News DOGS SIGN MAROONS STAR’S SON

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Utai would spend all his free time in Parra gambling.
Gambling at Albion hotel.
Alwasy at the Vauxhall playing poker when poker was a big thing there
If he is half as good as his old man he will be a gun.

Not many tougher then Jason smith. Had a touch of class and always had time with the ball in hand. Looked like he was going slow motion but just picked defences apart. His final years looked like he was the grounds keeper. Hopped around on 1 leg probably had a few durries at half time but would just guide his team around the park. Happy to have his son in the fold :grinning:
And I'm sure by the time 98 semi final came about, we rubbed thier noses in it don't you love just a come back

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 of my favourite players.

Surprisingly only one of the brothers won a premiership with us - can you guess which one?????

It was Jason in 1995, which seems a little weird because looking back it was like Darren achieved more with us - probably because Darren had 2 separate stints with us if my memory serves me correctly.

Paul Doolans mirror

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Utai would spend all his free time in Parra gambling.
Gambling at Albion hotel.
Alwasy at the Vauxhall playing poker when poker was a big thing there
Had a stint at sefton strippers playing the pokies and smoking ciggies

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Jason Smith was favourite player in the 90's..

Well....him and Luke Goodwin....
Diud you know that Luke was related to Bryson who was with us in 2009? And we nearly recruited in 21.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I liked the two Queensland centres we had d smith and t Currie that was when round 88?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
While I hope the young fellow makes it and has similar success to his dad and uncle but there's a long road ahead. Plenty of second generation players go well in the lower grades but never make the jump to the NRL.

I can't think of a huge number right now but just kids from our greats in Daniel Mortimer & Dean Britt. Both made the NRL but didn't get far. I guess that the kids of NRL stars probably have the advantage of getting taught the value of hard work, and in some cases they'd get access to the best in coaching. But I struggle to think of a second generation player that's had a big career.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Had a stint at sefton strippers playing the pokies and smoking ciggies
Plus we used to play poker at Guildford pub on Wednesdays too.

True story...

Years back I was security manager at Merrylands Bowling Club, went outside the front for a smoke. I took a puff then all of a sudden someone jumped on my back, instant reaction was flip him over my back and on to the ground. Next thing I knew I was looking at Matty on his back. I got shit scared I hurt one of my favourite players but he was that pissed he was just laughing his arse off.

I brought him inside and made sure he was ok, then he waited for me soni can drop him off home. Anyways he was giving me directions and the prick ended up taking me to the Vauxhall Inn for a late night cash poker game lol

Cantabrian35

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
While I hope the young fellow makes it and has similar success to his dad and uncle but there's a long road ahead. Plenty of second generation players go well in the lower grades but never make the jump to the NRL.

I can't think of a huge number right now but just kids from our greats in Daniel Mortimer & Dean Britt. Both made the NRL but didn't get far. I guess that the kids of NRL stars probably have the advantage of getting taught the value of hard work, and in some cases they'd get access to the best in coaching. But I struggle to think of a second generation player that's had a big career.
The weight of expectation and constant scrutiny would be a real burden.

We've had a couple more (that I can think of) father and sons play at the Dogs such as the Hughes family and Bob and Darren McCarthy where they didn't match their dad's efforts and we had the sons of famous players from other clubs such as the Goodwyn boys and probably the most successful of the bunch in the Morris twins... and Will Hopoate too.

From all the father-sons that I can remember, it does seem like most struggle to reach the heights of their famous fathers but every now and then there are some with the talent and tenacity to match or even surpass them such as Craig Fitzgibbon, Ryan Hoffman and now, Nathan Cleary. It would be nice to add another Bullldog to the list.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plus we used to play poker at Guildford pub on Wednesdays too.

True story...

Years back I was security manager at Merrylands Bowling Club, went outside the front for a smoke. I took a puff then all of a sudden someone jumped on my back, instant reaction was flip him over my back and on to the ground. Next thing I knew I was looking at Matty on his back. I got shit scared I hurt one of my favourite players but he was that pissed he was just laughing his arse off.

