News NRL 2023: Speculation growing Mitch Moses could leave Parramatta, sign with Tigers or Bulldogs

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better than Flanno which isn't saying much but he's more than twice the price. The Dogs will not a win a GF with Moses and he'll just be bigger waste of cap space.
So we go with a 7 worse than Moses to save money for who ?

Those better than him aren't available.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we go with a 7 worse than Moses to save money for who ?

Those better than him aren't available.
I've already posted who should be our playmaker earlier in this thread given that the high quality HBs from other clubs are not available.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we need nathan cleary then?

Please advise who should partner burton to help with his development? We need an experienced first grade halfback who do you suggest?
Young Thurston in his first full year in first grade in 2005 didn't need an experienced first grade halfback to help him. Coach Murray had the foresight to build his team around Thurston and give him free reign, space and time to play his natural game at HB even though he was a part time 5/8/ bench player at the Dogs. Thurston learnt from his mistakes in real time and adapted quickly. The rest is history. That's what great players do - they don't need to be spoon fed. To make a quantum leap you need to think outside the box and be adaptable rather than just follow what every other club does.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
imo he goes missing in all the big games, not worth $1 mil
I see a lot of comments from you … you seem to have strong opinions as if you’re in the know on everything, but I don’t see you take into account variation, a new coach with new players around him, a new game plan & new motivation can change things dramatically, as proven in 2009, I’m backing in Gus & CC to know what they’re doing …

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Young Thurston in his first full year in first grade in 2005 didn't need an experienced first grade halfback to help him. Coach Murray had the foresight to build his team around Thurston and give him free reign, space and time to play his natural game at HB even though he was a part time 5/8/ bench player at the Dogs. Thurston learnt from his mistakes in real time and adapted quickly. The rest is history. That's what great players do - they don't need to be spoon fed. To make a quantum leap you need to think outside the box and be adaptable rather than just follow what every other club does.
It was a different game back then and JT was infinitely more talented than Burton.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a different game back then and JT was infinitely more talented than Burton.
If we compare the end of season prior to their first full year of first grade, i.e
End of season 2004 Thurston against end of season 2020 Burton:
Burton has far better running game, far bigger and better kicking game
Thurston has better passing game.
In what way was JT infinitely more talented than Burton at those points in time?

• Haha
Reactions: J_B

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If we compare the end of season prior to their first full year of first grade, i.e
End of season 2004 Thurston against end of season 2020 Burton:
Burton has far better running game, far bigger and better kicking game
Thurston has better passing game.
In what way was JT infinitely more talented than Burton at those points in time?
Don't agree at all. If you think Burton is even remotely close to JT then there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't agree at all. If you think Burton is even remotely close to JT then there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise.
In my post I was talking about 2004 Thurston vs 2020 Burton. Thurston played a handful of first grade games that year mainly when Anasta was injured. He only played in the GF from the bench because captain Price was out injured.
Are you seriously suggesting that Thurston was a superstar in 2004? If so using what criteria?

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
and Sherwin were not superstar HB
The "brains trust" had him on the wing in the lower grades at one stage - geez.
However, I would argue he was always a Superstar HB, waiting for his opportunity - which he got and took.
We haven't always been great at identifying and nurturing our halves.
Current recruitment indicates that is starting to change.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like others have said at 1 mil plus he’ll have plenty of pressure to get his team into the 8 and competing hard in the finals.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We had our million dollar plus half in Foran. Where did that get us? MM will be 29 this year 30 next year if he joins us in 24. He’s not a premiership winning half. Invest in the future I say just like Souths have with that young half ilias. Maybe rajab is the answer.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
>"surely just mental"
It's not just mental. The great HB such as Turvey, Sterlo and co make the right decisions around 8 out of 10 times under pressure. Moses is way below 5 out of 10 in making decisions under pressure and goes missing in the big games like the GF. That's why he'll never lead a team to a GF win and failed dismally in his one Origin game.
He's only quick compared to Flanno, he's certainly not in the Turvey class of acceleration.
Question for you… do you think Parra win this years GF if Nathan Cleary was their halfback?

