passing them onto a born leader in the General who would relish the challenge.

I think that would have a positive effect on Bobcat's form.
as a personal friend of Bobcat's, one of the main reasons he resigned with us was that at the end of his career, he will be most capped captain in Dogs history, he deserves that and he will continue with the captaincy.
IMO i think he should move to prop and play a Steve Price type like role.
i have said this since last year, he isnt keen on the move but what ever is best for the team

moefromoz

Metal Guru
Reaction score
Patten or Kimmorley for captain.

Let Ryan play the game he knows best.

He should be thinking about moving up to the front row soon anyway.
Taking the weight of captaincy off Bobcats shoulders would be the way to go imo. I love the guy [as a player] and no one can deny that he's been an outstanding Bulldog, but I do think it's time for him to play his own game and not worry about every one else in the team, if you know what I mean.
Passing the captaincy on to Luke Patten would be a good decision...and something I would like to see happen. He'll certainly handle it......BUT...... giving it to Noddy his first season in won't be good for team morale, imo.
It won't matter to the new guys that have signed on, but I think it'll be seen as a big slap in the face to The General and the guys who are staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.