2009 and Ben Barba - Where does he fit in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Professional Niff Nuff.

Barba did not have a STUNNING match tonight by any stretch.

When fit, Matt Utai is one of the first players picked. Besides, Kevie Moree loves the bloke.

Maybe so, he didnt have a stunning game, but what he did was encouraging. If this is his so-so then his best (which may be years off) could be very good. He only lacks experience, which was evident with that kick on the 1st when we were on thier line. I dont want him to stop trying things, but it was unnecessary on such an early tackle . We werent out of the game at that stage. Nobody got to his kcik because nobody on our side expected the kick on the 1st to happen.

It could also be him trying too hard because of the expectation on him and the pressure trying to cement a spot himself.

Barba could be anything. May be our next star. It will be all about injury as he obviously has the natural ability to play well. We will find somewhere to shove him in.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Barba gotta be in the starting 13 next year. Either at 5/8 or Fullback

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben Barba had a stunning match tonight, he's showed how dangerous he can be in attack, and should definitely see the 2009 side.

However the problem is where.

The only thing I can think could be pushing Roberts into the centres, and slotting Barba in the halves with Kimmorley.

He's too small for winger and centre, and Ennis and Groom are covering hooker.

If thats the case, could 2009 look like this:

1. Patten
2. El Masri (we all know he won't go).3. Morris
4. Roberts
5. Idris ?
6. Barba
7. Kimmo
8. Hickey
9. Ennis
10. Hannant
11. Ryan
12. ???
13. Maitua
Goodwin on one wing

Idris pushed to the centres

Utai on the other wing

Roberts off the bench

kingdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
if he puts on 6 or 7 killos n finds some ticker putting his body in front of players id play him at 6 , i dnt see y roberts desrves to stay there he doesnt een look like a first geade playa atm

DOGGYDOGG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Maybe so, he didnt have a stunning game, but what he did was encouraging. If this is his so-so then his best (which may be years off) could be very good. He only lacks experience, which was evident with that kick on the 1st when we were on thier line. I dont want him to stop trying things, but it was unnecessary on such an early tackle . We werent out of the game at that stage.

It could also be him trying too hard because of the expectation on him and the pressure trying to cement a spot himself.

Barba could be anything. May be our next star. It will be all about injury as he obviously has the natural ability to play well. We will find somewhere to shove him in.
I agree with everything you just said. Once Ben matures as a footballer, puts on 15kg and learns to tackle he could be anything.

Unless Patten is ruled out he'll be our fullback next year. Barba is not big enough to defend in the line which means he won't play much FG.

bulldogs2010, get your little hand off it.

rotarted_rx7

Waterboy
Reaction score
is barba eligible for toyota cup next yr. i think he will be in and out of first grade next yr. he will only get better with experiance tho, so the more he plays the better he will get.

he is exciting to watch and like many have said needs to improve his defence before he plays in the halves. he is not a hooker.

next yr i think he should be a fullback. of course that depends on patten and if he ever plays again

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know if you all notticed, but after his first try, Barba started to pop up more in the attacking line and get involved.

His try tonight, and the helping hand in the second one will do him the world of confidence.

So we lost tonight, he should stand proud at the effort he put in.

Two games he's played in first grade, and tonights was a real test for him. A test he passed.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
dunno, bench, 5/8 at best, probably in and out of U20's/FG and off the bench or at fullback if patten gets injured

'gaz' phillips

Waterboy
Reaction score
barba this barba that get over it...*HAND OUT OF PANTS* please.... he is alright but fuk get realistic..... he lookd like any ol ordinary player out there.. wow ashley graham scored should i start pulling offf to highligh reels of him????

BALLY

Waterboy
Reaction score
barba deserves a shot at 5/8 next year.roberts has had enough chances as far as im concerned.does anyone actually think he has improved as a player the last couple of years???roberts has to come off the bench next year.can cover hooker,halves and centre.utility value only....

