2024 Bulldogs Finals Bound!?

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not a bad assessment but what it misses out on is in order for a team to improve their ladder position they must beat a team/teams that they didn't beat last season. In turn that means those teams must end up with lower ladder positions. For every team/teams that move up the same number of teams must move down.

So who is it that is going to move down?

The first place I look is which clubs have a net loss in player quality;

#1 for me is the Broncos, they have lost Flegler, Farnworth and Capewell and gained Baker (Chooks) and Hunt (StGeorge). That's a big net loss.

#2 is Cronulla, they have lost Moylan, Tracey and Graham and gained Burns (StGeorge).

# 3 is Manly, they have lost Keppie, SFainu, Harper, Tuilagi and Weekes and gained Brooks, TTalau, James, JPaulo, Waddell and BHodgson.

#4 is Melbourne they have lost Sims, Nikorima, Eisenhuth and Jennings and gained no one that I know of. I have only ranked them 4th because they have habit of bringing in players for their SE Qld feeder clubs that are NRL ready.

#5 is Newcastle they have lost Mann, Clune, Young, Fitzgibbon, SSasagi, Miller, BHodgson, Aukafolau, HHunt, JJohns and gained Pryce, Pearce-Paul, Cogger, TJenkins, JCartwright.

#6 is Penrith, they have lost Crichton, Salmon, Leniu, Cogger, TJenkins, CSmith and Blacker and gained Laurie, Schneider and Alamoti. I have only ranked them 6th because they have a plethora of players from their lower levels that are NRL ready.

#7 is the Chooks, they have lost Baker, Paulo, Momirovski, Hutchison, Turpin, Allan and NBrown and gained Leniu and DYoung.

The not much has happened teams, quality wise, StGeorge, Tigers, Titans, Cowboys, Parramatta, Warriors, Souffs and Parramatta. Sure they have gained and lost players but in my view haven't moved up or down much in overall squad quality.

Then the teams that have gains;
A clear #1 for me is us with Xerri, Crichton, Salmon, Taaffe, Curran, Mann, Turpin, Hutchison, Faamausili and Tracey.
#2 is Dolphins, adding Farnworth, Flegler and Averillo.

What that means to the ladder will play out as the season progresses.

Always a Bulldog
I buy into these facts, you didn't list EVERY team and there's many factors that come at play to succeed and we'd be a lil biased but it's a solid point.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interestingly enough we dont have anyone that even remotely resembles an Alpha forward with Thompson and TPJ gone (not they they were Alphas..). So maybe one of our guys like King , Knight or Curran will see an opportunity to step up? There is a lot more gritty 1st grade experience in some of the players we have recruited, but I just wish we could sign 1 decent middle to add to it.. I think we will be somewhere between 8-10th.
I think that helps us (no big names) less ego…if we get the defence right and we just graduate by that I mean little improvements….last year was a roller coaster from week to week…I think the pack we have will improve.

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As plenty have already said our middle forwards on paper are very weak. King is decent, nothing more. Curran is an inexperienced starting lock and I doubt is much of a ball player. Sutton and Mariners stars are fading. Knight had flatlined as a good NSW Cup prop at Souths. That leaved youngsters Hughes and Patolo, neither of whom are established NRL players and both have a history with serious injury. I predict a finish between 14th and 10th.
I think the middle stocks are better than suggested. Yes, a seasoned front rower would be a good addition but none available. The squad as whole has improved. Add Edwards to the list.
Prediction - 8th to 10th.

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think that helps us (no big names) less ego…if we get the defence right and we just graduate by that I mean little improvements….last year was a roller coaster from week to week…I think the pack we have will improve.
As bad as everyone’s saying our forwards are going to be… It’s probably gonna be better than last year if you consider:

1. Thompson was never on the field and taking up a fair bit of the cap.

2. Though TPJ had his moments for every one good thing he did he’d make two costly errors.

3. Pele was basically a wasted top 30 spot and when he did play (which was rarely) he was only good for 15 minutes.

4. Jayden Okonbur was playing second row…

So even though it’s not looking great at least we’ve got players that aren’t as injury prone (like Thompson) and don’t have as many errors in them (like TPJ and Pele) and at least have more than 5 games experience playing in the forwards unlike J-Okonbur…

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I buy into these facts, you didn't list EVERY team and there's many factors that come at play to succeed and we'd be a lil biased but it's a solid point.
What teams did I miss?

Always a Bulldog

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I was watching a 1999 game between Storm and Magpies and it blew my mind how similar the Storm were stylistically to how they operate today…. Basically maintained a simple formula as we know it today focussed on their ruck speed (super quick) Vs slowing down the opposition ruck (and this was before the wrestle came in) adding that upon returning the ball, the fullback would link up with the wingers and gain 15-20m cheaply (since defenders were honing in on the fullback, there was ample space out wide)…. I can’t see how this formula wouldn’t work in any era?

Ruck speed is our key, the quicker we can play the ball, the more this nullifies our lack thereof middles (our smaller middles should gain decent yardage with defenders backpedaling)… I don’t know how much work goes into cultivating a sense of urgency when tackled, but the Storm do it best and have done for over 20+ years consistently. We seem to do it in patches, the last few years, the first 10/15mins and then it goes back to being sluggish.