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We don't need to hope, we adapt and we start planning for it now. Given the star HB that have either won a GF or already have the star qualities and potential to win a GF (i.e Cleary, DCE, Keary, Hughes, Sam Walker, Hynes etc) are not available then the next best solution is already at the club. Which player at the club has the best kicking game by far, a strong running game, a decent passing game, Origin experience and GF winning experience with a Dally M as well?
"Experts" at TK say we can't use him as HB because he's not a "controlling half".
I said this 12 months ago and was laughed at by some at TK but I'm not alone because since then Sterlo and Cronk have said the same thing. Let him be the chief playmaker. Doesn't matter what number he wears as long as he makes the decisions, After the hooker the HB touches the ball (or should touch the ball) more times than any other player. Why would you want a shite HB like Flange and all other pretenders at the club touch the ball more times than Burton and make the key decisions rather than him?
Just like coach Murray in 2005 made the decision to build his team around young Thurston (who was a part time 6 rather than 7 at the Dogs if I remember correctly) we should do the same with Burton.
Moses can't start until 2024 if the Dogs are dumb enough to pay big $ for him. Why waste another year with Flange at HB screwing every attacking opportunity when has no creativity, no vision and no running game?
btw I also said Flange was shite back in 2020 days after we signed him on TK and that he was a waste of cap space and was laughed at by the same people at TK who are now bagging him so my track record is not too bad.
Yeah good point. Thurston was a 6 at the dogs and held back in reserves by Anasta who was our 6 at the time.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The biggest problem I see with young players, is the club does not seem to have the capacity to develop their game.
We have had a lot of "promising" players, who just fade away into oblivion. Players like Reimis Smioth, Nick Meaney, etc,
were given proper tuition and developed massively. We need a development attitude.
Players like Rajab, BBO, Haywood, etc need special one on one training.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The biggest problem I see with young players, is the club does not seem to have the capacity to develop their game.
We have had a lot of "promising" players, who just fade away into oblivion. Players like Reimis Smioth, Nick Meaney, etc,
were given proper tuition and developed massively. We need a development attitude.
Players like Rajab, BBO, Haywood, etc need special one on one training.
Very true, not since Folksy have we had the ability to develop youth. Let’s hope Ciraldo is the answer.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Young Thurston in his first full year in first grade in 2005 didn't need an experienced first grade halfback to help him. Coach Murray had the foresight to build his team around Thurston and give him free reign, space and time to play his natural game at HB even though he was a part time 5/8/ bench player at the Dogs. Thurston learnt from his mistakes in real time and adapted quickly. The rest is history.
Kind of right although it took 10 years before the Cowboys saw a premiership and JT played 7 for the Cows and 6 for QLD and Aus.

Last edited:

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So if there aren't enough quality halves, why does the NRL think that expanding the comp is viable?
I’m with you on that, they just see $$$ they don’t see the quality of player is lacking.
[/QUOTE]
Exactly.
What has been happening to NRL has also happened to Qantas and many other premium 'brands'.
A bunch of self-serving greedy execs get control of a business and exploit trust in the brand to squeeze out as much profit as quickly as possible to justify big salaries, bonuses, extravagant lifestyle etc. The cronies in charge work together to intimidate and crush any internal opposition.
Over time and almost imperceptibly, the product itself becomes inferior. Eventually people move on to other brands, which is easy to do in travel or entertainment.
But by the time everyone realises the product/brand has been hollowed out, it's too late.

For me, the most unfair aspect of this is taking advantage of all the mums and dads who put their spare time into supporting grass roots rugby league. Their contribution is exploited by the senior execs. Makes me sick.

I will still always watch every Bulldogs game. But ihalf back options for the greatest rugby league club ever are currently Flanagan and Moses, something is terribly wrong.

My preference is to have faith in the development program.

And consider switching to Singapore Airlines or Etihad...