Opinion Pre Season Training

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The game has changed so much from the 80s it's so much more professional now.And you're right re footballers being replaced by athletes, it's why the general football IQ of players has dropped significantly. I was astonished this year to learn that a lot of players don't watch all the games, kind of shows their level of interest. Athletic prowess doesn't necessarily make you great at all sports . . .We saw the fastest man on the planet (Usain Bolt not the fox) fail miserably at soccer . . .
No doubt modern players are fitter and better athletes but skill levels have dropped significantly in past 20 odd years.
Props ball playing in the line, halves chip and chasing, instinctive eyes up footy playing what is in front of them has been replaced by structure, role players and retaining possession, mistake free footy.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No doubt modern players are fitter and better athletes but skill levels have dropped significantly in past 20 odd years.
Props ball playing in the line, halves chip and chasing, instinctive eyes up footy playing what is in front of them has been replaced by structure, role players and retaining possession, mistake free footy.
I love watching the games from the 80s,not just because we were good then,I loved how teams would throw the ball around more and play footy rather than just, 5 hit ups and kick to the corner and repeat

dogsday

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
I love watching the games from the 80s,not just because we were good then,I loved how teams would throw the ball around more and play footy rather than just, 5 hit ups and kick to the corner and repeat
60's & 70s when men were men playing for the love of playing the game, where they'd have a punch up & go to the pub after the game then go to work 5 days a week, not like the players of today all its about is $$$$$$$.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
60's & 70s when men were men playing for the love of playing the game, where they'd have a punch up & go to the pub after the game then go to work 5 days a week, not like the players of today all its about is $$$$$$$.
When the only ice bath in the dressing room had beer in it.

Last edited:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
80’s was pretty boring with the 5m rule
I think the 90’s was the peak
Of rugby league, early to mid 90’s

some coaches these days still encourage to play like that. Dez haslers boring style of footy almost made mestop watching even dogs games..

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
That is the most uneducated comment this year.
Being a player in the 80-90’s the skill level these days are far superior, not even in the same postcode.
The coaching we give them kids these days are 200% better then back in the day.
Players like the great Benny Elias could only pass one side, would he have adapted to today of course. But for a player who had to turn his back and pass to his bad side, his skill level was lower than a under15’s player in today game

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Being a player in the 80-90’s the skill level these days are far superior, not even in the same postcode.
Players like the great Benny Elias could only pass one side, would he have adapted to today of course. But for a player who had to turn his back and pass to his bad side, his skill level was lower than a under15’s player in today game
Full time professional players, aided by technology, science etc have enormous skill sets relative to the pre full time professional era - i would argue that in previous eras the gap between the highly skilled n less skilled was greater than it is now - today the difference is in the margins and the mind.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
80’s was pretty boring with the 5m rule
I think the 90’s was the peak
Of rugby league, early to mid 90’s

some coaches these days still encourage to play like that. Dez haslers boring style of footy almost made mestop watching even dogs games..
Yeah, but they were removing the brutality and thuggery by then, which I loved

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also Kiks been training with Leota,Fisher-Harris.

Curran with Shaun Johnson and others in Nz.

Xerri did a marathon and still doing sprint training with Fabri, those are the ones i have seen so far.
What about rfm?!

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Modern day players as highly paid full time professionals is a given they would be better coached than 40 years ago, doesn’t guarantee they are more skilful. Just because a player is adept at passing both sides doesn’t make him a skilled league player.
Give me Benny Elias, who could turn a game with one play, over the vast majority of the hookers playing today.
But everyone is “uneducated” if their opinion differs from the forums self appointed “oracle”.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Modern day players as highly paid full time professionals is a given they would be better coached than 40 years ago, doesn’t guarantee they are more skilful. Just because a player is adept at passing both sides doesn’t make him a skilled league player.
Give me Benny Elias, who could turn a game with one play, over the vast majority of the hookers playing today.
But everyone is “uneducated” if their opinion differs from the forums self appointed “oracle”.
Whatever you are drinking on Friday arvo you need to cut back on, Elias wouldn't last 20 minutes at the pace of today's game. Ask him.

Always a Bulldog