News Big Roy back in the kennel ..

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Image1669601945.826822.jpg

Old news but good news …

FORMER BULLDOG RETURNS TO CLUB

Roy Asotasi has returned to he Bulldogs — the club he won the 2004 NRL premiership with.

According to WWOS, Asotasi has joined the Bulldogs’ staff part-time in a mentoring role.

The former New Zealand captain first joined the club as a player in 2002 and played 84 games

Following his time at the Dogs, Asotasi moved to the Rabbitohs where he became co-captain of the club, holding onto the title until he left following the 2013 season.

“He made a guest appearance this week and the young guys were in raptures over him,” Bulldogs boss Gould told WWOS.

“He said he’d like to help mentor kids in our Academy program.

“The more the merrier. You can never have too many good people in your football club and it’s great to have him on board.”

Man this bloke was a weapon … hope he’s working with Pele ..

Another one we should never have let go of ..

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Most of them just stand around at training, they come in and do 2 min drill then stand back on the sideline
this is a concern. You don't just invest in the assets of past champions without a scheduled one on one and group mentoring program so their engagement is properly utilised across juniors and FG players. Surely this is happening.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully James Graham is next on the list. Hasnt been many more skillful forwards the jammer, also one of the toughest and most fearless. Youd think some of his brain trauma was caused during his stay at the club so the least we could do. Even if it is in a media capacity roll. Zap has had his time. Jammer and Ennis being ex captains should be here in any roll.

Ps the gang is coming back hey. Shrek, Reni, Mason now Roy. If they had never left you could only image what we could have achieved. Anyways like gus said the more the merrier. Most of these kids wouldnt have been born in 04 (the ones they are mentoring atleast) but to have club legends and premiership winners walking through the gates and helping you develop your game as a kid, must be a huge boost.

Liverpoolbulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Hopefully James Graham is next on the list. Hasnt been many more skillful forwards the jammer, also one of the toughest and most fearless. Youd think some of his brain trauma was caused during his stay at the club so the least we could do. Even if it is in a media capacity roll. Zap has had his time. Jammer and Ennis being ex captains should be here in any roll.

Ps the gang is coming back hey. Shrek, Reni, Mason now Roy. If they had never left you could only image what we could have achieved. Anyways like gus said the more the merrier. Most of these kids wouldnt have been born in 04 (the ones they are mentoring atleast) but to have club legends and premiership winners walking through the gates and helping you develop your game as a kid, must be a huge boost.

someone is a bit behind

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
someone is a bit behind
Yeah Jammers just in a media role though, would prefer to see him coaching the forwards …

Gus doing what he did at the Panthers, putting the right people in the right places to train and nurture these kids he’s bringing on board ..

Rebuilding from the bottom up ..

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Andrew Ryan’s back as well ..

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He should have never left and wore that disgusting jersey anyway
Right…. He should have stayed and played for peanuts.

Can’t blame him for leaving. The club had cap pressure and had to let some players go. It’s a shame we didn’t keep him because Mason was gone soon after, anyway.

Also, Souths have a great jersey. A proud jersey with a lot of history. If I had to play for snother club, I’d want it to be souths.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Right…. He should have stayed and played for peanuts.

Can’t blame him for leaving. The club had cap pressure and had to let some players go. It’s a shame we didn’t keep him because Mason was gone soon after, anyway.

Also, Souths have a great jersey. A proud jersey with a lot of history. If I had to play for snother club, I’d want it to be souths.
So agonisingly close.
Agree with the top half of your post.
Then you got to the cardinal and myrtle.
Hand me the barf bag :-).

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So agonisingly close.
Agree with the top half of your post.
Then you got to the cardinal and myrtle.
Hand me the barf bag :-).
Agree..that bullshit spiel was unnecessary lol

Roy is more a Rabbit than a Dog imo but was a great player it can only be good him working with our forwards now and next year..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was unfortunate in hindsight that we ultimately had to decide between Asotasi and SBW as the forward to lead us through our rebuild after the cap disaster. Asotasi really was the key to South's change in culture back then.

If his presence held bring about some of that old fighting bulldog spirit it'll be great.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Creamed Ennis that time, will be good to have 04 legend about and make friends with the team.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Never understand why people get carried away with ex players coming back to help coach. It's not like it helped us the past few years ...

As long as our main coaches are on top of their game, I couldn't care less who comes in to support

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never understand why people get carried away with ex players coming back to help coach. It's not like it helped us the past few years ...

As long as our main coaches are on top of their game, I couldn't care less who comes in to support
I think you’ll find these guys will be mainly working with the younger players in the lower grades …

That’s a Gus move, put good people in the system to help nurture the young kids through to 1st grade ..

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I've never played competitive team sport at any sort of elite level, so I of course couldn't claim to be an expert on well, anything much, but i see people get all excited about ex players joining up for whatever and TBH, I need to know more about HOW they will be contributing towards our next premiership other than "it will be great to have them around the boys".

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've never played competitive team sport at any sort of elite level, so I of course couldn't claim to be an expert on well, anything much, but i see people get all excited about ex players joining up for whatever and TBH, I need to know more about HOW they will be contributing towards our next premiership other than "it will be great to have them around the boys".
Yeah, exactly.

Nothing wrong with ex players coming in but over the years we've seen in plenty of times and it's done nought.

I just want to see the main coaching structure right. Having these ex players isn't necessarily a bad thing but all a drop in the ocean for me.

If the main coaching team is shit then it won't make a difference who we bring in