Young dog Oloapu doing everything right

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I don’t buy into the “burton needs an organising half” debate. Burton needs someone that offers a threat on the other side of the field. Teams stack their defence against our left hand side.
We were successful with grub and Keating in the halves, neither are organised but both offer some kind of threat with the ball in hand.
KO and alamoti on the right with rfm and Burton, kikau and Skelton on the left.
Tough for teams to defend the unpredictable
Why is the centre cemented to the left then? Why doesn't he roam like the elite 5/8ths, since he is getting elite 5/8th money...

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why is the centre cemented to the left then? Why doesn't he roam like the elite 5/8ths, since he is getting elite 5/8th money...
He has a bloke who thinks he’s a dominant player hence why he touches the ball more in most games. There is no other logical explanation for Flanno having more touches in games.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm of a mind that KO is worth a run if we keep playing like we did. Even more so if he keeps playing like he did...

Perfect scenario is we improve out of sight, he wins a premiership in NSW Cup and gets blooded in FG this year. Goes on with it properly next year in FG. We keep playing like we are, maybe it's time to bite of more than we can chew and chew like mad and give this boy a run

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He has a bloke who thinks he’s a dominant player hence why he touches the ball more in most games. There is no other logical explanation for Flanno having more touches in games.
Logical explanation, too easy, Flanagan played both sides of the field against Manly.

Always a Bulldog

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Logical explanation, too easy, Flanagan played both sides of the field against Manly.

Always a Bulldog
And why would any coach want Flanno to play both sides? He can’t consistently make a decent pass out in front or put guys into gaps. It’s a flawed attacking plan if that’s what the coach wants from him.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And why would any coach want Flanno to play both sides? He can’t consistently make a decent pass out in front or put guys into gaps. It’s a flawed attacking plan if that’s what the coach wants from him.
I do not recall seeing one Flanagan wayward pass in the Manly game. Happy to look at any evidence you have to the contrary.

Always a Bulldog

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
The fact that he was thrown straight in against men for the first time, in his first game of the season is telling.

I think he is a special to debut sooner than later.

The real good ones can virtually skip reserves.
I feel more optimistic about him coming in with Mahoney there who will give him crisp service and help with organising the team. Still doesn’t sit well though that he comes into a losing team and some players not fulfilling their roles. He can develop a lot better in cup for a few more weeks IMO. Maybe come in against someone like the warriors.

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That’s a game plan and structure issue rather than a personnel issue. Late last year our five eighth did pop up on the other side of the field. Most notably when he put the grubber through for averillo against parra.
But it’s not the kennels style to let facts get in the way of a good hate train.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s a game plan and structure issue rather than a personnel issue. Late last year our five eighth did pop up on the other side of the field. Most notably when he put the grubber through for averillo against parra.
But it’s not the kennels style to let facts get in the way of a good hate train.
Your facts are what need checking .... the play in question was through the middle of the field.

If you think our 5/8 is playing well .... good luck.

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ok I’ll cop that it wasn’t on the far right of the field but definitely closer to the right than the left.
I didn’t say he’s playing well or that I think he is. I’m pointing out that the structure is what is hampering our players

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which elite 5/8ths roam? Luai, Munster and Keary don’t. They all stay on the left flank. As does Foran, Mam and Wighton. The majority of 5/8ths play on the left. I don’t know where this idea that they roam came from.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Which elite 5/8ths roam? Luai, Munster and Keary don’t. They all stay on the left flank. As does Foran, Mam and Wighton. The majority of 5/8ths play on the left. I don’t know where this idea that they roam came from.
In general the halves play split sides, but if the scrum is off centre they will often be on the same side. Although it seems to be more becoming popular for one of the halves to pack into the scrum at lock and run a set play from there.

Always a Bulldog

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blame guys like lewis and to an extent Josh Reynolds. Fuckers running sideways lmao

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blame guys like lewis and to an extent Josh Reynolds. Fuckers running sideways lmao

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They roam in comparison to Burton. Burton plays down the same narrow corridor all game that there's barely even room to have a fullback sweeping behind him, even if there is he fucks up the pass anyway. A lot for other 5/8's don't just do this. Look at Munster, he will get in at first receiver to the right of the ruck when the balls on his side and then either linkup up with Hughes or go on one of his typical marauding runs. Burton just doesn't do this.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is Karl down there does NSW Cup team play there this weekend ?