Building fire in Surry Hills

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
The place wasn't too far from my office. The building itself was heritage listed so couldn't be touched. I'm guessing that, as it was abandoned, there was obviously no running electricity going into the building, the fire must've come from another fire WITHIN the building. Now, as squatters frequent abandoned buildings like that for shelter, they only need one thing - heat. I'm guessing that they brought a barrel into to the building and lit it up. Probably the bottom of the barrel started getting a little hot, even perhaps burnt through, and the floorboards in that building (that's what they were built like back then) went up, and that's all it took.
I’m not up with the Australian Standards for abandon buildings but I’m assuming they still have to comply as they are a certain height and adjacent to inhabited tenancies. So why were the smoke alarms not working? Why did the sprinklers not go off in the Carpark? Has the Hydrant booster pump been serviced in the last six months? Why did the fire spread to different levels! Was there fire checking done on inter floor penetrations? What is the asbestos register? Will the smoke contain asbestos particles? So many questions.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As a building manager I would not want to be involved in this one. I wonder who the independent fire practitioner was who signed off on the Annual Fire Safety Statement? Building are designed not to go up like this. I saw it all as well was like nothing I’ve witnessed.
My guess is that the cladding replacement was delayed due to heritage listing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This could've been me growing up if I was slightly dumber, I was a mad fire bug :tearsofjoy:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Two 13 year old kids have handed themselves for the fire..
So the missus has Sunrise on the box this morning and I'm wandering around getting ready for work and they're interviewing some random guy who saw the fire. During the interview, he says he saw three young teenagers run out of the building blah blah blah. Anyways, you can tell the interviewers had no idea this was coming and basically said, we think the Police will want to talk to you asap. Interview ends.

5 hours later the kids hand themselves in.

Reckon that interview was what told the kids and their parents that the kids were fckd.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So the missus has Sunrise on the box this morning and I'm wandering around getting ready for work and they're interviewing some random guy who saw the fire. During the interview, he says he saw three young teenagers run out of the building blah blah blah. Anyways, you can tell the interviewers had no idea this was coming and basically said, we think the Police will want to talk to you asap. Interview ends.

5 hours later the kids hand themselves in.

Reckon that interview was what told the kids and their parents that the kids were fckd.
100% Dooges..

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone tell me more about the story of the 7 Lebs arguing behind the building ten mins before the fire?

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They showed the architect who designed the new building and it integrated the old, why would they burn it down? - doesn’t make sense.

Could have been the people living in it.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Probably get sentenced to whale watching lessons would get a worse consequence for a pound of bud.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
It's so easy to blame kids.
Is there any 6 degrees of separation when it comes to this?

I mean is there anyone here who is not a brother who knows someone, who knows someone else who would know the family of the kids who are said to of being playing with matches at an abandoned building in broad daylight in a busy part of the city?

I read a comment that an eyewitness spoke to the media and said he seen 3 kids running from the building just before it went up.

I question the credibility of the supposed eyewitness? Because if I were an eyewitness I'd report that to the police first.
Apparently he spoke to the media first?

It's an easy alibi.
I do know kids are stupid enough to do something like this, especially this day and age.

So now I'm speculating it's a conspiracy.
If another major fire happens again like this and they blame kids, it won't hold any credibility for me.

I bet you the lot is going to be replaced with something that has Chinese writing on it?