Ethan Quai-Ward top 30 effective immediately

tyl0r

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does he have a highlights video

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Funny that, because I’ve got a diamond in the rough Preston type vibe about him ..

Either way, the clubs doing the right thing by going out there and grabbing these kids with potential on the cheap and giving them a go and seeing what they can do.

Have you read the story on Nico Hynes … on how he was going nowhere, and then Melbourne plucked him out of the Cowboys lower grades and gave him a shot.

What Gus is doing grabbing these type of players and giving them their shot is the key to us becoming successful again ..

Love how we’re sitting in second last place and everyone’s so picky and choosy about new players the clubs bringing in on the cheap to try and turn things around.
No idea where you went with that one but nobody is complaining about the signing. Im basically saying he is a better version of Okunbor/Waddell but is a center?

Hopefully the plan is to convert him into a backrower because if we let go Waddell and Okunbor for cheapie in Ward hopefully he can dp the job in the forwards.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No idea where you went with that one but nobody is complaining about the signing. Im basically saying he is a better version of Okunbor/Waddell but is a center?

Hopefully the plan is to convert him into a backrower because if we let go Waddell and Okunbor for cheapie in Ward hopefully he can dp the job in the forwards.
Why is everyone always wanting to convert a player into something else … he’s a big bodied metre eating centre, exactly what we need, get him 1st grade fit, make sure he’s defence is there, and get him into the centres asap and then go find us another one ..

This is the body shape and size we need in both our centres, work on building power speed and defence and they’d be a handful for any of the top 6 teams ..

Image1684581130.260858.jpg

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Why is everyone always wanting to convert a player into something else … he’s a big bodied metre eating centre, exactly what we need, get him 1st grade fit, make sure he’s defence is there, and get him into the centres asap and then go find us another one ..
Your not wrong.. Initial thought was to replace Okunbor/Waddell but probably its Averillo/Casey.

Im watching the kid play now in a Q cup game from a few weeks back. He is definitely a diamond in the rough! Havent seen much of the metre eater stuff, but he is smart, silky hands, very athletic and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. Not far off Izzy tbh... dare to say smarter and better hands.

Comforting thing to is he is totally owning Young Tounomapaie who can NRL.. Plenty of versatility in the signing as he is a BIG unit, almost to big for the centers lol. Wouldnt be surprised if they want to make him an Okunbor type utility.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your not wrong.. Initial thought was to replace Okunbor/Waddell but probably its Averillo/Casey.

Im watching the kid play now in a Q cup game from a few weeks back. He is definitely a diamond in the rough! Havent seen much of the metre eater stuff, but he is smart, silky hands, very athletic and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty. Not far off Izzy tbh... dare to say smarter and better hands.

Comforting thing to is he is totally owning Young Tounomapaie who can NRL.. Plenty of versatility in the signing as he is a BIG unit, almost to big for the centers lol. Wouldnt be surprised if they want to make him an Okunbor type utility.
Read that he ran over 240mtrs against Logan I think it was …

Where are you watching that game ? … wouldn’t mind watching that myself, do you have a link.

If we had 2 big powerful running strike centres that could also defend we wouldn’t be sitting on the bottom of the ladder right now that’s for sure ..

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Read that he ran over 240mtrs against Logan I think it was …

Where are you watching that game ? … wouldn’t mind watching that myself, do you have a link.

If we had 2 big powerful running strike centres that could also defend we wouldn’t be sitting on the bottom of the ladder right now that’s for sure ..
I did some digging on Kayo and a found a replay of a game that was televised.. Dont know if its online but worth a shot -

Sunshine coast falcons vs Souths magpies.

He has the talent but still needs work... You can see he will get better with NRL grade training and looks a competitor so will push.

See how he goes, not expecting miracles but worse case scenario he is a genuine fill in who can ball like Wilso and demolish in reggies.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Likely a replacement for Casey and/or Burns.

Unless we are looking to play Xerri in the second row next year as well as Preston?

Runs like he's stuck in mud. Even playing back at 1.25x speed JAC would smoke him.

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gus signed Preston from NSW Cup and Wilson from Q Cup.. Q Cup is a great standard. If Gus thinks he's worth taking a chance on for a cheap deal, then give him a chance. If he doesn't pan out, it's no loss.. We need more talent period regardless of position. We've signed Sele and I'm sure more forward signings are coming.
Hope he's a revelation for us. The old feeder club system used to allow for late bloomers. It's more rare these days. But I hope we get some value from this signing.
Gus's remedy for success...
I remember reading once what Gus said in an interview when the cap was still approximately 9.5 million dollars,
" To be successful you must have a roster quality of 12 millions squeezed into a 9.5 millions cap "
Also he believes
" Reserve grade must be loaded with quality 1st graders not first grade loaded with quality reserve graders "
Unfortunately for years we have suffered of the later...
Thanks to his great vision and the visions of John Khoury and Aaron Warburton, We have turned the corner !!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus's remedy for success...
I remember reading once what Gus said in an interview when the cap was still approximately 9.5 million dollars,
" To be successful you must have a roster quality of 12 millions squeezed into a 9.5 millions cap "
Also he believes
" Reserve grade must be loaded with quality 1st graders not first grade loaded with quality reserve graders "
Unfortunately for years we have suffered of the later...
Thanks to his great vision and the visions of John Khoury and Aaron Warburton, We have turned the corner !!!
I'm very keen for the club to turn back the clock to the time when we were able to find the un-polished diamonds that other clubs were neglecting. It'd be great if we wind up seeing this guy as a fan favourite in the end. Although I don't love players who use three names a lot.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Likely a replacement for Casey and/or Burns.

Unless we are looking to play Xerri in the second row next year as well as Preston?

Runs like he's stuck in mud. Even playing back at 1.25x speed JAC would smoke him.

On @KLil advice I watched him play a game and he’s no speedster but he’s also not slow ..

If you take a look at the bigger packs, Canberra, Sharks and such their wingers can run when the have to, but where they excel is they’re big, powerful hard to get to ground, they break tackles and they get the ball to their faster wingers .. they use their power and score their try’s closer on line because they’re hard to stop.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm very keen for the club to turn back the clock to the time when we were able to find the un-polished diamonds that other clubs were neglecting. It'd be great if we wind up seeing this guy as a fan favourite in the end. Although I don't love players who use three names a lot.
Gus who is the closest clone of Bullfrog is turning the club back into the future, admittedly it isn't easy now with the salary cap and all,
As for the three name thing I believe those players should be tripling their efforts to live up to their multiple names :tearsofjoy: