News Bulldogs circle English star

Craystar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Article from Carayannis about Dogs and other clubs circling an english star...

Im not subscribed to any papers so could some savvy computer nerd post up this article?!

I'm not too excited about the Dogs link, i want to see what 20k work of equipment was stolen from a Channel 9 crew...If the bandits are ever caught i want to personally buy them a slab each!

Screenshot_20221117-191259_Twitter.jpg

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Article from Carayannis about Dogs and other clubs circling an english star...

Im not subscribed to any papers so could some savvy computer nerd post up this article?!

I'm not too excited about the Dogs link, i want to see what 20k work of equipment was stolen from a Channel 9 crew...If the bandits are ever caught i want to personally buy them a slab each!

View attachment 61330

Sport Confidential: Thieves steal $20k worth of equipment from Channel 9 Rugby League World Cup crew | Daily Telegraph
A week after Lebanon players performed a citizen’s arrest on a thief at their team hotel, the World Cup has been rocked by another stealing scandal after equipment worth more than $20,000 was taken from the Nine Network.

Nine reporter Emma Lawrence and cameraman Cade Thompson woke on Thursday morning England time to find the window of their car smashed and their reporting gear stolen.

They immediately notified police and the search is underway to recover the equipment. In the meantime, they have had replacement equipment sent from London to ensure they can cover the rest of the tour.

This latest incident happened just weeks after Lebanon were hit by thieves twice in their team room. The first time they stole team gear and laptops but on the second occasion members of the squad chased down the alleged culprit before handing him over to police.

Channel 9 reporter Emma Lawrence.
Channel 9 reporter Emma Lawrence.
NRL CLUBS LINE UP TO SIGN ENGLISH STAR

Fresh from John Bateman’s impending return to the NRL another Englishman is set to make a comeback to rugby league in Australia.

George Williams is on the radar of a host of clubs who have made it known they want to sign the former Canberra Raider for 2024. Williams, who still has two years left to run on his contract with Warrington, is known to be considering returning to the NRL after an acrimonious split with the Raiders midway through last year.

A host of NRL clubs are keen to sign England star George Williams. Picture: Getty Images
A host of NRL clubs are keen to sign England star George Williams. Picture: Getty Images
A number of NRL clubs are already circling after he impressed during his 18-month stint at Canberra. Williams shone for England during the tournament to beat out the likes of Nathan Cleary, Jahrome Hughes and Anthony Milford and claim the halfback spot in the World Cup team of the tournament.

Williams, 28, played just 28 games for the Raiders before his high-profile exit.

Williams told Fox Sports this week that he would “never write off” an NRL return – blaming Covid-19 for part of the reason why he had to return home.

George Williams played 28 games for the Raiders from 2019-2020. Picture: Getty Images
George Williams played 28 games for the Raiders from 2019-2020. Picture: Getty Images
His potential NRL return was all the talk in the English camp in recent weeks.

So too was that of his former Canberra teammate, Bateman, who is expected to join the Tigers’ growing formidable forward pack.

Bateman was telling his English teammates that he had put his house in Wigan on the market and his Australian partner had already returned home in preparation for his switch to the Tigers.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens confirmed talks with Bateman were ongoing.

The Daily Telegraph NRL Podcast
Don't call it a Hastings/Klemmer player swap

BULLDOGS SIGN SAMOAN CUP STAR

Samoan international Fa’amanu Brown looks likely to return to the Bulldogs four years after finishing with the club when he thought his NRL career was over.

Brown has agreed to a 12-month contract with Canterbury after this year resurrecting his career with the Tigers, having featured in 13 games.

It will be Brown’s second stint at Canterbury after playing 12 matches in two years. When he left the Bulldogs at the end of 2019 he had a severe foot injury which looked career ending.

Brown preserved and now will be a front runner for the bench utility spot and provide strong back-up to starting rake Reed Mahoney. Concussion has ruled him out of the World Cup final.

Samoan international Fa'amanu Brown is set to join the Bulldogs in 2023, after playing 13 games for the Wests Tigers in 2022. Picture: Getty Images.
Samoan international Fa'amanu Brown is set to join the Bulldogs in 2023, after playing 13 games for the Wests Tigers in 2022. Picture: Getty Images.
PANTHERS’ RE-SIGNING SPREE

Penrith have tied down the reliable Matt Eisenhuth for the next two seasons. Eisenhuth has been unlucky to miss out on Penrith’s past two grand final wins, having played 35 matches in his first two seasons at the club.

