Not open for further replies.

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21095538-2,00.html

Australian flag a 'gang colour'

EXCLUSIVE by Simon Benson and Kathy McCabe
January 22, 2007 12:16am

THE Australian flag has been banned from this year's Big Day Out in Sydney after organisers branded it a "gang colour" and symbol of hate.
Organisers of the Aussie rock festival at Homebush will confiscate any flag or bandana bearing the national symbol at the gate.
Labelling Sydney a hot bed of racism, producers of the Sydney Showground event said it will be the only city in the nationwide event to be subject to the draconian action.
Promoters have already moved the event from the traditional Australia Day gig to a day earlier to avoid nationalistic overtones.
Spooked by last year's event, which came only weeks after the Cronulla riots, organisers will outlaw flags being brandished as a "gang colour".
Prime Minister John Howard said the Big Day Out should be cancelled unless organisers reversed their decision to ban the flag. Big Day Out patrons were intimidated and harassed at the Sydney event on Australia Day 2006 by bigoted fans brandishing flags and demanding people pledge their allegiance.

Event producer Ken West said the use of flags last year after the Cronulla riots and recent clashes between Serb and Croatian fans at the Australian Open tennis had forced his hand.

"I didn't like the behaviour of last year and we have moved the event from Australia Day this year partly because of the way the flags were used," Mr West said.

"The Australian flag was being used as gang colours. It was racism disguised as patriotism and I'm not going to tolerate it.

"I am telling people not to bring flags - they are free to get them out at midnight on their way home when it is Australia Day."

Gangs use colours and symbols to distinguish them from rival groups.

Mr West added the ban was also in part trying to be respectful to the Aboriginal community, who view Australia Day as invasion day.

"This is about giving people the opportunity to think about it and what the flag means to them," he said.

Premier Morris Iemma reacted angrily to the ban, claiming the promotors should "reverse their decision immediately".

"If they pulled this on Independence Day in the US, imagine what would happen. It's just ridiculous," he said.

"It is a ridiculous decision and I never thought I'd see the day when a promoter would ask young Australian people to celebrate Australian artists but not identify with their national flag."

Mainstream headline act Jet have a black and white version of the flag as the backdrop for their set.

Frontman Nic Cester said they used this version to display their pride in being Australian.

"I can't tell anyone else what to do but we as a band are very proud to be Australian and we don't want to feel we are not allowed to feel proud because of the disgusting actions of people who don't represent Australia, in my mind," he said.

The ban will be announced on the Big Day Out website this week.

Security staff will not search bags specifically but will be told to stop people from wearing a flag or Australian bandana.

The Big Day Out will be the first event ever to ban the national symbol.

Your Mum

Jorgie
Reaction score
last year everyone was covered in aussie gear and flags and it was an awesome day out! Everyone there was using the big day out as an opporunity to show what it's really like to be young and australian and to show that the riots were a one off.

I think i might wear an australian bikini and see if they try and confiscate that.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
JJJ have had some strange theories over the years but this one takes the cake,its a sad day when the Aussie flag is banned because it may be consindered offensive to some,if some ethnics dont like it they should stay home Australia day,the flag should fly high.

Mac

lol finch
Reaction score
Flag wasnt banned, just discouraged. With what the guys at cronulla did with them a while back, I dont blame the organisers for hesitating.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
I think it's a joke, you would not see that happen in another country! I dont think a flag is going to create violence, bring colour to the spectacle. If you're offended by the Australian flag, pack your bags and move to another country.

KENNY-DOWALL

The Kiwi Xpress
Reaction score
Now there is articles saying that they should ban the whole event together and not the flag.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
It's an absolute joke Soliola. When does political correctness end?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I urge anyone going to the Big Day Out to take heaps of big Aussie flags,hand some out and jump up and down at the front gate waving thier flags and scream Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Just Me

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Xeno - this is absolute bollocks.

Drummer_boy05

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a Person of Lebanese background, living in Cronulla i do see some 'Redneck' looking characters decked out in the Aussie flag a fair bit, and wonder if they are just being patriotic or pure gangster style racist? Out to promote intolerance ?
I mentioned in another thread that yesterday i actually approached a few while on the way back from the beach to the car (With a few of my boys around the corner incase sh1t hit the fan)...
They were hanging around their decked out car listening to their rock music...

They were really nice ay. Not even from the Shire tho lol... They Bought the flags from a Greek shop in Caringbah (locals would know on Port Hacking rd), and were just proud to be Aussie...
-Aparently theyve been questioned a few times before and other Anglosaxons have abused them for what they saw as them being inflamatory...

This is why i can UNDERSTAND what the promoters are worried about, as there are alot of young troublemakers that will use the flag as means for violence and segregation... However that is like taking Santa out of Christmas! Its Australia DAY ffs!!!
Why should the minority wreck it for the majority... As Bulldog Supporters we should all sympathise with that...

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
I just say beef up security if it's a issue. As long there is no croatian or serb flags flying around, i reckon it should be sweet.

Toey .H.C.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
John Howard has stepped in and said aussie flags won't be banned his making sure of it

Nash

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I guess it always depends on the context the flag is used in.

½

friend of stevie j
Reaction score
dont get angry at the organizers they r just doing they job, the real scowndrels are the cronulla locals who made the flag a symbol of redneck pide in astralia. and lebornese ppl also have to share the blame becase if they did'nt pick fights at the beach none of this wouldv'e happend in the first place

Your Mum

Jorgie
Reaction score
I urge anyone going to the Big Day Out to take heaps of big Aussie flags,hand some out and jump up and down at the front gate waving thier flags and scream Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

Thats what i was planning to do, but decided it may icnrease the chances of the cops putting the dogs on me... and i cant risk that :o

Status
Not open for further replies.