Dogs most hyped rookie since SBW ready to prove he belongs in the NRL

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Image1675824719.184002.jpg

He is one of the most hyped and proudly produced Bulldogs juniors to emerge in years, with some going as far as to declare there hasn’t been a more anticipated rookie to wear Canterbury colours since Sonny Bill Williams arrived on the scene like a cyclone in 2004.

That was the same year Bulldogs young gun Paul Alamoti was born.

And here we are 19 years down the track and another hulking thunderbolt is ready to stake his claim for NRL fame.

New coach Cameron Ciraldo has wasted no time making clear his intentions for this muscled up teenager who has caused havoc at the junior rep levels.

Alamoti has been named in the centres for Sunday’s trial against Canberra ahead of the season when he is expected to cement his spot in the top grade.

He is a Milperra Colts junior who went to school at Marists Brothers Kogarah, (the same school as another local made good Josh Reynolds), while Alamoti still lives at home with his father Moti and three siblings at Riverwood.

That’s where this teenager is apparently as happy helping with the cooking and cleaning duties as he is demolishing opposition defences with his wrecking ball style of play that has already earned plenty of adulation. He also scored an impressive HSC result.

Bulldogs fans haven’t exactly had an abundance of local juniors to cheer in recent times, but the hype around Alamoti looks legitimate.

The Bulldogs boast a star-studded list of youngsters who have debuted for the club in the 2000s, but few have been fair dinkum home grown talent like this bloke.

The honour roll of the Bulldogs most celebrated rookies to emerge in the 2000s includes mostly imported talent.

Braith Anasta (2000) was a Souths junior, Johnathan Thurston (2002) a Queenslander, Roy Asotasi (2002) another Kiwi like SBW (2004), Ben Barba (2008) another Queenslander, Jamal Idris (2008) came down from Forster early, while Reynolds (2011) was locally produced, and David Klemmer (2013) signed as a 15-year-old from the All Saints Toongabbie Tigers.

News Corp revealed a couple of years ago how Roosters supremo Nick Politis was sitting with Alamoti’s agent David Riolo and former Rooster Mitch Aubusson at a SG Ball match.

That day Alamoti pretty much beat up the young Chooks on his own, scoring two tries and setting up a couple more.

At that time Alamoti was still young enough to be playing Harold Matthews Cup.

But while Politis was understandably impressed with what he saw as he walked away chatting to Riolo, the reality is that it was nothing more than an innocent catch up, with Aubusson also one of Riolo’s long-term clients.

But it certainly got the tongues of the Bulldogs’ faithful wagging, and the club’s honchos more than a little nervous, because within days they’d locked him up to a longer and more lucrative contract.

Alamoti then got thrown into a NRL trial against Newcastle last year ahead of his time but was towelled up by veteran Dane Gagai.

But this time round he is a year older although still young enough to be eligible for SG Ball but you just have to look at his physical presence to know he won’t be manhandled any longer.

The mail is considered a certainty to lock down a centre position this season if he stays healthy.

Alamoti did have an injury troubled 2022 season but finished strongly, with good judges adamant he looked more than ready to take the next step.

From daily telecrap

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Local rookie seems a bit of a stretch if you define purely based it as a rookie that is from where your club is situated.

If you take someone like Lionel Messi as an example, he clearly is a Barcelona product despite being originally from Argentina. I'd define a local rookie as someone that actually went through the 'Dogs system from a fairly early age. That is a talent is scouted, goes through your SG Ball or Jersey Flegg side and debuts for you, anything else just skews the results to clubs like the Panthers or Broncos who have a much bigger pool than any other club

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can someone confirm what we define as a local junior these days?
Saying we can’t claim Jamal Idris is ridiculous

Jamal is the definition of a 'Dogs Junior lol. I went to school with him at La Salle Bankstown/ did Senior Science together and played MCC Basketball with him as well. We literally gave him the pathway for Junior Reps into FG. It's no different to the Panthers claiming "LoCaL JuNiOr" Matt Burton. Dubbo? That's in Penrith.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Politis & Innocent catch up don’t belong in the same sentence .. that reeks of BS .. code for Politis missed out on tempting him to the Roosters, has to protect that reputation of always getting his man …

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hope he kicks ass i really do..not fussed ie 0FG on the what defines whatever Youse said lol
Me i'm just keen for some footy, yeh boi!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Local rookie seems a bit of a stretch if you define purely based it as a rookie that is from where your club is situated.

If you take someone like Lionel Messi as an example, he clearly is a Barcelona product despite being originally from Argentina. I'd define a local rookie as someone that actually went through the 'Dogs system from a fairly early age. That is a talent is scouted, goes through your SG Ball or Jersey Flegg side and debuts for you, anything else just skews the results to clubs like the Panthers or Broncos who have a much bigger pool than any other club
Bulldog Local junior (or whatever club)- needs to be re phrased to Bulldog developed player. Wherever the player id their development or pathways or transition from junior footy to open age footy - some players it will be more than one club.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamal is the definition of a 'Dogs Junior lol. I went to school with him at La Salle Bankstown/ did Senior Science together and played MCC Basketball with him as well. We literally gave him the pathway for Junior Reps into FG. It's no different to the Panthers claiming "LoCaL JuNiOr" Matt Burton. Dubbo? That's in Penrith.
It's like every article from DT is taking shots at our club.
I remember Jamal as a kid breaking records at Bankstown athletics too when his older brother was looking like a future star too.
If a kid plays in our junior pathways then that's all that matters. What input does a club have on a kid’s development before they are 16 anyway?

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Politis & Innocent catchup don’t belong in the same sentence .. that reeks of BS .. code for Politis missed out on tempting him to the Roosters, has to protect that reputation of always getting his man …
Politis and innocent doesn't belong full stop, unless... If he is pleading innocent Infront of a judge

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope he’s picked up a bit of speed. I remember in the trial against Knights he picked up a loose ball and had a big run. Looked like he was on the treadmill.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope he’s picked up a bit of speed. I remember in the trial against Knights he picked up a loose ball and had a big run. Looked like he was on the treadmill.
With JAC outside of him he just needs good acceleration / strength to get into space, then the ability to position JAC and get him the ball.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
There are plenty of here who will do that, no need for the Tele.

Always a Bulldog
Lol I'm pretty sure players are advised to steer clear of here to avoid the weight of expectation, or burden of criticism....not so easy to do that with major metro media publications.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Will be nice to see young players giving the Coach no choice but to promote them as opposed to recent history and in some cases still, young blokes given unlimited chances and still doing nothing with it. Go young fella, give us a new fan favourite while you destroy the players facing you!