The 30-year-old prop was off contract but has agreed to remain at the club on a multi-year deal.

The Panthers also expect utility Jaeman Salmon to remain for at least one more season.

SHARKS LOCK IN ANOTHER HOOKER

Cronulla have locked in another Brailey long-term. And guess what – he is a hooker too.

Taj Brailey – the younger brother of NRL stars Blayke and Jayden — has signed a two-year deal to remain at the Sharks.

Brailey is following in the footsteps of his brothers having been picked in the NSW Combined Catholic Colleges (CCC) under 18s team.

SU’A’S DRAGONS PLEDGE

St George Illawarra forward Jaydn Su’A says he will be back at the Dragons next season, putting to bed suggestions he wants out of the club.

Su’A, who will be a key performer for Samoa in Sunday morning’s (AEDT) World Cup final against Australia, was linked with a move away from the Dragons towards the end of their faltering season.

“I’ll be there,” Su’A said.

Jaydn Su’A.
Jaydn Su’A.
BURGESS BACK IN THE BURROW

These are the first images of Sam Burgess back as a Rabbitoh. Burgess has rejoined the club is part of the coaching staff where he will work with the forwards. coaching staff in a role which is still yet to be clearly defined.

“Sam joins an outstanding NRL coaching team in Jason Demetriou, Ben Hornby and John Morris,” said South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly. “It is great to have him back at the club and join three of the best young coaches in the game.”

In another good sign for the Rabbitohs, Origin players Jai Arrow and Cody Walker have returned to training to take part in some sessions.

The pair weren’t due back until the end of the month.

Sam Burgess has returned to the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
Sam Burgess has returned to the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
SMITH TAKES NORWAY DETOUR TO BONDI

Brandon Smith won’t be spending his off-season partying away his World Cup blues. The Sydney Roosters-bound star will instead go hiking in Norway with his partner as he looks to ensure he makes a flying start at his new club next year and sets a good example for his younger brother, Jayden.

“I am staying away from Amsterdam this off season,” Smith told Confidential.

“I am going to Norway and doing some mountain climbing. Hopefully I can get a bit fitter from that.”

Smith is relishing the thought of spending the pre-season preparing himself for a full season at hooker. He is also ready to embrace the role of leader to his younger brother, who joined the Roosters from Queensland.

It's A Funny Game with Boo Bailey.
It's A Funny Game with Boo Bailey.
“I am looking forward to it,” Smith said.

“My little brother has just moved there — he has a contract with the Roosters at the moment. He is still 18, it is a foot in the door.

“I think it will be a real good turning point for me and I am happy to be a role model for him, and show him the way.

“Hopefully he can learn a few things off me. He will be living with me down there so I am looking forward for that and taking on some responsibility for once.

“I am excited for a new scene and I get to play hooker — I get to train at hooker all the pre-season. It is a new chapter in my life.”

FROZEN OUT: TOOVS’ SNUB CONTINUES

Perhaps there does need to be an investigation. Geoff Toovey has knocked on plenty of doors in his attempt to find a way back into the NRL but he has been unable to find any takers.

The best advertisement for his coaching credentials may be Samoa’s performance at the World Cup.

Toovey is part of Matt Parish’s coaching staff, playing a leading role in the nation’s remarkable performance in England.

Keep your eye out and you will see him at Old Trafford, running onto the field and barking instructions as the blue shirt for the underdog Samoans.

Geoff Toovey remains on the lookout for an NRL coaching gig, after helping take Samoa to the World Cup final.
Geoff Toovey remains on the lookout for an NRL coaching gig, after helping take Samoa to the World Cup final.
Parish and Toovey were on the coaching staff at Manly together some years ago and the pair have been reunited at Samoa, the cinderella story of the World Cup.

Toovey won a World Cup as a player himself so he knows what it takes to hold aloft the trophy on final day.

He also knows what it takes to be an NRL coach and he hasn’t given up hope of getting back there. He remains in the market for a job if one becomes available.

“I tried to get back in but it is a pretty small organisation that gives you those opportunities,” Toovey said.

“Being away for a period now, it can be difficult to get a foot in the door. This would be incredible.

“Again, I am only an assistant coach here. I am supporting those other coaches.”

INDIGENOUS SIDE WOULD DIVIDE, NOT CONQUER

The International Rugby League has moved quickly to tone down suggestions an Australian Indigenous side could play in future World Cups.