I brought him inside and made sure he was ok, then he waited for me soni can drop him off home. Anyways he was giving me directions and the prick ended up taking me to the Vauxhall Inn for a late night cash poker game lol
True story
About 03 or 04 we stayed in same hotel as the players at Newcastle Rydges i think right on the water I went down to the wharf and there's Matty fishing we spoke for a bit he was saying he missed his Xbox so I smoked my ciggie watched him fish ... no poker no drinking no jumping on each backs just watched him fishing then we lost the next day..... true story

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
True story
About 03 or 04 we stayed in same hotel as the players at Newcastle Rydges i think right on the water I went down to the wharf and there's Matty fishing we spoke for a bit he was saying he missed his Xbox so I smoked my ciggie watched him fish ... no poker no drinking no jumping on each backs just watched him fishing then we lost the next day..... true story
I believe that, he is very down to earth and basically he is just one of the boys.

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
This is why we needed Gus so badly. We have just been relying on locals and it hasn’t worked. I’m hoping within the next 3 years we have a plethora of these kids bursting onto the scene

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
DOGS SIGN MAROONS STAR’S SON

Courier Mail
Peter Badel and Travis Meyn

The Canterbury Bulldogs have signed the son of former Canterbury and Queensland great Jason Smith as Phil Gould’s western corridor targeting starts to bear fruit.

Toowoomba young gun Bud Smith will join the Bulldogs at the end of the year after inking a contract to pursue his NRL dream.

Smith Jr is one of the first players to link with Canterbury through the NRL club’s affiliation with the Western Clydesdales.

His father played 62 games for Canterbury in the early 90s in a 209-game first grade career that also included stints at the Eels, Raiders and Cowboys.

Smith, Dally M lock of the year in 1999, also played 16 Origin games for the Maroons and five Tests for Australia.

Clydesdales coach Jason Alchin, a former Bulldogs player, said Bud was a promising player.

“He is an edge forward or lock,” he said.

“He is only 18 but playing in the under-21s every week. He has gone straight up to the Colts. He is a great young kid and prospect.

“Bailey Nash is another 18-year-old that’s been signed by Canberra. I’m upset we didn’t get him. He is a talent.

“Our best young kids are around 15 that will come through the Canterbury pathway. The older ones are already signed by NRL clubs.”

Gould pounced on the Clydesdales’ re-entry to Queensland’s top competition, striking up an agreement with the club in a rugby league rich region.

The Bulldogs have also signed promising Hostplus Cup centre Mileno Fineanganofo from the Clydesdales and are securing some of the best teenagers in the west.

“Mileno has signed for Canterbury and is going down there in November,” Alchin said.

“There’s about a dozen signed by Canterbury who are still at home. We will see how they develop before they go down there.

“Phil Gould is always on the phone asking what we’re doing and how we’re doing it. He is a great influence up here and a great help for us.

“We’ve only been going for 10 months. In about three years we will see how we’re going.”
Lemme guess
3 year deal or 4 years if he grew up supporting Panther?

eman & the Utai SLAM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Poor bloke is a carpenter now, working with Lebos, was on the same job site a few years back.
Was it a really bad job and whats wrong with working as a carpenter? Alot of 90’s footy players have real jobs to work for the rest of their lives and not like sell out scum like nrl360 anastoppolous.

Id say even modern day players now cant retire after footy.
Not having a go at your comment just curious was it a bad job site?

Anyway my one and only time meeting my grand final hero was 2-3am AFTER the 2004 Grand Final outside canterbury leagues walking on an off street to find my car (was i drunk or tipsy i dont recall), I walked past Utai having a smoke and we both said hey dude , nodded mutually about the dogs win and thats it.

To this day i was wondering why he wasnt at a massive piss up with the rest of the team or maybe he was walking to the next after party…