Religious Discussion Thread

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
In perhaps the worst case of better the devil you know it appears drag queen story time would be less precarious if the responsibility was entrusted to the catholic church :sob:

View attachment 70327
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/has-media-ignored-sex-abuse-in-school/
That's why I like the way Australia handled it. The royal inquest wasn't just an inquest into religious institutions. It was an inquest into all situations where adults oversee children.

And that's why we now have working with children checks, that require adults to get a proper check before working with children. That includes drag queens.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not looking to much into it. But curiously.

Are these raw numbers? Pretty sure the public school population is 10x higher than private/catholic in the US.

Is the stat only taking into account public school v catholic school? Better representation of the institution (concerning abuse) would be public school institution v catholic institutions. And thaylt as well raw numbers are misleading.

Again i have not even looked at the study. I will tomorrow. Im on pre game beers woot wooooot
When it says "per 100,000", it usually means "per capita"

That said, I couldn't find where this chart comes from. Just that it's shared on Reddit a lot with no actual source. But I didn't look too far into it.

The CBS link references links that are Catholic.com links and the pages have been deleted. So they may have been false, but the news article is also from 2006 so they could just have been deleted because they're old.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
And yes, I'm sitting in this thread because we are being an absolute embarrassment right now and I don't even want to read what's going on in the Bulldogs V Raiders thread.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As the National Catholic Register's reporter Wayne Laugesen points out, the federal report said 422,000 California public-school students would be victims before graduation — a number that dwarfs the state's entire Catholic-school enrollment of 143,000.

Thats a bit cherry picking. Who were they victims too? And as said 50mil average piblic school enrolment per year compared to 5mil catholic enrolment raw figures used like that are designed to mislead, there is so much more that needs to be compared.

The article itself is pretty pointless. Its like saying "no need too look at my Skeltons, theirs are bigger"
The article comes from the National Review. This is a paper that has a history of extremist views. Including claiming that Obama's parents must be Communists because in 1960 only Communists would allow a white woman to marry a black man, or post 9/11 when they published an article saying that we should "invade Muslim countries, kill their leaders, and force them to convert to Christianity"

Not surprised they are cherry picking data.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And yes, I'm sitting in this thread because we are being an absolute embarrassment right now and I don't even want to read what's going on in the Bulldogs V Raiders thread.
So thats what happened to that thread, BTW Hacky, don't you trust us to be seperate the wheat from the chalf.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So thats what happened to that thread, BTW Hacky, don't you trust us to be seperate the wheat from the chalf.
We definitely separate the wheat from the chaff. But right now the Bulldogs aren't even the Chaff. They're the refuse left over after the bugs got in and ate all the stock.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
We definitely separate the wheat from the chaff. But right now the Bulldogs aren't even the Chaff. They're the refuse left over after the bugs got in and ate all the stock.
We definitely need someone to lead us to the promised land....

lukedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have a legit question for @ASSASSIN relating to a theological discrepancy reputation.

As a Catholic, I personally never understood the difference between Orthodox and my belief. There was zero mention at any point, only "they do it different."

My question is, how were you taught about Catholics? Were we Pope cucks, or similar to my upbringing, considered seperate but equal?

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I have a legit question for @ASSASSIN relating to a theological discrepancy reputation.

As a Catholic, I personally never understood the difference between Orthodox and my belief. There was zero mention at any point, only "they do it different."

My question is, how were you taught about Catholics? Were we Pope cucks, or similar to my upbringing, considered seperate but equal?
Baptised Orthodox, went to Catholic school, consider myself Christian and that's it. Jesus doesn't know what Orthodoxy or Catholicism is. My pronouns are Christian/Soldier of Christ ;)

Main difference is the calendar used, our masses are full traditional (2-3 hours, Priests face the altar - basically like the traditional Latin mass), vast majority is still spoken/sung ,in Aramaic (our Assyrian old tongue).

I know you guys focus more on saints and Mary than we do. Your church hierarchy sometimes appears to be more important than the Bible. Plus we believe Jesus is the Rock that His church is built on and not on a human, Peter, like Catholics do.

PS my bishop is Mar Mari (the famous one that everyone talks about) he is strictly Biblical and doesn't bow down to the Patriarchy or Vatican and points out faults.

