The "R U OK ?" Thread

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bit of an update, on going tests and scans have shown that the calcium around the optic nerves is thickening. Basically it is turning into a soft bone ( like a chickens wish bone). Only way to fix this may be to have eye surgery like they did before laser was invented. Remove both eyes will still connected of course and remove the calcium. Up to 6 months healing time and 30% chance of going blind if they damaged the optic nerve.
I cant picture waiting 6 months with eyes covered to know if I can see again. 30% chance is too high a risk. Would you take the risk?

Just wanted to share with you and thanks for the nice comments of support
Geez bud 30% is pretty high when it means you could lose your sight.. So if you don’t anything your sight will get worse? Or stabilise without them getting more blurry?

Edit just read the calcium will continue to build up and could snap your optic nerve.. I really feel for you mate.. don’t know what to say..except hopefully somehow it works out for you.. A very tough decision …

Last edited:

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez bud 30% is pretty high when it means you could lose your sight.. So if you don’t anything your sight will get worse? Or stabilise without them getting more blurry?

Edit just read the calcium will continue to build up and could snap your optic nerve.. I really feel for you mate.. don’t know what to say..except hopefully somehow it works out for you.. A very tough decision …
Yes mate. to me 30% is too high. Like 10 people leaving work and knowing 3 wont make it home. sure 7 will. But too me it is too risky. My vision is blurry now and can never return to normal. Some days it is manageable others it is hard to focus, read or type. I am hoping it stays like this for another 25 years so I wont need that surgery.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bit of an update, on going tests and scans have shown that the calcium around the optic nerves is thickening. Basically it is turning into a soft bone ( like a chickens wish bone). Only way to fix this may be to have eye surgery like they did before laser was invented. Remove both eyes will still connected of course and remove the calcium. Up to 6 months healing time and 30% chance of going blind if they damaged the optic nerve.
I cant picture waiting 6 months with eyes covered to know if I can see again. 30% chance is too high a risk. Would you take the risk?

Sounds rough, mate. Hope it works out with a positive outcome for you, whatever you decide.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes mate. to me 30% is too high. Like 10 people leaving work and knowing 3 wont make it home. sure 7 will. But too me it is too risky. My vision is blurry now and can never return to normal. Some days it is manageable others it is hard to focus, read or type. I am hoping it stays like this for another 25 years so I wont need that surgery.
Take it easy man..

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wishing you the best possible outcome possible mate, you will always have many ppl on here who care(even though we may appear cracked at times lol)

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
been having a range of tests, have glaucoma and also now found calcium is growing around my optic nerves. Causes pain and blurry vision.
Not much they can do to remove the calcium, it has already destroyed some of the nerves at back of eye. Life goes on!
Does make it hard to read but least when i do try to read there are a lot of great posts to make me smile on the kennel.
Absolutely terrible news mate just keep your chin up,
I hope the dogs play well next season and bring some joy.
Take care

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks mate. Yes a good season would be a huge boost for me.
Don’t worry we all need a boost lol
I hope the team goes on a massive win streak how good would that be with bumper crowds just like the good old days.
We have fantastic medical staff in this country they will look after you.
Chin up mate.

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Medical Update - I saw my Haematologist yesterday, with largely positive news.

I am halfway through my Chemo treatment, and they reckon my body is already clear of the Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Full course of Chemo to continue, to be sure.

In relation to my Leukemia, the blood tests are now indicating that the CML effected cells is down to 3%. It was 15%, the last time I was told a result and 55% the time before. They want it under 1% before getting too excited. But the downward trend is positive. So current treatment continues.

I also got the results from the Endoscopy and Colonoscopy from a few weeks ago. All clear of anything serious. Only a couple of Hemorrhoids and some indication of Diverticula. Earlier in the year, I had two bouts of black poop (an indication of internal bleeding), a couple of months apart. Both times I had overdone the Nurofen, when in extreme pain. The first time caused by bursitis and tendonitis in the shoulder. The second time, from a broken and badly infected tooth. Both times, it stopped when I stopped using Nurofen. A timely reminder to be cautious about self-medicating.

My white blood cells are still very low, but this is viewed as a natural side effect of the Chemo, as well as the Leukemia treatment. The Chemo sessions more recently are knocking me around worse than earlier sessions. But, given it seems to be working, I'll grin and bear it.

The fight continues, but some good news is very welcome for my morale. I want to thank everyone for the support, kind gestures, public and private messages, thoughts and prayers. This has really helped sustain me, during a very difficult time, while fighting two cancers at once.

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

I am halfway through my Chemo treatment, and they reckon my body is already clear of the Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Full course of Chemo to continue, to be sure.

In relation to my Leukemia, the blood tests are now indicating that the CML effected cells is down to 3%. It was 15%, the last time I was told a result and 55% the time before. They want it under 1% before getting too excited. But the downward trend is positive. So current treatment continues.

I also got the results from the Endoscopy and Colonoscopy from a few weeks ago. All clear of anything serious. Only a couple of Hemorrhoids and some indication of Diverticula. Earlier in the year, I had two bouts of black poop (an indication of internal bleeding), a couple of months apart. Both times I had overdone the Nurofen, when in extreme pain. The first time caused by bursitis and tendonitis in the shoulder. The second time, from a broken and badly infected tooth. Both times, it stopped when I stopped using Nurofen. A timely reminder to be cautious about self-medicating.

My white blood cells are still very low, but this is viewed as a natural side effect of the Chemo, as well as the Leukemia treatment. The Chemo sessions more recently are knocking me around worse than earlier sessions. But, given it seems to be working, I'll grin and bear it.

The fight continues, but some good news is very welcome for my morale. I want to thank everyone for the support, kind gestures, public and private messages, thoughts and prayers. This has really helped sustain me, during a very difficult time, while fighting two cancers at once.
Really appreciate the update. I'm so glad to hear that you are starting to get some good news. Hopefully the sickness from the chemo starts to ease up a bit soon.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

63F5E271-C764-434A-A0EF-C8EE99AB1C10.gif

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

So happy that your news is all positive and well-being plans well in place.

More power to you BW :grinning:

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the update. Hope things keep on improving. Take care mate.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

YOU FKN SOLDIER!

So.happy about this my bro, keep on keeping on!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

That surgery sounds horrific just to think about. Without concrete knowledge of how long you might have left before the rest of your sight deteriorated without the surgery it's a difficult decision.

For what it's worth, I work at a nursing home where a lady close to 90 years old has dropped down to around 15% vision in the last year and a half from having decent vision when I began working there (she gets blood clots in some part of her eyes). She apparently just sees dark outlines now. But she's learning to cope with it. She's learned to count her steps and makes it to and from the dining room unassisted in her late 80's. I used to work at another nursing home where one of the most active ladies there had lost her sight at about 75. She was 97 back when I worked there and walked more laps than just about anyone there. Their positive outlook is inspiring to me and has at times made me feel like a weak bitch when I feel depressed.

So in short, I know the prognosis of potentially losing your sight is horrible, I don't know how much it scares you, but life does go on if you have a fighting spirit with it.

I'm not going to offer advice on going through with the surgery. I will say I hope you find some strength moving forward with whatever choice you make though. Good luck with it either way.