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
roberts was great at the start of the year..but has reverted to being a mistake prone, lost football player..he also has too many off-incidents to be a asset to our club..

holdsworth aint much better, but atleast he doesn't create problems that further tarnish the reputation of the 'dogs

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
barba this barba that get over it...*HAND OUT OF PANTS* please.... he is alright but fuk get realistic..... he lookd like any ol ordinary player out there.. wow ashley graham scored should i start pulling offf to highligh reels of him????
FFS.

1. It's his SECOND first grade game.

2. He ran RINGS (literally) around Ashley Graham. Ashley Graham also didn't go for a 50m trot TWICE in the game.

How many of these other players scored 27 thats right TWENTY SEVEN tries in Toyota Cup? Not many, if any.

He's a young guy and he's performed well for his first few games. How about giving some credit when credit is due.

If you are the type of fan the Bulldogs are playing for, is is any wonder they are playing so badly.

If you are inferring that those that enjoy Barbas style of play are ******s, then you best look at yourself first, and get your hand off it.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
he'll fit in my bed, what a gun

'gaz' phillips

Waterboy
Reaction score
FFS.

1. It's his SECOND first grade game.

2. He ran RINGS (literally) around Ashley Graham. Ashley Graham also didn't go for a 50m trot TWICE in the game.

How many of these other players scored 27 thats right TWENTY SEVEN tries in Toyota Cup? Not many, if any.

He's a young guy and he's performed well for his first few games. How about giving some credit when credit is due.

If you are the type of fan the Bulldogs are playing for, is is any wonder they are playing so badly.

If you are inferring that those that enjoy Barbas style of play are ******s, then you best look at yourself first, and get your hand off it.
mate i love the bulldogs and any player they choose i support fully. never said he was a bad player but the rubbish that gets thrown around on here no wonder they are playin badly the pressure they are under if they read this shiit. cause judging by 90% of it u would think he was god or sumthin.. btw yes 27 tries in under 20's but i dont know how much u can stress the underline of 20s. different game. different intensity. atrocious defence in that comp and u dont hav to be a genious to work that out.

houndmeister

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give people a break for getting a little excited. As dogs fans there hasn't been much to smile about lately.
Barba will get better. he does need to get more involved defensively i did notice him stand back a few times but remeber he is a kid and built like a kid Unlike people like Folau.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
As long as Barba is somewhere in the 17 Ill be happy.
Imagine if Moore doesnt put him in the side!!

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
pathetic post. If you cant see that he has something special you cant see much. Most players make there way to 1st grade through the lower grades like the toyota cup. Barba has scored 42 trys in his last 27 games there, ordinary player - LOL

Howsie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.Patten/Barba
2.El Masri/Nanai
3.Morris
4.Vicelich
5.Utai
6.Roberts
7.Kimmorely

S

Spraytan

Ben Barba had a stunning match tonight, he's showed how dangerous he can be in attack, and should definitely see the 2009 side.

However the problem is where.

The only thing I can think could be pushing Roberts into the centres, and slotting Barba in the halves with Kimmorley.

He's too small for winger and centre, and Ennis and Groom are covering hooker.

If thats the case, could 2009 look like this:

1. Patten
2. El Masri (we all know he won't go).
3. Morris
4. Roberts
5. Idris ?
6. Barba
7. Kimmo
8. Hickey
9. Ennis
10. Hannant
11. Ryan
12. ???
13. Maitua
The groupie bandwagoning has kicked off again with these sad dogs supporters who make the true ones embarrassed.
Why the fuk people lob morris on the right hand side when it is clear he is a left hand side player is realy beyond me.

Here is my niff nuff team anyway, bit of a mix of youth and experience
BTW you never know what suprise packet might turn up.
For all those choosing goodwin, I am not sure if he has signed yet, and if he has I bet most of you have never seen him play and are picking him because you all think he is fast.
Monkeys

1. Patten
2. El Masri
3. Idris
4. Morris
5. Utai
6. Barba
7. Kimmorley
8. Hickey
9. Ennis
10. Hannant
11. Ryan