2024 starting 17 .... who's in your team?

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Crichton at fullback will be another Hopa.
Safe as a house good ball skills but not fast enough to back up players.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hutchinson would play better at 6 than Burton did this season. At least he is a busy player who would run at the opposition. Burton doesn't even try most games. Burton at centre would be better value for us.
Hutchison had one line break assist and two try assists last year..year before he had 3.. in his nrl career (75 games) he has 16 try assists. Burton had 16 in 2023.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
2024 is hopefully an experiment year. I think that’s how it should go considering we aren’t in a position roster wise and club wise to be competing deep into finals or even finals at all. I still think Burton should be learning the defensive structures and combinations out on the left edge at centre this pre season but that seems very unlikely. If he shows a similar year at 5/8 like this year then that surely ends the five-eight experiment for good. Will go into 2025 at centre. Crichton will be trialed at Fullback, if he succeeds than keep him there but if he doesn’t and he really struggles to have a good enough impact than I would be having a Burton and Crichton centre partnership going into 2025.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would suggest both players have the talent to be the best in a couple of positions at the club, that's not the the sole determining factor in what position they will be picked.

There's a fair case to say that Tommy Turbo would be the best centre at Manly considering his State of Origin success in the role but we won't be seeing him in that spot for the Sea Eagles.

Ben Hunt is the best hooker at the Dragons but he is also the best halfback.

The most important factor is where they will be of most benefit to the team.
Burton's best position is centre. He is best 5/8 at club. Best position is still centre.

Crichton best position is centre. He was signed to have a shot at fullback. It's debatable if a reserve grade fullback from Souths is better fullback than him.

Ben Hunt best position in club football is halfback. He was chased by Gould to only play halfback for us.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hutchison had one line break assist and two try assists last year..year before he had 3.. in his nrl career (75 games) he has 16 try assists. Burton had 16 in 2023.
Hutchinson played only 4 games in the halves all season & if you make all your decisions based on stats rather than actually watching them play then you're doing it wrong. Burton was the worst 6 in the NRL last season for anyone who played over 5 games in the 6 besides Schuster.

Also try assists isn't what determines who is better. You can get 4 try assists a game for 4 straight games & then 0 for the rest of the season & it would still show that you got 16 for the entire season or you can get the try assists when you're behind 40-0 & the other team has stopped trying. Stats lie.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hutchinson played only 4 games in the halves all season & if you make all your decisions based on stats rather than actually watching them play then you're doing it wrong. Burton was the worst 6 in the NRL last season for anyone who played over 5 games in the 6 besides Schuster.
Defensively he was horrible.. but I think he shows enough in attack that he can be a top halve.. he's certainly not there yet..

I actually don't mind Hutchison as a player.. he's solid but doesn't seem to have the x factor of Burton..

I'm interested to see Burton play this year with a bit more quality around him.. I just hope we have the forwards that can help lay the platform. Anyways time will tell.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Defensively he was horrible.. but I think he shows enough in attack that he can be a top halve.. he's certainly not there yet..

I actually don't mind Hutchison as a player.. he's solid but doesn't seem to have the x factor of Burton..

I'm interested to see Burton play this year with a bit more quality around him.. I just hope we have the forwards that can help lay the platform. Anyways time will tell.
What on earth did he show in attack that showed he could be a top half? He was literally horrible in the majority of the games. The lack of effort was very concerning.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton's strength is Burton's weakness the bomb. Burton forgets about his powerful running game and taking on the line because of the bomb. Burton's best kicks like the tries for Fox and Averillo were done with the run first kick second mentality. Burton is too obsessed with the bomb. Leave all the kicking to Sexton. Why Burton is so lethal at centre is that he doesn't think bomb just running like crazy.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What on earth did he show in attack that showed he could be a top half? He was literally horrible in the majority of the games. The lack of effort was very concerning.
Look I'm not going to bother trying to justify my opinion to you, because I don't think I'll make a difference. Clearly you don't rate him (as a 6), which is fine. I personally think he can be a very good 6. He will play 6 next year, and either my opinion or your opinion will change depending on his performances. I personally hope he kills it, because that's a good thing for our club.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Too early to call what the actual teamlist will be but this is what I would do:

1.Burton
2. Wilson
3. Xerri
4. Crichton
5. Kiraz
6. Hutchinson
7. Sexton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Knight (sigh)
11. Preston
12. Curran
13. Mann

14. Turpin
15. SST
16. Hughes/Patolo/Morrin
17. Kikau

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Wilson
2. Kiraz
3. Xerri
4. Crighton
5. Ado Carr
6. Burton
7. Sexton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Knight
11. Preston
12. Kikau
13. Curran

14. Toukiaho
15. Sam Hughes
16. Mann
17. Salmon
18. Patolo
19. Morrin
20. Hutchinson
21. Taafe

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 Critta
2 Fox
3 Xerri
4 Kiraz
5 Wilson
6 Burto
7 sexton
13 Curran
12 Kiks
11 Preston
10 King
9 Reed
8 SSK

14 Mann
15 Knight
16 Sutton
17 ?

If you start with Taafe and move critta to centre and kiraz back to the wing its a really small back 3 and they will contribute little in yardage. Cant have turpin and mann on the bench. Mann brings best utility value. We need 3 middles on the bench but the last spot is really up for grabs for mine. Could say the same with Sutton's spot. Our bench is going to kill us. We're also desperately short of 2nd rowers. Apart from kiks and preston who else have we got?
That’s not a bad team at all tbh. If they played to their potential they could compete for a finals berth. It could be one of the best backlines in the NRL assuming Xerri can reach his potential and Wilson improves with more games.

I’d have Hutch instead of man as bench utility and Salmon instead of Sutton, plus Faaumausili. I wish I could find a spot for Skelton, as he really could be a game breaker. Who knows he might improve enough to earn the spot over Wilson.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1.Taffe (played finals at fb, played fb in lower grade finals also). Best option outside of Critta

2.JAC (no explanation needed)

3.Critta (best position and would like to see him and fox on same side)

4. Hutchison (don’t think Xerri will be there round 1, hasn’t played in 4 years needs time)

5. Kiraz (best position is wing, strong carrier of ball on kick return and good in the air)

6. Burton (needs a big season)

7. Sexton (only halfback we have)

8. King (deserves to be there over anyone else)

9. Mahoney (needs to simplify his role this season)

10. Knight (lack of depth and need a bigger body to start with King)

11. Kikau (same side as Burton/critta/fox. Would offer strike power on the left)

12. Preston (no explanation needed)

13. Mann ( Link player)

14. Turpin (Reed shouldn’t play 80 imo can cover halves if injuries occur)

15. SST (should be used in stints to get back to NRL level, wouldn’t start him straight away until he proves he can handle it again)

16. Hughes (need some size and think he should be given a chance)

17. Curren (play middle rotation. Reason I didn’t start him is I think we need impact off bench and bench rotation looks stronger with him there than having Mann and Turpin on bench together.

Xerri, Salmon, Wilson, Morrin, Skelton start in reserves and offer options if things aren’t working after a few rounds or injuries occur

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Crichton, Skelton, Xerri, Kiraz, Wilson, Burton, Hutchison, King, Mahoney, Taumalolo, Kikau, Preston, Curran.

Mann, SST, Knight, IBS dog.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Look I'm not going to bother trying to justify my opinion to you, because I don't think I'll make a difference. Clearly you don't rate him (as a 6), which is fine. I personally think he can be a very good 6. He will play 6 next year, and either my opinion or your opinion will change depending on his performances. I personally hope he kills it, because that's a good thing for our club.
I hope every single player plays great in whatever role they are picked for. I want us to be winning GF.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Crichton, Skelton, Xerri, Kiraz, Wilson, Burton, Hutchison, King, Mahoney, Taumalolo, Kikau, Preston, Curran.

Mann, SST, Knight, IBS dog.
You've been bagging Crichton at 1 & Burton at 6 all year & yet you still pick them in those positions?

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Wtf are ppl picking Hutch at centre?!?! We have a million centres ffs. Why would we pick a fill in to play there?!
Xerri hasn’t played in 4 years
Kiraz better as a winger and probably better option than Wilson when both fit
Burton 6
Burns left
Crichton already picked
Who else is there? Not like Hutchison hasn’t played there before

Ellie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Too early to call what the actual teamlist will be but this is what I would do:

1.Burton
2. Wilson