Hopefully with a rigorous pre-season, boys are fully fit and bring the energy because playing fast and using our speed is our only hope of mixing it with the big guns.
True. But going back many many years, Bulldog teams with great ruck speed seem to attract the attention of the men with the whistle. Particularly at away games with the home crowd continually on his case.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want us to do well but I can’t see us finishing ahead of the Titans. They’ll improve on last season unless something goes terribly wrong.
A leopard can't change its spots. I expect a lot of shitball oops desball from titans sooner or later.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As bad as everyone’s saying our forwards are going to be… It’s probably gonna be better than last year if you consider:

1. Thompson was never on the field and taking up a fair bit of the cap.

2. Though TPJ had his moments for every one good thing he did he’d make two costly errors.

3. Pele was basically a wasted top 30 spot and when he did play (which was rarely) he was only good for 15 minutes.

4. Jayden Okonbur was playing second row…

So even though it’s not looking great at least we’ve got players that aren’t as injury prone (like Thompson) and don’t have as many errors in them (like TPJ and Pele) and at least have more than 5 games experience playing in the forwards unlike J-Okonbur…
All those 4 players mentioned are defensive liabilities. If you thought Brenko Lee was shocking with arm grabbing those guys are right up there. All had woeful contact and technique. Arm grabbers and you could go through countless games where they went into turnstile mode.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I probably just meant the teams you didn't detail out as much as the 7 in the first list.
I listed in detail the 7 teams that I believe have notably lost, in terms of player quality, more than they have gained. I also listed in detail the 2 teams that I believe have noticeably gained in player quality. The 8 teams that I named, but didn’t list their player movements, I believe have stayed pretty much the same. Not much in the way of net gains or losses.

Obviously this was nothing more than my opinion based on my observations. Plus it’s based on last season and things change a lot when players move teams and have a full preseason with their new coaches and team mates.

Always a Bulldog

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think we will finish around the middle maybe 10th. Its a bit of an unknown quantity as its a new team setup. Different to what we had last year and I would say closer to what CC needs. Problems from last year have been identified and a lot of the rot has been cut out and replaced by experience and hopefully more fitter and diciplined being CC's second year.

I am not too worried that we have not got a top grade mid because hopefully we have ample forwards that will give 100%. Bulldogs have performed great with lesser know forwards and they all have a chance to cement a NRL place.

Defense was our weakness so I would imagine thats a priority especially that CC prides himself on defence. I know the team is being worked hard, drilling dicipline in and building fitness so I would expect an improvement in defence. Our backs are much better than last year. Most important we have a bunch of players who want to be Bulldogs so hopefully they will play like Bulldogs and have some pride.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
15th. Our forwards will get steamrolled again. Our halves aren't creative enough. We'll let in less points but it won't win us games we'll just have closer scorelines. Only teams worse than us again are Tigers and Dragons. In 2025 Tigers are likely better than us. Unless Gus can do his job and sign us 2 -3 decent props we're not improving anytime soon. Seve is the only decent prop coming through our lower grades. Hughes, King and Patolo aren't tough enough. Knight is average.
So you don’t believe that an attacking backline of Crichton, JAC, Xerri, Kikau, Burton, Sexton, Preston, Tracey and Kiraz won't score more points than last year’s backline containing Perham, Alamoti, Flanagan and Averillo, interesting.

The way I see it there’s plenty enough speed, evasiveness and power in this year’s backline to rack up plenty of points no matter where on the field the attack starts.

Always a Bulldog

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope I’m wrong but I think around 10-12 is where we sit. We have the worst middle rotation in the NRL and this will make it difficult to contain teams and get into good field position.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, and it will simply be two up and then just keep spreading the ball. We might have the worst props but we have speed to burn out wide and that will be our strength. We are capable of putting 30 points on teams with our backline, but can we stop 30 is the question?
Something like that..
But it wouldn't surprise me to see our forwards use only in attack from a play restart only.

Fromma kick return, it will 5 backs running it up. We saw some of this last year already, so it's not much if a change.

Forwards will be used as defensive middles and will only cart up the ball off a penalty, 6-again or possibly scrum..

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
To ge to the 8th-12th position mark - which in my eyes is saying being competitive again, I believe these things need to happen:
1. Our forwards remain injury free.
2. Sam Hughes has a breakout year - as Gus hinted at.
3. We do a swap deal for another decent prop.

I think all 3 are a realistic chance but at the same time I understand that this may not happen and therefore we may still finish lower.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you don’t believe that an attacking backline of Crichton, JAC, Xerri, Kikau, Burton, Sexton, Preston, Tracey and Kiraz won't score more points than last year’s backline containing Perham, Alamoti, Flanagan and Averillo, interesting.

The way I see it there’s plenty enough speed, evasiveness and power in this year’s backline to rack up plenty of points no matter where on the field the attack starts.

Always a Bulldog
Mate that's like looking at the NSW origin team of Teddy, JAC, Turbo, Latrell, Tupou, Luai, Cleary and suggesting there's plenty of points there.

There can be.... But it depends on who the opposition is and how the game gets played.

Our backline looks fine on paper. Let's hope it isn't paper you wipe your ass with though aye?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I would expect top see major improvement from players like Burton, Mahony etc, and while we are light in the pack we have some awesome talent in our backs and edges. we can't make the eight IMO but if we get a better run with injuries I think we will compete. If we finish 9\10 th I will celebrate like we won the GF. We lost a lot of games last year because of the attitude of some real shit cahunts in our squad, The majority of them are are gone and have been replaced with players that aren't necessarily more talented but will have a genuine dig. Bring it on.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate that's like looking at the NSW origin team of Teddy, JAC, Turbo, Latrell, Tupou, Luai, Cleary and suggesting there's plenty of points there.

There can be.... But it depends on who the opposition is and how the game gets played.

Our backline looks fine on paper. Let's hope it isn't paper you wipe your ass with though aye?
The comparison was last year's backline attack versus this year's, against the same opposition, not against a SOO team.

You think Crichton only "looks fine on paper", interesting.
You think Kikau and Preston only "look fine on paper", interesting.

Of course there is always the risk of injury, but unlike last year we have some decent backups in all backline positions, so we won't have to rely on players with only at best single digit NRL games.

Always a Bulldog