Status
Not open for further replies.

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
August 31, 2008 news.com.au
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24270016-23109,00.html

ENGLISH side Stonewall Lions beat Argentinian side SAF Gay 5-0 in the final of the annual gay men's world championship in London today, organisers said.

Stonewall triumphed over the Seleccion Argentina de Futbol Gay at the Matchroom Stadium, home of the east London third-tier English League One side Leyton Orient.

The trophy was presented by former England midfielder Trevor Brooking. The tournament was organised by the International Gay and Lesbian Football Association.

Teams from Australia, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Iceland, Ireland, Japan, Mexico, Scotland, Sweden and the United States registered to take part.

Stonewall - who won the European gay football championship last month - lost in the final of last year's championship, held in Buenos Aires, to Argentinian side Deportistas Argentinos Gays.

Peter Tatchell, Britain's most prominent gay human rights campaigner, said: "This championship brings together lesbian and gay football teams from across the world, encourages more gay people to get involved in the sport and, through the spending power of visiting teams and spectators, benefits the London economy.

"It challenges the machismo and homophobia that is often associated with football in many parts of the world.

"Gay footballers help break down stereotypes and prejudice. They are ambassadors for gay inclusion and equality. Gay football enhances understanding and acceptance of gay and lesbian people."

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
How exactly do they prove the players are gay...

smarty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
do any of their players play in non-gay only domestic/international leagues?

The-Game

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol prob figured cause they're playing with balls that they're gay, whats funny is they get hit by balls and fall down and sook, but they're usd to balls smacking their chin and dont complain, eitherway they're all gay cause its the most boring sport ever

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think there's a forward playing for the Welsh Team who is a gay dude... I think name is Gareth Thomas. I didn't believe when my friend told me about 3 years ago at school but its on Wikipedia so it must be true.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there's a forward playing for the Welsh Team who is a gay dude... I think name is Gareth Thomas. I didn't believe when my friend told me about 3 years ago at school but its on Wikipedia so it must be true.
You mean the dual-code Rugby International? The guy has captained the British and Irish Lions on tour and is a legend of Welsh Rugby Union. About three years back, he split up with his wife and came out as gay. He's now playing for the Crusaders in Super League (Warburton's bunch next year). He's still going strong at 35 and has bounced between Fullback, Wing and Centre since coming to League.

There's even plans for a film of his life story with Mickey Rourke (!) playing him.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You mean the dual-code Rugby International? The guy has captained the British and Irish Lions on tour and is a legend of Welsh Rugby Union. About three years back, he split up with his wife and came out as gay. He's now playing for the Crusaders in Super League (Warburton's bunch next year). He's still going strong at 35 and has bounced between Fullback, Wing and Centre since coming to League.

There's even plans for a film of his life story with Mickey Rourke (!) playing him.
Wouldn't be lining to watch that one...:p But at 35 and still playing professional rugby, that's a darn good effort. I didn't even know he was switch codes... best of luck to him in that one... Crusaders aren't known for success though they had a promising season last year and at just the right time too when the Super League decided a 6 Team Finals format wasn't enough...

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...reth-Thomas-new-Rugby-film-role-research.html

Also - he's not 35... he's 3 days short of his 37th birthday! Plus he's signed on for another season. He'll retire at 38.

Status
Not open for further replies.