The idea was floated by freshly-minted All Stars coach Ron Griffiths, but it would seem impossible under the rules for World Cup qualification, even though IRL boss Troy Grant conceded the precedent had been set when a New Zealand Maoris side played in the 2000 tournament.

“Competitors in the World Cup are member nations who qualify through a qualification process and have to be full or affiliate members which have a matrix to gain that status,” Grant said.

“An Indigenous team is not a member. It is possible as a precedent was set at the RLWC 2000 when NZ Kiwis and a NZ Māori team both competed.

“I’m unaware of the circumstances that allowed that to happen. If an application was received for an Indigenous team to compete it would be considered by the IRL board but could not disadvantage the members who had qualified.”

Angus Crichton talks to the media at Carrington Training Ground in Manchester. Picture: Nathan Stirk/Getty Images
Angus Crichton talks to the media at Carrington Training Ground in Manchester. Picture: Nathan Stirk/Getty Images
The biggest hurdle in any Indigenous proposal would be showing how it didn’t disadvantage Australia.

The current Kangaroos squad is loaded with Indigenous players. If they were unavailable, it would significantly weaken the Australian side.

Back rower Angus Crichton — who started up the First People Project, a charity that helps to mentor young Indigenous students through their school life so they navigate the challenges that confront them — was also quick to stress that the Australian side was a force for unity.

Crichton was at pains to tread warily around the issue but he is not a supporter of dividing the playing group.

“The way I see it, Indigenous Australia and white Australia, I don’t think we need to divide it,” Crichton said.

“I want it to be integrated and I want everyone to get on as one. That is part of the stuff I do.

“I love representing Australia with my Indigenous brothers. I feel like that would be a backward step in may opinion, but that is just my opinion.”

ROOS MOVE IN ON MAN UTD SPACE

The Kangaroos’ World Cup semi-final victory over New Zealand didn’t just guarantee them a place in the final, it secured them the home sheds at Old Trafford.

The same shed where the likes Cristiano Ronaldo (for now) and Marcus Rashford use the lockers and showers.

England rugby star Tom Curry.
England rugby star Tom Curry.
SEIBOLD ANOINTS RUGBY CROSSOVER STAR

Anthony Seibold addressed the media in England this week and nominated Tom Curry as the one player who could switch from rugby union to rugby league and be a star.

The 24-year-old Curry has already played 42 Tests for England, primarily as a flanker. Seibold could see him making his mark in the NRL.

“I’ve always said Tom Curry would be an outstanding rugby league player,” Seibold said.

“He’s one of the world’s best rugby players in either code, full stop. I have great admiration for his toughness, his work ethic, his skill level.”

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Where's the drunken gronks news article about Burgess joining the rabbits coaching staff....
Not OK for Jackson to retire then take a job with the club but guess it's all good for Burgess....

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Williams isn't available until 2025 and will be 30 then. So won't be a very long term solution and need to wait 2 years. By then I reckon we will be sorted already

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep, transfer fees would apply to get a release if they even agreed..too many hurdles I'd say.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Realise that still doesn't stop him potentially being "overpriced"..

I'm neither a yay or ney on this guy tbh I've hardly watched him in fact.Obviously vastly better than Flanno but I'd rather pay more for Moses.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id say Gus is working hard to make this happen.

He ain't stupid. Financially this would be a better play that money bags moses and imo just as good as Moses without the tude

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
potentially being "overpriced"
In list management terms, "overpriced" means value received per CAP DOLLAR spent.
If it ain't on the cap, then it is largely immaterial. Obviously, there isn't an endless pit of money, but a couple of hundred thousand that isn't on the cap but makes your roster far more competitive is not a serious consideration for the bean counters.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Williams is childhood friends with Sutton. Followed Sutton to the Raiders.

Haven't you ever wondered why we pursued and signed Sutton when he's nothing that special ?

Williams has the perfect short kicking game for a player like Nanai.

Gus rates Nanai the best backrower ever.

Last edited:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Williams is childhood friends with Sutton. Followed Sutton to the Raiders.

Haven't you ever wondered why we pursued and signed Sutton when he's nothing that special ?

Williams has the perfect short kicking game for a player like Nanai.

Gus rates Nanai the best backrower ever.
Imagine a backrow of kikau and Nanai? Wow

Williams at 7 would be ideal and would make alot more sense for Sutton than it does to me now. That said moses is outstanding too.