FULLBACK HERITAGE

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rod Silva was my favourite. He was the fullback when I first actually understood football. Met him in Tamworth at a legends of league clash where he played pretty well. Top fellow. He took a few minutes to have a chat with me. Still seems to love the Bulldogs who happened to be getting their ass handed to them in NZ at the time.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Rod Silva was my favourite. He was the fullback when I first actually understood football. Met him in Tamworth at a legends of league clash where he played pretty well. Top fellow. He took a few minutes to have a chat with me. Still seems to love the Bulldogs who happened to be getting their ass handed to them in NZ at the time.

Gubanaculum

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ewen Mcgrady was easily the fastest player from zero to 30 mtrs i have ever played with by a country mile.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some great names there and it's strange with all our past success, not many rep fullbacks represented us in the last 40 years.
Was Brentnall our last international fullback?
I can't even think of anyone playing origin after him whilst playing for the dogs.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For years, the Dogs had a fullback production line ranging from the great to the absolute club legends.
Looking at the below list is enough to make you weep into your Doggies scarf. Every year there was high expectation with our fullbacks. Quite a few Dally M medals in this list. Hard to pick a favourite as they all had their special brilliance. Have a soft spot for Ewen Mcgrady, who was the most brilliant attacking player. Came to the Dogs in his later years,(think 26-27) when they were looking at Mick Ryan. Had troubles with the bombs, defense & living in the city. Who is your favourite.

Les Johns
Stan Cutler
Garry Dowling
Greg Brentnall
Mick Potter
Rod Silva,
Ewen Mcgrady ( also played halves)
Ben Barba
Luke Patten.
What about Damien Ford?????

Played more FB than McGrady

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this order:
Rod Silva

Ben Barba

Luke Patten.

Jonathan Davies

Ewen Mcgrady

Les Johns

Mick Potter

Scott Wilson

Stan Cutler

Garry Dowling

Greg Brentnall

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What about Greg Barwick? Pretty sure that’s his name.
I remember when there were kicking duels..
I remember one particular game between us and the Raiders at the W.A.C.A
Correct me if he wasn’t a FB

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patten was my favourite player, no frills, fast, safe, consistent and underrated as fuck, take him over slater any day

Barba still to this day baffles me how strong he was, I revisit his highlight video once every few months. Might watch it now. Absolute

Trent cutler honourable mention, superstar in the making until he lost all his confidence after that horror game where he couldn’t catch a bomb

Brent crisp

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What is this shit about McGrady and FB ????

The guy was exclusively a 1/2.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw most of them but not the one that would be regarded the best by many who saw all of them would be Les Johns, before my time, but most who did see him rate him as a club legend and one of the best if not the best players, let alone fullbacks the club has had.

Garry Dowling was playing when I first started following the Berries/Bulldogs so don't remember him that well, but we were merely a competitive team, not a premiership threat in the '70's.

Stan Cutler was a good fullback, scored a try for us in the '79 Grand Final, when beaten by Saints. Many say if the game had gone another 5 minutes we would have won that Grand Final as we were down 17 nil at half time and won the 2nd half 13-0. Tries then were 3 points.

Rod Silva had a brilliant step, not unlike Brad Fittler in his day.

Ben Barba was just brilliant to watch when he was on song.

Ewan McGrady had ONE break out season that earnt him a Rothman's Medal. Outstanding player albeit for one season.

Greg Bretnall was best known for his touch finders from penalties. He could gain 40 plus metres as he had also played VFL/AFL in the Riverina.

Jonathan Davies was a joy to watch if he got into the clear, the Welsh man came to us from Rugby Union and was a very good goal kicker as well.

Both Mick Potter and Luke Patten were ever reliable in very good teams, they made very few errors and were both a vital cog in premiership winning sides.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gary Dowling was a very special player
Gary Dowling was best I've seen at joining the backline at full pace, his timing & strength was amazing. However he was a bit wobbly with the bombs & suspects in defence.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Silva was my favorite player growing up. Guy could step off both feet. If I remember clearly he played one final match on the wing in first grade before he retired.