Reed Mahoney

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I never paid much attention to him until we signed him. But I watched just enough Parra games after we signed him to be confident that he's got the attributes that some under rate but my favourite ones for a hooker.

1. He'll quickly identify the right option to take with his ability to read the defence. You can have the best attacking players and throw them at a set defensive line to no avail. But even average players do well if they're getting a chance at a broken defence and Mahoney can sniff out those broken defences.

2. He can throw a crisp well timed pass to his players which allows them to work at their pace. Since Ennis left our players have had to wait and time their runs to match the passing ability of the 9's. If we had a quick forward their pace wasn't utilised and our halves might have seen half chances before, but the ball wasn't going to get there in time to exploit it.

A lot of people seem to just love a #9 that runs the ball 25 times a game. Someone like Farrah looked good but he was a fucking glory hog and fucked up chances for his team. They might look impressive, but Mahoney will allow the rest of the team to excel. I'm glad we picked him up.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reed has been that good that, if you took him out of the two games we've played so far we'd be worse than the Tigers.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never paid much attention to him until we signed him. But I watched just enough Parra games after we signed him to be confident that he's got the attributes that some under rate but my favourite ones for a hooker.

1. He'll quickly identify the right option to take with his ability to read the defence. You can have the best attacking players and throw them at a set defensive line to no avail. But even average players do well if they're getting a chance at a broken defence and Mahoney can sniff out those broken defences.

2. He can throw a crisp well timed pass to his players which allows them to work at their pace. Since Ennis left our players have had to wait and time their runs to match the passing ability of the 9's. If we had a quick forward their pace wasn't utilised and our halves might have seen half chances before, but the ball wasn't going to get there in time to exploit it.

A lot of people seem to just love a #9 that runs the ball 25 times a game. Someone like Farrah looked good but he was a fucking glory hog and fucked up chances for his team. They might look impressive, but Mahoney will allow the rest of the team to excel. I'm glad we picked him up.
Spot on re Farah, lost count of the number of times NSW played poorly in terms of attack or key decisions with him at 9 (and of course Pearce at 7) even when we had a dominating forward pack.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Calling it. He’ll be the greatest 9 in the history of this club. Done be surprised to see him at 14 for the Maroons
that’s a massive call. Hope you’re right in Saying better than Hetherington! That’d be awesome

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He can be our Equivalent of Cam Smith at Melbourne. He has a few mistakes in him but his vision and creativity we have not had at dummy half in a long time.
I think his defence is a bit under rated by most as well as he hits hard in every tackle.

A gem for sure.
Shaping up to be equivalent of Cam Smith for sure. There was a touch of Cam in that ‘dive’ to win the penalty/disallowed try at the weekend!

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
walla you have that much ammo to shoot every past, present future bulldogs player. Your so hemi:joycat::joycat::joycat:
Never liked that zub. Especially because he would talk shit then run behind the forwards, the fkn coward.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Guess u can say… he’s Mahoney well spent!
LOL!

@ASSASSIN @bulamakdoggy @craigm02 @2144superman @NPC83 @Raysie @rayssari @Foxalldayeveryday check out the joke above and let me know what you think.
It’s quality but let me know in the comments.
I know you would have already been aware Mahoney was coming well before he did through your catering contacts. It was a shame you weren’t here to tell us. But we landed our man in the end and our ruck looks completely different now.