Any More BIG NAME signings before season '23?

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weren’t we paying players like Eastwood 800k when the cap was lower.
I have no problem splashing a million at Mitchell Mose. There’s not many 7’s out there and it would give us time to develop one.
Des troyers brilliant backended deals. Beastwood was on 800k in his last year but was on not muchbfirst couple of years.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
...and yet wants Thurston/Cronk/Cleary money.
You're kidding right? Thurston was on $350k when the Salary Cap was $3.1m, when the Salary Cap was $6.1m he was on $1m, both plus TPA's which topped out at $500k+. That's 16% of the Cap for 1 player and with the 2023 Cap to be ~$12m an equivalent 16% would be $1.9m.

Obviously I'm not in any way suggesting that Moses is worth "Thurston money", but equivalent to half of "Thurston money" is not as far fetched as some would make out.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Weren’t we paying players like Eastwood 800k when the cap was lower.
I have no problem splashing a million at Mitchell Mose. There’s not many 7’s out there and it would give us time to develop one.
That was Hasler back loaded, he was on $350k in year 1, $580k in year 2 and $800k in year 3. Eastwood was well and truly worth his average of $575k, but the back end value was ridiculous.

Always a Bulldog

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
~$12m an equivalent
Cap will be structured very differently to then, with a lot more channeled to the lower end by way of minimums, etc.
I would also expect the '23 cap to be much closer to $11mil, with it maybe going up over the CBA term towards $12mil-ish. We really don't know and all of the actual contract numbers are speculation/guesswork, except for the very trustworthy cap auditors/NRL management.

16% of $11mil is $1.76mil - I doubt any player will be getting that under the cap given its pending structure - even Thurston.
Under $11Mil you might be going to $1.5-$1.55Mil "under the cap" (around 14% maybe) for a Superstar (a Thurston-like, Munster maybe if you're desperate for a marquee - like the Dolphins).

Your next level down (Elites) maybe 11-12%-ish ($1.2-$1.3Mil or a bit more if the desperate choose to overpay). [Cleary at the moment]

And then next tier down again (Excellent) maybe 10-11% ($1.1-$1.2Mil). This is where Moses probably ended up last year (at times), but in years past hasn't performed at that level, especially on big stages (his average has been "very good", not "excellent").

So, very good is more like 9%-10% ($1Mil-$1.1 under the new cap. Would be $940k under the current one, which seems about right) and anything beyond that is bordering on "overs"/desperate money or paying on "potential" (has he hit his peak or does he have another level - I think it's the former). I don't think we need gambling on Moses at this point in the re-build (particularly because I don't rate his ability to improve our junior halves - like say a Cronk would). But, just my opnion and it is all based on speculation/unknowns anyway (like what the cap actually is/will be and what players are actually earning under it).

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm nervous about the Laurie situation, hopefully Knights make him a ridiculous offer.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Cap will be structured very differently to then, with a lot more channeled to the lower end by way of minimums, etc.
I would also expect the '23 cap to be much closer to $11mil, with it maybe going up over the CBA term towards $12mil-ish. We really don't know and all of the actual contract numbers are speculation/guesswork, except for the very trustworthy cap auditors/NRL management.

16% of $11mil is $1.76mil - I doubt any player will be getting that under the cap given its pending structure - even Thurston.
Under $11Mil you might be going to $1.5-$1.55Mil "under the cap" (around 14% maybe) for a Superstar (a Thurston-like, Munster maybe if you're desperate for a marquee - like the Dolphins).

Your next level down (Elites) maybe 11-12%-ish ($1.2-$1.3Mil or a bit more if the desperate choose to overpay). [Cleary at the moment]

And then next tier down again (Excellent) maybe 10-11% ($1.1-$1.2Mil). This is where Moses probably ended up last year (at times), but in years past hasn't performed at that level, especially on big stages (his average has been "very good", not "excellent").

So, very good is more like 9%-10% ($1Mil-$1.1 under the new cap. Would be $940k under the current one, which seems about right) and anything beyond that is bordering on "overs"/desperate money or paying on "potential" (has he hit his peak or does he have another level - I think it's the former). I don't think we need gambling on Moses at this point in the re-build (particularly because I don't rate his ability to improve our junior halves - like say a Cronk would). But, just my opnion and it is all based on speculation/unknowns anyway (like what the cap actually is/will be and what players are actually earning under it).
The RLPA ask is well published and the minimum NRL player Top 30 goes up from $125k to $150k and on each team there are probably not much more than a handful of players on the minimum. As a result a $25k increase each has a very minor effect on the total Cap value.

