Gus on 7 News - 8-9 signings in coming weeks

Joelmcevoy2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We do have them i reckon we will go better next year it is kikau fox xerri crichton and luai if he signs kiraz wat a team patients is the key to success one thing i know about gus and ciradio 2 of the smartest brain in the nrl the godfather and the appretice

Last edited:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You’ve said some really out there things but to suggest that the RLPA or any associations supporting players/ workers would agree/allow an effective wage freeze for 5 years is ridiculous. What about the players retiring during that time? Do their managers try and get overs for them before the wage freeze starts? And young players get told don’t worry your salary will double in 5 years take unders now? That would be an absolute mess.
Agree, RLPA would never approve any wage freeze.

The salary cap is so broken though.

Players should be able to earn whatever someone is willing to pay them.

It needs someone (smarter than me) to come up with adding a value on every single player. Players can earn whatever they want but clubs are restricted to a value cap that they can use.

This would eventually work out a true value for what players are worth. Without any need to audit or manage players salaries.

Each players ‘value’ would be determined at the time of signing. So if a young player signed a 5 year deal and then become a rep player. There ‘value’wouldn’t be increased until their next contract. Also a discount to stay at their current club could apply.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

It needs someone (smarter than me) to come up with adding a value on every single player. Players can earn whatever they want but clubs are restricted to a value cap that they can use.

This would eventually work out a true value for what players are worth. Without any need to audit or manage players salaries.

Each players ‘value’ would be determined at the time of signing. So if a young player signed a 5 year deal and then become a rep player. There ‘value’wouldn’t be increased until their next contract. Also a discount to stay at their current club could apply.
Who is going to "work out the true value"? The NRL, would you really trust them?

Regardless or who does it it would be rather complicated. For a start some players are "worth" more to one club than they are to another club. The position a player plays in also is a factor in what they are "worth". A simple example, a quality winger would be "worth" more to a club that has 2 third rate wingers, than the same player would be "worth" to a club that already has 1 quality winger and a decent other winger. Ditto for a club that has 2 left wingers a right winger would be worth more to them than to a club that already has 2 right wingers.

There is only one true valuation of what a player is "worth" and that is how much a club will pay them, any club.

Always a Bulldog

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

If you look at the clubs which have been down the bottom of the ladder the last few years I don’t think it’s due to salary cap being the main reason. Broken junior pathways / lack of nurturing talent and junior recruitment has probably been the main reason. Rugby league clubs are a big business now and if you can offer players TPs to retain them that is good business IMO. It doesn’t have to be TPs it could be a job after football etc.

I don’t mind the long serving player allowance also as it rewards loyalty. If anyone should complain about salary cap being unfair it should be Penrith they lose 2-3 good quality players every year but they are still 3 time premiers.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If you look at the clubs which have been down the bottom of the ladder the last few years I don’t think it’s due to salary cap being the main reason. Broken junior pathways / lack of nurturing talent and junior recruitment has probably been the main reason. Rugby league clubs are a big business now and if you can offer players TPs to retain them that is good business IMO. It doesn’t have to be TPs it could be a job after football etc.
Disastrous, fractured front offices/admin can't be ignored in the case of Tigers and St George.

Always a Bulldog

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Disastrous, fractured front offices/admin can't be ignored in the case of Tigers and St George.

Always a Bulldog
Exactly both clubs have plenty of junior talent but have the front office/ admin all sorts of messed up.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly both clubs have plenty of junior talent but have the front office/ admin all messed up.
I don’t think ‘messed up’ does it justice personally. It’s more like war between the factions in both boardrooms and as they say fish rots from the head. Some of these guys make politicians look like altar boys :-).

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t think ‘messed up’ does it justice personally. It’s more like war between the factions in both boardrooms and as they say fish rots from the head. Some of these guys make politicians look like altar boys :-).
Lazy response from myself :tearsofjoy: west tigers are a self destructing time bomb… and Steelers have such a strong junior competition they should have a production line similar to Penrith. Greed and ego cruel most clubs as we have seen in our own backyard at times.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who is going to "work out the true value"? The NRL, would you really trust them?

Regardless or who does it it would be rather complicated. For a start some players are "worth" more to one club than they are to another club. The position a player plays in also is a factor in what they are "worth". A simple example, a quality winger would be "worth" more to a club that has 2 third rate wingers, than the same player would be "worth" to a club that already has 1 quality winger and a decent other winger. Ditto for a club that has 2 left wingers a right winger would be worth more to them than to a club that already has 2 right wingers.

