News Phil Gould delves into Bulldogs issues as pressure mounts on Cameron Ciraldo

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Deep down i agree with Gus regarding a long term approach but we are now 8 years in. I still can't stomach us playing perham and okenbor every week. These blokes are not 1st graders and not even injury backup. Gould still spins too much hot air in telling us he doesn't want knee jerk quick fixes and then signs Toby for 18 months. He also tells us the side was tired and worn down but we were fresh off a bye so don't make flimsy excuses just tell us its not acceptable rather than feed us bullshit. I don't want any more shellacking's. I want effort not standing behind the tryline thinking about the end of season Bali trip
I think the knee jerk decisions is buying someone for a mil plus

Toby was gift wrapped to us by the titans

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bulldogs boss Phil Gould says the salary cap sins of past management has left the club with a torturous rebuild that makes it impossible to predict when they will return to finals footy.
In a veiled swipe directed at former coach Des Hasler and CEO Raelene Castle, Gould gave a brutal reality check for disgruntled fans by warning Canterbury were destined for more pain due to the long and arduous process of developing the club from ground up.
Hasler took the Dogs to five finals series in six seasons, including runners up in the 2012 and 2014 grand final.
Canterbury haven’t played finals in six years while Hasler and Castle have remained staunch in their decision to adopt a contract model that included huge back-ended deals.
Gould took it upon himself to front the press on Tuesday following the club’s humiliating 66-0 nil loss to Newcastle last Sunday.
The general manager offered a 15-minute overview of the club’s flagging season, including an admission that he couldn’t predict when the club would be back in the finals race.
“I can’t answer that, no one can answer that,’’ Gould said.
“But I just know we can’t cut corners in the process. Because as soon as you do, you put yourself further behind. It hurts you in the long term.

Phil Gould has blamed Bulldogs' current crisis on the Des Hasler era.
“If you go out and try and look for quick fixes, it never works that way and you’re just pushing the problem further down the track.
“Someone has to come in and make the tough decisions and realise this is going to be tough for a while, I wish they (previous management) had done this six or seven years ago.
“If they had of, we wouldn’t be in this position today.
“My aim is that we’re not in this position in five or six years’ time.
“My aim is that this club is never in this position again.
“It (club) has been at the tail of the field for a long time. I think they ran 13th, 13th, 15th, 15th and 16th before I got here and it’s going to be painful for another couple of years yet.
“We just need to make sure this club doesn’t go through this type of period again.’’
The brutal truth !

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Said it thousands of times. Des is a great coach / man manager but do not let him near your cap cause he’ll fuck you.

Ironically, a combo of gm / head of football Gus and coach des would be great

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crichton is on overs, for sure. He’s a centre and we’re giving him fullback money. Other dumbass clubs like the dragons might pay 700k for him, but no smart club would.

Mahoney is just a complete waste of cap space.

Awful signings, adding to what is already a long list of them, as you point out.
Serious question - you think Mahoney is a bad signing?

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fekk the blame game achieves nothing move on.
Question is where will the improvement come from a good 50% of the current squad should be lining up at Centrelink, still no middles in any grade, rolled the dice on sexton he has some ability but is the current shite show good for his development and no plan b if he struggles and ciraldo is learning on the job and appears to be out of his depth.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Said it thousands of times. Des is a great coach / man manager but do not let him near your cap cause he’ll fuck you.

Ironically, a combo of gm / head of football Gus and coach des would be great
I also think a Des/Gus combo would be awesome.

Just leave the cheque book with Gus....

J_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Did everyone watch his conference. He didn't blame anyone, article is taken out of context completely. Staff writer just making assumptions... we sucked 6 years ago, so is Gus not allowed to say this process needed to be done earlier. Pretty basic stuff without sensationalism.
100%

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just watch & listen to the Ballad of Dean Pay it explains everything in a few minutes.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still blaming Des, I see.

Instead of owning where the club is at.

He wants 5-6 more years. An absolute joke.
He sounds like Anthony Albanese. He's been in the job for a year and is still blaming Liberals lol

Gus, you can't keep using that's trick.

Accountability from the top down.

In saying that's, Des tried to buy Premierships and did nothing for our pathways and juniors.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup this. Just nothing but “corporate leadership spin”. He really got the “leadership speak” thesaurus out to structure that piece of dialogue.
Hmmm no panic buys was his mantra. Well, what is Toby Sexton?
Interested in how you come up with Sexton as a panic buy.

We’ve tried a few players at 7, they haven’t worked out, we need a 7, Sextons sitting back without a full time gig, he has some solid stats as a 7 for a young bloke, and he comes cheap, and did I mention we could really use a 7, there’s no experienced or elite 7s available .. it’s only a 2 year contract, if he works out, great cheap pick up, if he doesn’t, he’ll cover that position until a good 7 hopefully becomes available or we look for someone else ..

Where’s the panic part come into that .. ?

bleedblue&white

go the berries
Reaction score
Des is a fucken cancer, boarderline psychopath.
He only cares about the top 30 at any club and even then really the top 17 because that’s how he gets his multimillion dollar contracts
Titans will probably see a couple of years of success then be a dumpster fire for a decade
Des is not Bellamy or Bennett
The problem we have is once they cut out the cancer (Des) the subsequent management/coaches didn’t want to do the hard yards and kept chasing quick fixes/success and none of it worked so we started over again and again, that’s what Gus is referring to.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So many sooks in here, lets suck Gould, CC, drop the whole team and everything will be fixed automatically, nobody knows what's going on behind doors, I trust Gould , he will fix this mess but not today or tomorrow, it takes time
I trust Gould & CC as well, but certainly not going to suck them, there are others on here that will happily step up though ..

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bennett can piece together a team in 12 months and make it competitive.

Gus been here for 2 years which is enough time for someone of his credentials to show signs of at least improvment.

The decision to overlook Flanagan Snr or Potter to put in an assistant coach with no experience is a monumental Fuck up.
Lol it’s been said before but the simple answer to your question is that Bennett got to start from scratch with an unmolested salary cap and and free rein to build the team he wanted, our salary cap had bastardised for a decade you don’t fix that overnight.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol it’s been said before but the simple answer to your question is that Bennett got to start from scratch with an unmolested salary cap and and free rein to build the team he wanted, our salary cap had bastardised for a decade you don’t fix that overnight.
Do you think Bennett would be going as bad with this current team of ours? I'll have 10k on the answer no chance

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He didn't need to mention those scumbags. Any real Bulldogs fan should know exactly who he is speaking truth about
Yup, he mentioned them without mentioning them, especially when he rattled off the positions the team finished in from 2019 to 2022