Due to COVID the Cap was reduced by 20% in 2020 and another 6% in 2021, that has to be reversed and then the additional media rights revenue for 2023 onwards added. The RLPA is also asking for $650k to be added to the Cap so that clubs can have 40 NRL contacted players. The NRL has admitted that their revenue (as distinct from the Clubs' revenues) wasn't as badly affected by COVID as they anticipated and the 20% + 6% reductions weren't actually justified.

The RLPA is expecting a Cap at close to $12m and they are holding very firm on that, that's why the negotiations are ongoing and the Cap for 2023 STILL hasn't been announced.

We all know it's just opinions, but some people are still immersed in the thinking of the Salary Cap being $9m, some are stuck back when it is was $6m. The reality is that a $1m player from 2018 is now, 5 years later, a $1.3m player in 2023.

Always a Bulldog

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That was Hasler back loaded, he was on $350k in year 1, $580k in year 2 and $800k in year 3. Eastwood was well and truly worth his average of $575k, but the back end value was ridiculous.

Always a Bulldog
You knew we were in trouble when we were paying 800k for him to play reserve grade

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's a sideways move + Panther, no thanks.
At this point, I think we're hoping Avo comes good. With a pre-season with him preparing to be a fullback not a half and Mick Potters guidance,maybe he will

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
At this point, I think we're hoping Avo comes good. With a pre-season with him preparing to be a fullback not a half and Mick Potters guidance,maybe he will
I've said it before but we lose nothing giving him a full preseason and another opportunity at fullback. If there were genuinely good options available on the market then it's a different story but right now there just isn't anyone...we miss out on Laurie? Lol who cares. 2024 recruitment will also be delayed imo, NRL still hasn't settled on the cap for next season so I doubt players will be rushing to complete deals for the following year like we've seen in the past.

A lot of Jake's issues are mental rather than skill related anyway, bloke dead set looked like a zombie at times last season to then looking visibly frustrated for not receiving the ball and then back to a zombie. The Sharks game is a good example, conditions were absolutely horrible yet he didn't drop a bomb and was picking up balls at ankle height on the run and attempting a 1st tackle chip and chase....then only weeks later post Covid he was allergic to the ball.

A full preseason at fullback could do wonders for him, learn the role, build some confidence and understand that he's got to meet certain standards if he wants to play NRL footy (this applies to everyone and hopefully it's something Ciraldo does). I also feel he's more likely to grow if the teams doing well and we gets off to a good start. If the teams more structured and works more effectively as unit and the likes of Burton, Mahoney, Kikau (not going to mention Flanagan) really nail their roles then there will be opportunities for him to take advantage of and hopefully settle in the role. Even if he doesn't we can try Perham, Kiraz or even Rajab down the track. We also have Papalii who could be a potential option in 24 if he has a soldi run in NSW cup this year.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Due to COVID the Cap was reduced by 20% in 2020 and another 6% in 2021,
Yep, no problem. Call the Cap currently $9.7mil (with the Vet/Dev of $200k & Car Allowance of $100k within that figure).

minimum NRL player Top 30 goes up from $125k to $150k
In 2022, minimum for players 1-26 is $120k. Players 27-30 is $80k. So, straight away $280k has to go to the bottom four of the top 30 to keep them on the new minimum. Let's say another four in 1-26 are on the $120k minimum. That's another $120k to keep them on the new minimum. That's another $400k. So, $9.7Mil becomes $10.1Mil before any incremental increases can go to the top dogs.

If you get a new cap of $11Mil, then you have +$900k to throw around your top 22 remaining (average ~$41k - but no doubt will be skewed towards the top). If you get higher than that, either up front for '23 or as it ratchets up over '24+, then of course you get a bit more to splash around.

asking for $650k to be added to the Cap so that clubs can have 40 NRL contacted players.
Under the new cap, or in addition to? My "working figure" of $11Mil with the 30-40 group of +$650k is getting on toward the $12Mil (especially if it ratchets up over the course of the CBA, like they have done previously).

Again, speculation and opinion, but I don't think Moses warrants 10% of our cap.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep, no problem. Call the Cap currently $9.7mil (with the Vet/Dev of $200k & Car Allowance of $100k within that figure).