There is only one true valuation of what a player is "worth" and that is how much a club will pay them, any club.

Always a Bulldog
That is exactly true. The value of a player to one club will be different to another club. This is where a more genuine spread of talent will be forced.

Without the need to penalise players whatever they can earn. It will be up to the clubs to manage their rosters with a transparent operation.

Brown paper bags which is still the biggest blight on the game. Will be gone. If clubs cannot fit certain players into their allotments they cannot sign those players. It will be open and transparent to all.

I don’t know who you put in control of how the value is determined. However there are very smart people out there that can put in 10, 20, 30 categories and create an algorithm that would give a value.

This would also maintain a salary cap that is generated organically by supply and demand. They won’t allow a draft so this will do the same thing.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Still no notible signings in the bank

We need to start asking ourselves is Gus a rugby league mastermind or one of the great rugby league myths. Hes into his 3rd off season with us and now going into 2024 we are still without;
- a fullback
- a forward pack (that isnt filled with marshmalows)
- a halfback
- a coach

I cannot believe the state we are in
Dumb c.unt Gus can’t negotiate with anyone until November 1. Who the fuck do you want him to announce fucking simpleton. Anyone on the market without a club will be settled after nov . There may be a chance for a release or 2 but if we satisfied you our cap is maxed. Fuck you need to go play with high voltage you definitely are not a bright spark.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You’ve said some really out there things but to suggest that the RLPA or any associations supporting players/ workers would agree/allow an effective wage freeze for 5 years is ridiculous. What about the players retiring during that time? Do their managers try and get overs for them before the wage freeze starts? And young players get told don’t worry your salary will double in 5 years take unders now? That would be an absolute mess.
You're missing the point anyways. I gave an e.g. The fact is the salary cap doesn't do what it's intended to do and TPA's don't help either. On my e.g. a player on minimum wage is making at least 120k (goes up next year) which is way more than the average wage in Australia. In the last 20 years the average wage has only gone up by ~10k. Obviously players won't agree as it isn't in their best interest - money (it's in the games best interest tho) but they're all paid well (even the minimum wagers) and the decision should be above them. The RLPA isn't a saint either. Life after footy is a separate issue. There's no reason why players can't work like normal people. The NRL and clubs can do better there too.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Well common sense ain’t all that common as you’ve again proven. The media and the fans are irrelevant. How would you feel knowing your colleagues salary or he yours, particularly if either of you felt it wasn’t warranted? How does that bode for team harmony? It’s no-one’s business but the player and those fhey trust along with the club and fhe NRL for compliance.
I hope the nrl have access to players tax returns, tpa’s are such a grey area. I’m sure there are private sponsors linked to the clubs that are undisclosed to the nrl but declared in the tax return.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dumb c.unt Gus can’t negotiate with anyone until November 1. Who the fuck do you want him to announce fucking simpleton. Anyone on the market without a club will be settled after nov . There may be a chance for a release or 2 but if we satisfied you our cap is maxed. Fuck you need to go play with high voltage you definitely are not a bright spark.
U really are a disgusting peace of work ffs @Hacky McAxe do something pleade

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Lazy response from myself :tearsofjoy: west tigers are a self destructing time bomb… and Steelers have such a strong junior competition they should have a production line similar to Penrith. Greed and ego cruel most clubs as we have seen in our own backyard at times.
All good mate. The reason I speak with confidence on the matter is I know someone involved. I won’t name names as that’s not cool publicly, but even the small bits that have been divulged are eye-watering yet probably only skim the surface. Truly toxic.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You're missing the point anyways. I gave an e.g. The fact is the salary cap doesn't do what it's intended to do and TPA's don't help either. On my e.g. a player on minimum wage is making at least 120k (goes up next year) which is way more than the average wage in Australia. In the last 20 years the average way has only gone up by 10k. Obviously players won't agree as it isn't in their best interest - money (it's in the games best interest tho) but they're all paid well (even the minimum wagers) and the decision should be above them. The RLPA isn't a saint either. Life after footy is a separate issue. There's no reason why players can't work like normal people. The NRL and clubs can do better there too.
Your phrase "why players cant work like normal people" - great point. Barring injury, what a luxury even if its is a short period of time of getting paid - train full or part time, keep fit with professional trainers, fed, travel -even if finished with early 20s - you have a head start.

Unfortunately i think some of the clubs prep for after footy opportunities are poor - being a teacher aide/ learning support person in a school etc - are not going to set them up - get them into trades, degrees etc that have career potential not just a low paid job. Easier said than done but worthwhile