PS both Orthodox and Catholic are Apostolic Churches. Basically. Orthodox is Eastern and Catholic is Western.

PPS my bishop is trying to unite both sides together, we gave enough enemies these days to be squabbling between eachother.

Last edited:

lukedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Baptised Orthodox, went to Catholic school, consider myself Christian and that's it. Jesus doesn't know what Orthodoxy or Catholicism is. My pronouns are Christian/Soldier of Christ ;)

Main difference is the calendar used, our masses are full traditional (2-3 hours, Priests face the altar - basically like the traditional Latin mass), vast majority is still spoken/sung ,in Aramaic (our Assyrian old tongue).

I know you guys focus more on saints and Mary than we do. Your church hierarchy sometimes appears to be more important than the Bible. Plus we believe Jesus is the Rock that His church is built on and not on a human, Peter, like Catholics do.

PS my bishop is Mar Mari (the famous one that everyone talks about) he is strictly Biblical and doesn't bow down to the Patriarchy or Vatican and points out faults.

PS both Orthodox and Catholic are Apostolic Churches. Basically. Orthodox is Eastern and Catholic is Western.

PPS my bishop is trying to unite both sides together, we gave enough enemies these days to be squabbling between eachother.
Thanks for the response brother. I've read the Schism happened due mainly to Orthodox placing the Father above the rest of the Trinity, but I'm sure it was individual squabbles as usual. I dabble in sedevacantist beliefs, meaning the Pope may be false, though I do have a deep respect for Mary and pray to her often.

My deceased brother attended St Ioannis in Harris park, though he also went to Hillsong. Tormented by many demons, he was. I appreciate your response, especially since I've considered going to Orthodox Church a LARP, as in Live Action Role Play, inauthentic, for those not raised that way.

Thanks man, I concur strongly Jesus has no mortal transient barriers, such is his Love. The first true revolutionary. Often imitated, never replicated.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Thanks for the response brother. I've read the Schism happened due mainly to Orthodox placing the Father above the rest of the Trinity, but I'm sure it was individual squabbles as usual. I dabble in sedevacantist beliefs, meaning the Pope may be false, though I do have a deep respect for Mary and pray to her often.

My deceased brother attended St Ioannis in Harris park, though he also went to Hillsong. Tormented by many demons, he was. I appreciate your response, especially since I've considered going to Orthodox Church a LARP, as in Live Action Role Play, inauthentic, for those not raised that way.

Thanks man, I concur strongly Jesus has no mortal transient barriers, such is his Love. The first true revolutionary. Often imitated, never replicated.
I don't know about other Orthodox churches, but mine welcomes everyone, especially at Bible studies on a Friday night. Even though it's an Assyrian Orthodox church, we get a lot of Catholics, Maronites, Lebs, Indians, Aussies, anyone and everyone who wants to focus on the Bible.

We have been studying Revelation for over the last year. They are all on youtube if you're interested. Just search Christ the Good Shepherd Church on YouTube and they all come up.

lukedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don't know about other Orthodox churches, but mine welcomes everyone, especially at Bible studies on a Friday night. Even though it's an Assyrian Orthodox church, we get a lot of Catholics, Maronites, Lebs, Indians, Aussies, anyone and everyone who wants to focus on the Bible.

We have been studying Revelation for over the last year. They are all on youtube if you're interested. Just search Christ the Good Shepherd Church on YouTube and they all come up.
Thank you man.

I've come full circle from being raised Catholic and praying nightly, to questioning how Adam and Eve sync up with Evolutionary Theory. How Genesis corresponds with The Big Bang, est. Grow up, suffer, seek answers, find them, forgotten in the cradle.

My mates uncle is a Lebo Orthodox Priest, wont say where, but I do love and respect the intensity. Assyrians were the OG blood and fury people, without overstepping PC barriers, it's fucking amazing to see their infusion with Christianity.

Like Smoke and Rock, seamlessly melded.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Thank you man.

I've come full circle from being raised Catholic and praying nightly, to questioning how Adam and Eve sync up with Evolutionary Theory. How Genesis corresponds with The Big Bang, est.