In 2022, minimum for players 1-26 is $120k. Players 27-30 is $80k. So, straight away $280k has to go to the bottom four of the top 30 to keep them on the new minimum. Let's say another four in 1-26 are on the $120k minimum. That's another $120k to keep them on the new minimum. That's another $400k. So, $9.7Mil becomes $10.1Mil before any incremental increases can go to the top dogs.

If you get a new cap of $11Mil, then you have +$900k to throw around your top 22 remaining (average ~$41k - but no doubt will be skewed towards the top). If you get higher than that, either up front for '23 or as it ratchets up over '24+, then of course you get a bit more to splash around.

Under the new cap, or in addition to? My "working figure" of $11Mil with the 30-40 group of +$650k is getting on toward the $12Mil (especially if it ratchets up over the course of the CBA, like they have done previously).

Again, speculation and opinion, but I don't think Moses warrants 10% of our cap.
10% of this seems more reasonable
41bQaHhELCL._AC_SY1100_.jpg

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You boys sure love math

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've said it before but we lose nothing giving him a full preseason and another opportunity at fullback. If there were genuinely good options available on the market then it's a different story but right now there just isn't anyone...we miss out on Laurie? Lol who cares. 2024 recruitment will also be delayed imo, NRL still hasn't settled on the cap for next season so I doubt players will be rushing to complete deals for the following year like we've seen in the past.

A lot of Jake's issues are mental rather than skill related anyway, bloke dead set looked like a zombie at times last season to then looking visibly frustrated for not receiving the ball and then back to a zombie. The Sharks game is a good example, conditions were absolutely horrible yet he didn't drop a bomb and was picking up balls at ankle height on the run and attempting a 1st tackle chip and chase....then only weeks later post Covid he was allergic to the ball.

A full preseason at fullback could do wonders for him, learn the role, build some confidence and understand that he's got to meet certain standards if he wants to play NRL footy (this applies to everyone and hopefully it's something Ciraldo does). I also feel he's more likely to grow if the teams doing well and we gets off to a good start. If the teams more structured and works more effectively as unit and the likes of Burton, Mahoney, Kikau (not going to mention Flanagan) really nail their roles then there will be opportunities for him to take advantage of and hopefully settle in the role. Even if he doesn't we can try Perham, Kiraz or even Rajab down the track. We also have Papalii who could be a potential option in 24 if he has a soldi run in NSW cup this year.
That parra game shows what he’s capable of. Most fullbacks don’t intercept that let alone run through to score. I hope we give him a good chance instead of rushing in and getting someone like Laurie fkn lol. Avo needs some confidence and time in the 1 cause he definitely has the skills.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

FWIW, the minimum goes up $5k per year as per the previous EBA, the minimum NRL contract is $125k currently, ie; for Season 2023, it was $120k for Season 2022.

It's all in the RLPA submission which Clint Newton from the RLPA has been sprouting around the media for weeks. It also has majority support from the clubs, it may even by unanimous as I haven't heard any descenters.

What I posted back in October.
It's complicated, things to keep in mind;
  • This (2022) years Cap is $9.2m due to the 6% Covid reduction.
  • Without that it should be $9.7m.
  • But there was no increase from 2020 or 2021 due again to Covid, so 2022 should have been ~$10.4m.
  • The NRL club grants have stayed at $13m since 2018.
  • The broadcast revenue increase is ~15% for each club plus an extra club added (Dolphins) from next season onwards.
  • It also increases if/when an 18th club is added, so the existing 17 club grants do not decrease.
  • As a result the NRL club grants should go up to ~$16m.
  • Commonly the NRL allocates around 75% of the grant to the Salary Cap, so 16 x 75% = $11.94m.
  • The media round that up, which is where the $12m comes from.
  • Not all NRL players are on ratchet contracts, most likely a minority as it makes managing the salary very difficult for the clubs.
  • The minimum value contracts will of course increase in line with the Cap, that's in the EBA.
It sounds like a huge step going from $9.2m this year to $12m next year but it's not that simple.

What has been announced since then;
Confirmed minimum contract $150k (up from $125k) and the Veteran and Developed Player $500k (up from $200k) both of these are included in the base Cap. The RLPA have also demanded an additional 10 players with an extra $650k above the base Cap (whatever it is) to fit them in, making 40 x NRL Contracted players.

If my original maths of $11.94m for the base Cap is correct then add $650k = $12.59m for the 40 x players on NRL Contracts.

Always a Bulldog