Player swap: Eels audacious play for Josh Addo Carr

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Matterson is a good player but we don’t need a lock. We need Props. Saifiti would be a better get from a squad balance point of view. The fact Saifiti is doing everything he can do to remain in Newcastle says to me he isn’t the committed Bulldog we need.
I think most would do the same if their twin brother was staying put - if he were to join us, he’d be a good buy giving 100% - he’s no bludger. My tip is he’d want to prove Knights and O’brian wrong

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wingers are only as good as the players inside of them in attack..
Defensively they are only as good as their ability. He's not good at both. I'd rather a winger who makes the right calls Defensively and ability. Tries will ALWAYS be there if our spine is sorted out. Our successful years always had Wingers who weren't gifted with speed bar a few..El Masri, Halligan, Perrett....etc. Although I'd like to see JAC succeed with our squad...I'm not liking his vibes.
You are correct in not liking his vibes ... that post about Palestine last week could VERY easily be viewed as Fox agitating for a release, especially in light of other ongoing issues between himself and the club. Either that or he is stupid.

No doubt his speed is an X factor, but i agree with you that other areas of his game are poor. Ridiculous penalties, rushing out of the line on kick chases, not playing to the whistle, ordinary in yardage sets, suspect defensive reads. As a leader and international player, he should be much better in the basics. CC would have been livid with some of his efforts/decisions last season ... i was.

It is preferable for wingers to have a high footy IQ like the players you mention ... speed alone is not enough over the course of the season.

I hope we keep him for that mentioned X factor, knowing he will score the moment he gets clear is great, but we also have some talented young outside backs/wingers in Kiraz, Wilson, Skelton, Xerri, Mazzone, Gabriel .... money might be better spent elsewhere?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oh what? Josh on the outter????? No way!!!
Hahaha you called it last week bro … I’ll vouch for you. You said sarcastically will JAC be at Belmore nest season and people went ape shit at you.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Matto has played prop plenty of times.
Eels basically play with 3 props on the field at all times. Yes he plays middle forward off the bench when defenses are tired. His best footy is on the edge though.

Also I wouldn’t want a player at our club that would rather miss 3 games than pay a 4K fine.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
You are correct in not liking his vibes ... that post about Palestine last week could VERY easily be viewed as Fox agitating for a release, especially in light of other ongoing issues between himself and the club. Either that or he is stupid.

No doubt his speed is an X factor, but i agree with you that other areas of his game are poor. Ridiculous penalties, rushing out of the line on kick chases, not playing to the whistle, ordinary in yardage sets, suspect defensive reads. As a leader and international player, he should be much better in the basics. CC would have been livid with some of his efforts/decisions last season ... i was.
I doubt that he was agitating for a release. I think the post was due to his manager being Palestinian. He was also very apologetic.
I think Foxx is massively overrated. However he could be used as a bargaining chip to get someone like Weirimu Greig over.
Although if that doesn’t happen I wouldn’t want to release him next year as we are so under the cap it isn’t funny. It’ll create more problems than it solves. 2025 is different.
One thing I wouldn’t do is re sign him, at least beyond year instalments because once his speed goes he is finished. Like Hoppa without the footy IQ.

I watched with very much of an interest when Roger Fabri said the 3 fastest players in the NRL was Saab, Young and Xerri. Fabri very much knows his craft and has spoken highly of Foxx before so something makes me think he believes the decline has started in his speed.
My thoughts are it’s his age (turning 29 nek year) and the big leg injury he got this year.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Eels basically play with 3 props on the field at all times. Yes he plays middle forward off the bench when defenses are tired. His best footy is on the edge though.

Also I wouldn’t want a player at our club that would rather miss 3 games than pay a 4K fine.
Should never have been fined in the first place. He walks into our side and immediately improves it, much better than signing shitters like SST, Mann, Turpin and whoever else we're signing. We've missed every half decent option that has come up on the market, I don't think we're in a positioning to be passing this up.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe Mattersin is sick of the egos of Moses & Gutho. Wanted a break from them and took the suspension

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Should never have been fined in the first place. He walks into our side and immediately improves it, much better than signing shitters like SST, Mann, Turpin and whoever else we're signing. We've missed every half decent option that has come up on the market, I don't think we're in a positioning to be passing this up.
Whether he should've been fined or not is irrelevant. He did get fined/suspended & chose to take the selfish route. He's always been just after money. Left Tigers after 1 season when still under contract. No thanks.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe Mattersin is sick of the egos of Moses & Gutho. Wanted a break from them and took the suspension
I doubt Matterson is the one masterminding this swap Uleh. If it is on that is.
And signing Matterson no longer makes sense with Curran’s signing. We shouldn’t have rushed into that one for reasons like this.
As it stands we have a back row of Kikau, Preston’s, Curran and RFM, Topine (question mark I know) and Sutton backing up. Even Semarani if rumours of him being in 30 are true.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt that he was agitating for a release. I think the post was due to his manager being Palestinian. He was also very apologetic.
I think Foxx is massively overrated. However he could be used as a bargaining chip to get someone like Weirimu Greig over.
Although if that doesn’t happen I wouldn’t want to release him next year as we are so under the cap it isn’t funny. It’ll create more problems than it solves. 2025 is different.
One thing I wouldn’t do is re sign him, at least beyond year instalments because once his speed goes he is finished. Like Hoppa without the footy IQ.

I watched with very much of an interest when Roger Fabri said the 3 fastest players in the NRL was Saab, Young and Xerri. Fabri very much knows his craft and has spoken highly of Foxx before so something makes me think he believes the decline has started in his speed.
My thoughts are it’s his age (turning 29 nek year) and the big leg injury he got this year.
Like i said if he wasn't agitating, he is stupid, cause there is tension between himself and the club.

@Malla is on the money.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
The signing I think we missed out on is Smithies. I didn’t know how much of a tackle machine he was. Would have relieved pressure in the middle

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
In saying matto
Playing a 3rd prop role… easy to do so behind Paulo and rcg…. Even hopgood