2024 Round 0 - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Tbh, never heard of an islander being upset at another islander for using a slur. We are racist to one another all the time.

Mam is being a clown for being in tears for that. Doubt he follows through. A Polynesian using a ‘slur’ against a Melanesian is not the same as if someone else said it
Could his reaction be genuine, absolutely it could but I think he's blowing it out of proportion.

I've been called many things that people would deem racial and may times with malice and I can count in single digits the amount of times I've been deeply offended and not once have I reacted like he has - maybe I've got thicker skin than he does.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Could his reaction be genuine, absolutely it could but I think he's blowing it out of proportion.

I've been called many things that people would deem racial and may times with malice and I can count in single digits the amount of times I've been deeply offended and not once have I reacted like he has - maybe I've got thicker skin than he does.
I dont get it all. An islander calling another islander a monkey is not racist. These terms are thrown around amongst family snd our own people all the time. Is it still racist if Hammer said it?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fuck racism! and it’s unacceptable for sure but fuck me, if he was “in tears” over being called a name then what the fuck has the world come too?

Call me whatever you want and I may not like it, may even want to fight you over it… but cry about it?
Fucking soft. I wouldn’t let my kids see me be so fucking weak
Look not a nice thing but I have been called far worse by primary school kids at work. At the end of the day they are just words, not going to give you brain damage or break a leg.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont get it all. An islander calling another islander a monkey is not racist. These terms are thrown around amongst family snd our own people all the time. Is it still racist if Hammer said it?
it’s like me calling other leb’s stupid things, I’ve done it many times and if it’s slung my way I could care less.

Doubt he’d take offence especially if he knows him well/likes him. Broncos being shit yesterday is another reason why the media is all over it, just a way to deflect.

If anything he’s a rooster and it will be swept under the rug and for once that’s what needs to happen if they don’t want this going bigger than it is already.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mam is indigenous, he is of "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent from Far North Queensland (Kuku Yalanji)", he isn't Pacific Islander. It is all about context. Comments "of a racial nature" are a big no no these days in professional sport, and have been for a while. Remember the fall out from crowd comments directed at Naden during the Warriors Penrith game in 2020? Leniu was part of the club at the time, so he really has no excuse for not being aware of this.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mam is indigenous, he is of "Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent from Far North Queensland (Kuku Yalanji)", he isn't Pacific Islander. It is all about context. Comments "of a racial nature" are a big no no these days in professional sport, and have been for a while. Remember the fall out from crowd comments directed at Naden during the Warriors Penrith game in 2020? Leniu was part of the club at the time, so he really has no excuse for not being aware of this.
No offence bro but TSI are pasefika people. Melanesian like PNG and Fiji. It is not racist at all. Its like saying rappers are racist for using N word

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No offence bro but TSI are pasefika people. Melanesian like PNG and Fiji. It is not racist at all. Its like saying rappers are racist for using N word
How do you explain that Ezra Mam made an official complaint "of a racial nature", if it isn't racist at all?

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How do you explain that Ezra Mam made an official complaint "of a racial nature", if it isn't racist at all?
Not sure bro. These terms are thrown around amongst ourselves all the time. It makes no sense the way Mam is acting. A Samoan calling a TSI a monkey is not racist at all.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not sure bro. These terms are thrown around amongst ourselves all the time. It makes no sense the way Mam is acting. A Samoan calling a TSI a monkey is not racist at all.
It is probably appropriate to take Mam on his word for the time being. As humans we aren't always great at reading people we know well, let alone people we don't know at all. Reports are he was genuinely upset. If you or I were genuinely upset over something, we wouldn't want people dismissing it in some way.

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regarding Mam drama. I think it has to be dealt with the context. Yes he’s Pacific Islander and Mam is indigenous, blah blah blah… but they have zero friendship and probably don’t get along. I don’t think Spencer meant it in that way when he called him a monkey and I believe that, however due to the frosty relationship Ezra has taken it that way and that’s understandable and he has a right to be offended. You can’t tell someone that they aren’t offended. What has made it worse was Spencer’s post game interview, it was completely idiotic of the roosters to allow him to do a post game interview and just make matters worse. Now every Tom, Dick and Harry in other clubs are upset at his response in that interview. Spencer’s always been a dumbass anyway, that’s Penrith players for ya, it’s fitting he plays for Roosters now.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Regarding Mam drama. I think it has to be dealt with the context. Yes he’s Pacific Islander and Mam is indigenous, blah blah blah… but they have zero friendship and probably don’t get along. I don’t think Spencer meant it in that way when he called him a monkey and I believe that, however due to the frosty relationship Ezra has taken it that way and that’s understandable and he has a right to be offended. You can’t tell someone that they aren’t offended. What has made it worse was Spencer’s post game interview, it was completely idiotic of the roosters to allow him to do a post game interview and just make matters worse. Now every Tom, Dick and Harry in other clubs are upset at his response in that interview. Spencer’s always been a dumbass anyway, that’s Penrith players for ya, it’s fitting he plays for Roosters now.
Very silly from the chooks to allow him to make comment, I agree. I think he’s in for a long stint on sideline.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im not sure where you draw the line on racism though. The experience of a Samoan and TSi is similar in terms of prejudice. This is like saying a greek cant call an italian a wog

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Im not sure where you draw the line on racism though. The experience of a Samoan and TSi is similar in terms of prejudice. This is like saying a greek cant call an italian a wog
It’s bit confusing hey bro. If a word is derogatory though to an individual, it shouldn’t really matter who says it imo. You’re either offended by the word or you’re not. It’s not about proving intent, as the word is offensive no matter what. I could of it completely wrong though

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I agree with what you're saying. Though the reason the NRL is going to give him a big penalty is for him saying it in LV when they're trying to get a good rep there. It was the wrong time & place to say something like that. If it happened in round 2 back in Sydney it wouldn't have gotten so big.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I feel like i live in another world. How the fck is a Samoan accused of being racist to another Pasefika person by using the term monkey. He did not say black anything. It is not racist. Melanesian and Polynesian have so many cultural, language and custom similarities that it can be argued that we are the same race. The world has gone fkn mad

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s bit confusing hey bro. If a word is derogatory though to an individual, it shouldn’t really matter who says it imo. You’re either offended by the word or you’re not. It’s not about proving intent, as the word is offensive no matter what. I could of it completely wrong though
But in reality. The impact of these types of words is different when said by a white person because of colonialism, stolen generation, slavery, blackbirding etc. i kbiw its a double standard but that's how it is…or at least i thought