My mates uncle is a Lebo Orthodox Priest, wont say where, but I do love and respect the intensity. Assyrians were the OG blood and fury people, without overstepping PC barriers, it's fucking amazing to see their infusion with Christianity.

Like Smoke and Rock, seamlessly melded.
Yeah we were ruthless barbarians back in the day, known as "The strength of Gods hand".

When Jonah finally made it to Nineveh, we took Gods warning seriously and haven't looked back.

PS I believe Gods not finished with us yet and we will play a part in the end times. Out of all the Mesopotamian cultures, only us Assyrians are left and none of the rest.

Isaiah 19:23-25 (KJV)

In that day shall there be a highway out of Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian shall come into Egypt, and the Egyptian into Assyria, and the Egyptians shall serve with the Assyrians.

In that day shall Israel be the third with Egypt and with Assyria, even a blessing in the midst of the land:

Whom the LORD of hosts shall bless, saying, Blessed be Egypt my people, and Assyria the work of my hands, and Israel mine inheritance.

lukedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I guess I should also ask, not to evoke but to enquire, why don't you pray to Mary? I understand she falls outside of the Trinity, and praying to her is akin to venerated any Saint as on par with Christ, the Father, the Holy Spirit.

Have you ever prayed the Hail Mary? I try to do it every night, though sometimes I only make a quick prayer and end with Gloria Patri. Always.

Edit: I also confess I read the King James Bible. It is Shakespearian, and the closest to the original scripture, what you hear in your Mass.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I guess I should also ask, not to evoke but to enquire, why don't you pray to Mary? I understand she falls outside of the Trinity, and praying to her is akin to venerated any Saint as on par with Christ, the Father, the Holy Spirit.

Have you ever prayed the Hail Mary? I try to do it every night, though sometimes I only make a quick prayer and end with Gloria Patri. Always.

Edit: I also confess I read the King James Bible. It is Shakespearian, and the closest to the original scripture, what you hear in your Mass.
We love her and respect her, but don't pray to her or any saint.

I don't think less of anyone that does and I can see how some justify it, but I prefer to talk to.my Father directly.

Plus The Lords prayer is the perfect prayer that Jesus instructed us to pray.

PS with your rosary, why do you pray more "Hail Marys" than "Our Fathers"?

lukedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We love her and respect her, but don't pray to her or any saint.

I don't think less of anyone that does and I can see how some justify it, but I prefer to talk to.my Father directly.

Plus The Lords prayer is the perfect prayer that Jesus instructed us to pray.

PS with your rosary, why do you pray more "Hail Marys" than "Our Fathers"?
That is fair, and perfectly understandable. As the Trinity can get drawn into theological discrepancies, "If you worship One God, why pray to three seperate entities?", Mary does not factor in.

As a Catholic, the Hail Mary evokes a deeply maternal reverence. I pray the Rosary, as the Rosary seems to be Mary's realm. not going to pretend I get it any more than that.

I'll attend an Orthodox Mass this weekend.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Rosary is the weapon against evil from a Catholics stand point, it’s Mary who crushes the serpents head after all. The originations of the Rosary was in the 13th century when the Blessed Virgin appeared to St Dominic and introduced it to him, beyond that I don’t know more.

Evil hates Mary because it can’t stand that a earthly born women was chosen by God to bare our Lord.

The Catholic Church doesn’t require people to pray it, saying that since I have started to pray it daily it’s changed my life for the better.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The Rosary is the weapon against evil from a Catholics stand point, it’s Mary who crushes the serpents head after all. The originations of the Rosary was in the 13th century when the Blessed Virgin appeared to St Dominic and introduced it to him, beyond that I don’t know more.

Evil hates Mary because it can’t stand that a earthly born women was chosen by God to bare our Lord.

The Catholic Church doesn’t require people to pray it, saying that since I have started to pray it daily it’s changed my life for the better.
She indirectly crushed the serpents head, Jesus directly crushed it on the Cross.

From catholic.com...

Jesus directly crushed the serpent and was directly struck by the serpent, while Mary indirectly crushed it and was indirectly struck by it, due to her cooperation in becoming the mother of Christ.
I'm not taking away anything from Mary, still love and respect her.